Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: converting a matchbox STINGRAY (now with pics)  (Read 6915 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
converting a matchbox STINGRAY (now with pics)
« on: December 30, 2006, 12:47:28 pm »

I have been thinking about stingray for a while now, so ive just bought an old matchbox toy of which i am going to convert.

I had it when i was about 5 or 6 yrs old and obviously got rid of it, but managed to track one down at a shop we've known for years that sells all movie, sci-fi collectables etc. if it exists he will have it (we hate it cos whenever you go in there threre's always something you want) anyway back when dad got it for me it was probably about £20 and yesterday it cost me £60.

Its very rare now in fact to quote the guy in the shop "its like rocking horse **** "

and rather than keep it mint in box for years to come.... i'm going to rip it apart (or rather did rip it apart last night)

Its about 12 inches long, made of plastic and im planning on a surface runner but if anyone has any ideas on making it dynamic diving then im all ears, i will post pics at some point so you can get an idea

Happy New Year :)

Grant :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: converting a matchbox STINGRAY
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:30:57 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 09:06:44 pm »

Martin Ill tell you when i get to see the video. I cant see it at the moment because the useless internet cafe im using doesnt keep their software updated so it wont play the file. They're quick enough to take your money but then dont want to provide a proper service >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.

But if anyone else has videos please post them or if anyones seen one id like to know how it behaves in the water as im going completely in the dark with this so far.

I might take it down the lake tomorrow and ask the guys and maybe tie to a bit of string :-\ to get a very rough idea of how it will behave id mainly like to know if it will sit nicely or skip along the water or "dig" itself under etc. anything i can gather really.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 12:00:52 pm »

Grant i'm sure some of the guys over at SubPirates have done this conversion.
SubPirates thread

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 01:02:22 pm »

Yeah ive seen this thread on sub pirates and i sent the guy a PM but on his thread it hasnt been updated recently and he doesnt talk about how hes getting it to dive etc. i presume he is making it dive as he talks about submerging the hull to check for leaks.

And looking at that picture martin that one isnt mine that looks like a kit of somesort or maybe a scratchbuilt.

i keep meaning to take some pics of it but keep forgetting. :-[ :-[

Will keep you posted.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 02:59:16 pm »

I think he's going to make her a dynamic dver only as there's just not enough room in there for any sort of ballast system. The fins on the side of the main body can be made workable so i'd guess thats how he's doing his.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 10:51:38 am »

Thanks Davie, I thought as much, it seems the best option.

Anyway here are some pictures i took tkis morning

Geoff

Re: converting a matchbox STINGRAY (now with pics)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:13:01 pm »

Whilst not directly about a working stingray, I still have the original plastic version which you got by sending off a certain number of Zoom wrappers to TV21 (Anyone else remember the comic?) and its exactly the same size.

I also have an original Fireball XL5 from the same source.

Anyone know what they are worth today? I always suspected not very much.

Sadly I also have a collection of TV21 from issues no 5 to about 30 ish but not in good condition and can still see the old adverts for Stingray!

And yes I do own a blue annorac!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:34:59 pm »

Have a look on "Gerry Anderson" on ebay. If they are in good nick might get a good price. G.A. memorabilia has went down in price due to the climate and re manufacture of some of the old stuff. Can also have a look at Fanderson to see whats happening lately.   There was an 18-20 model hull of stingray on ebay some time ago but the price was high.

Seaspray

excalibur

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 11:11:53 pm »

This one?....

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/wwwpics/DSCN0668.MOV

2.5Meg Quicktime

i have had that idea for awile so i have drawing up a , well lets say a plan of the side and top view of the stingray ..i have kept some of the build pictures..and when i discover how to post them i will put them on but at the moment im still thinking of how to do the drive system....

hope these might help as this is a couple of them if i find the rest even the plan i will put the picture on ...hopes this works as its my first post

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 07:13:14 pm »

Very Nice To.
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

andyn

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »

Resurrecting an old thread... I've just bought one to convert, will post pics as I go along :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »

Love it mate, me and Mark have been well at the nostalgia this morning and have just ended up watching an episode of Roobarb and Custard {-)

I'd love to build this one though: http://www.westway-aircraft-models.com/22.html Maybe once I've done the Type 7...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.