Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rigging info needed  (Read 2915 times)

bobk

Rigging info needed
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »

Can anyone help please?   I am searching for any hints tips and techniques in re-making ships rigging for a WW1 cruiser.  I appreciate it will look totally different from period three-deckers, but info seems almost non existant on how to rig it properly with realistic 'terminations' rather than the simple eyelets with 'granny knots' I am so keen to replace.

Any books you could recommend, good definition photos (so rare for this era), or even part of a photo-illustrated build for a warship circa 1906.   {:-{

bobk

Re: Rigging info needed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:48 pm »

OK, I had hoped that some of you warship rigging experts might have been able to give me some pointers, possibly with links to photo's.  However, despite very little online, or even books about post 3-decker rigging, I am going to make a start adapting what I can find.  My incomplete model has hooks that scale two feet diameter with illogically positioned saggy stays right alongside gun barrels.   %%  Refit needed !

Two main sample pics as a start point.  Deans HMS Hannibal (ten years earlier), and a painting of a Borodino class from similar year to mine.

Main stays I intend using 1 mm rigging thread, other standing rigging 0.75.  Small eyelets into deck in what seems the most logical positions, with tiny shackles which I intend making from thin copper wire.  Mast & yard fixing points bound similar to contemporary pictures.

Running rigging using 0.5 mm thread, such as as signal halyards, of which there appear to be loads, to be made up with small single 3 mm wood blocks, plus pin rails with small brass belaying pins as below.

Am I thinking along the right lines here?  Please understand I have never done model ship rigging before   :D
At 1/96 scale a big magnifier is needed, I can just about thread the blocks using 5A fuse wire to pull the thread through.

Photos to follow - If I can get the camera to focus that close.

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:35:26 pm »

Bob for standing and running rigging I use a mix of very fine wires (often from windings from electric motors and wires from
flytying shops.) I also use several types of cotton thread (suitably waxed or coated in watered down pva glue to get rid of the
hairy bits.  I like you model in 1/96 scale and 1mm is just a smidgen under 4 inches in this scale so you may want to come down
in size.  I used 0.018mm wire for funnel guys etc and it looks about the right size.

Geoff

bobk

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:22:18 pm »

Thank you Geoff.  Advice much appreciated.  You are right about the 4 inches now I work it out, I just got some of each size from the local model shop to try.  I was not too sure whether wire vs thread might be best either.  ie keeping it taut over time, and as a 'working' boat that goes out most Sundays. 
I was considering adding funnel guys, many ships of the era with taller funnels seem to have them.  I think it would look 'right' if I did.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.