Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpeter Kilo 1/144  (Read 27878 times)

coolbumble

Trumpeter Kilo 1/144
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:25:41 am »

I took an interest in U33s recent post and his kilo and threatened to buy the kit which has arrived.  Never posted a build on here and not sure of the interest in such a small sub. I certainly am not the best modeller and now at 77 the eyes and hands are not that steady (pass the vodka !!) I have built a revell V11C and a Gato using Dave Welch system but this time I will try "going it alone" within reason.
After looking around both here,China, Hong Kong and the USA it would seem the price of parts even for small projects gets more expensive. For example one small partial kit costing £50 they required £30 postage All the more reason for self build !!
Have not yet decided on what dive system I wiil use but have started to put some of the kit together although very little glued together as yet for obvious reasons . I intend to use both rear and forward dive planes. I am posting a few pics forgive the imperial ruler (senior moment) and the picture quality.Note the rudder shaft has now been slighty lowered to allow for the propshaft !!
Will post more as the sub develops

Ian :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Trumpeter Kilo 1/144
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 01:23:22 am »

Hi Ian,

Looking good so far!

What functions will you be fitting?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

salmon

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:42 am »

Ian,
I am interested! look forward to your continued build!
Peace,
Tom

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:35:25 am »

Good man Ian...looking good already.

You probably find that having the foreplanes operational won't do much to the diving capabilities of the Kilo, mine are fixed in a neutral position, best bet is to leave them off altogether.

Good luck with it Ian...I'm with you all the way!

Rich

coolbumble

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:10:44 am »

Thanks for the comments I am anticipating fitting a 6 channel receiver with four servos as I wish to have the front planes moving  (thats just me a bit more of a challenge even if not needed) the dive system will be an air pump inflating a balloon within a compartment in the middle of the WTC to exclude the water to float !!! and when deflated allow it to submerge. It would seem a MFA 360 motor is ideal and a Mintroniks speed controller. Power will be via two small 3.6 volt phone batteries joined in series to give 7.2 volt with a 1400 mAh capacity will decide if they go in the WTC or out depending on the room. I must say there seem quite a few options on batteries now if one takes the time to wander through Ebay but I think what I have is the lightest .Obviously the air will need to be collected from within the  WTC so a connecting tube will be fitted through the water compartment to connect them and also carry any wiring. The air release valve made from a cycle valve. This I know is all pretty standard stuff so no new ground here for you "subtronic  fanatics".
Searching for a suitable multi blade 20 mm propeller but not found one as yet so considering using one of the plastic ones in the kit !!!The WTC will be either three or four compartments I havent decided yet but have just sent my order for the end caps to MMB they seem very reasonable.

Ian  :-))

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 07:09:22 am »

Hi Ian have a look at this it may help
Andy

http://roguesubworks.com/downloads/diy-rcab.pdf
Right which one will I do next?;)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:01:24 am »

coolbumble

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:35:07 am »

Andy and Rich thanks for your help and also found mikessubworks.com very reasonable for small seals etc.

coolbumble

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »

Continuation guess I pushed the wrong button !!

Just to say with other builds using plastic kits I have used my dremel to to expose the "vents"by removing the material from the back .
Was warned the material was thin on this kit which it is so for safety did it the hard by drill and file. Thank goodness only 30 of them.

batfish

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 12:37:22 pm »

Hi Ian,

Re batteries try here. http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/batteries-chargers/rechargeable-cr-123-li-ion-batteries.html
ps Avoid the trustfires they dont give the stated mah. And the Aw imr do not have protected circuit built in. Only the aw above

kindest regards
adam

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 12:48:18 pm »

Batteries...I use a 7.2v 2600a/h AA sized pack from The Component Shop.

Rich

bijou

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 06:11:50 pm »

HI,
I as can see,PASSION never dye!!!.
Congratulation and cheep doing it.  :-))  ok2
I am interested in what are You doing so cheep as on post pleas.
REGARDS,Marius.

coolbumble

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 10:42:59 pm »

Will do Marius  :-))

coolbumble

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 01:13:16 am »

Thanks guys for the battery info .

Basic stuff I know but a bit further now and the commitment made with the hull now glued together !!!
The photo angle doesn't tell the truth The prop shaft will pass under the elevator cross shaft and passes the rudder arm

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 02:47:23 am »

Coolbumble,

Roughly what is the length of the sub.

Thank you.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 09:29:25 am »

OAL : 511.5 mm
Beam : 96mm
Height : 147mm

Rich

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »

Right which one will I do next?;)

coolbumble

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 06:15:28 pm »

The next step was to align the two halves of the hull section and as has been said and repeated the fit is not good and mine no exception.
So I could get some "accurate " measurements and this is worth noting to any new builds of this kit I decided to tape the two halves together tightly and leave them that way for 24 hrs.  This worked a treat and I was able to measure and make the the strengthening inserts with out to much of a problem. Fortunately I had some spare  60 mm o/d acrylic tube which I cut and with a little addition on the topsides of the base inserts it all went well and I have a good fit The third picture showing this and hopefully will be unnoticeable when the two halves are tightened down to each other.

Just a note the beam measurement Rich kindly gave for the model does include the dive planes.

And thanks Andy for more info re props.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 06:54:15 pm »

Looking good Ian...just hope you've left enough internal space for the wtc?

andyn

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 07:02:08 pm »

Personally, looking at mine I though that just using the real control surfaces instead of the whole plane would have no effect.. Will be interesting to find out how things go.

Andy :-)

coolbumble

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 11:26:58 pm »

Hi
Still no Hi Tec here have now fitted the rear planes and rudder and drilled the flood holes. Not having the luxury of a small lathe with a mill they had to be done with an electric drill held with a shaky 77yr old hand !!!

The flood hole measurements were taken from a drawing obtained from google which was half model size.!

Quite possibly I will require a few larger holes when it gets in the water but I will leave as is at the moment.

redboat219

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 07:57:41 am »

Where did you get that last photo? Looks pretty neat.
The one I used is just line drawings showing the profile and internals.   I enlarged it to model size (209%) and marked out the location of the flood holes.
http://postimage.org/image/4j38vavxg/
http://postimage.org/image/3fmk2o4k/

You're using the stock kits parts right. Just want to know  how  you attach the stern planes especially the moving section.

coolbumble

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 02:32:51 pm »

Hi
The picture I obtained from Google "kilo class submarine" and wikipedia had a page on it including the picture which I downloaded.
 I enlarged the picture as you did to help with the measurements.

Yes it is the stock kit (cant afford luxuries !!) and as well retired have plenty of time to "fiddle" As you are aware the each plane comes in two halves and although shown in the earlier part of the thread joined with the drill hole they were only taped together to do this.
I glued the one half of each vane and the rudder onto the shafts using  cyno thick so it didn't run every where and when dry attached the other half keeping them clamped each time with crocodile clips until dry. Obviously before any gluing ensuring the cranks arms attached to the shafts were in the neutral position.

coolbumble

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 04:22:02 pm »

Erratum
For the first gluing and positioning the vane and rudder halves were held in place with insulation tape ensuring they were in line and the crank arms were neutral , then just a dab of thick cyno . When this was dry a check to make sure everyting is "working" and a final gluing. before adding and gluing in place the other halves.

Ian :-)) 

coolbumble

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 02:06:53 pm »

I can now move on as the WTC seals arrived from MMB with a few other pieces.
Now I can start assembling the WTC which should make 13" length overall and hopefully accept all the gear !!

I must say how good MMB are, reasonably priced with excellent communication and in the UK !!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.