Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Start of my cat build  (Read 1465 times)

neilb

Start of my cat build
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »

Right finally decided to do this build some ppl might think that is not the boat to start with and you might be right but seen a few ppl start with them and they seem to do it well, now with the help the boat will be 1.1meter in length and the tunnel width will be 5.5 inches, i have heard ppl make this a little bigger due to my length, what would you people say to this and what should i take it to 6.5inches, soppose this will give it better cornering ?

Next question what size ply should i use for the frame and skin please, ?

Hope this is all at the moment

the start of a good build i will tell you that

:-))

MikeA

Re: Start of my cat build
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:47:57 am »

that looks to me like the pdf download plan. As far as the tunnel is concerned, i would if i was you keep the width and length the same ratio as the plan suggests, by all means make the boat bigger if you wish but keep the ratios the same. These boats are designed very precisely with lots of maths involved. if the tunnel is too big it will create too much lift and flip your boat.

one of the reasons why this boat is not a good starter is because the framework has to be dead square. During drying the frame work has a tendency to warp and twist so as the vaka's (if this is the correct word) are no longer parallel. Even more so when the outer skin is put on. You will have to come up with a method to prevent this warping during drying  because if 1 vaka is higher than the other it will be in contact with more water causing unbalanced drag which at slow speeds will cause the cat to corner and on plane could be disastrous.

for the frame i would use 1/4 inch balsa or 3mm ply and for the sides 1.5mm ply. But this is my preference other people will dispute this no doubt but unladen this hull could be under 800 grams. keep us posted with your build and good luck!! :-))

neilb

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »

thanks for the reply  O0

MikeA

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:23:58 pm »

how is the build coming along?? keep us posted  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 20 queries.