Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: bridge window glass.  (Read 14172 times)

GJP

Re: bridge window glass.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 09:06:04 pm »

Just to thro in my two pennerth, Revell do a glue that is specially deisgned for clear plastic, such as canopies etc. you could try that as it wont fog the perspex

http://www.affinitymodels.co.uk/p75975/REVELL-CONTACTA-CLEAR/c0-6476-6477

regards

Patrick Henry

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 01:45:24 am »

I have an idea that you can cut thin glass with a pair of sharp scissors if you do in a container of water...I'm pretty sure I've seen it done in a youtube  video.

Rich

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 08:31:12 am »

Thanks Rich, if you find any more information let me know. I am a bit behind on my build but I have not given up on using thin glass. If I am succesfull I will post the details on here. Mick B.
Mick B.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 12:34:05 pm »

michael 1979

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 03:18:31 pm »

When in high school I cut the microscope slides with a carbide scribe and a brass straight edge. Lay the glass down on a firm flat surface. Place the straight edge on top where needed. Scribe the glass once firmly with the scribe. Then pick up the glass and apply bending pressure at the scribe line. So as to stretch the scribed surface, moving the edges of the scribed surface away from each other. This glass is very thin and requires very little pressure to separate. Easy, once you try it a few times. Always wear safety glasses. Tiny tittle pieces of glass can fly off at the edge.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:00 am »

Apis, thank you very much, it makes a lot of sense. I have hundreds of slides to practice with. I was wondering what tittle bits of glass was though, LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 07:16:28 am »

Hi  Rich, That was quite amazing to watch, you would need to grind the edges smooth after, a friend has a machine for doing that, she does glass work in a kiln. I will post any results that I get good or bad. Mick B.
Mick B.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 11:23:32 am »

You can smooth the edges quite easily by hand, pop down to your local glass merchants and ask nicely for some used arissing cloth (that's not a misspell, the word is 'arissing'), it's very similar to emery paper. Just take great care as you rub the edges down, wear a good pair of safety gloves when you do it.

Rich

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 02:03:46 pm »

I think I'd still prefer them made from a CD case. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »

I think I'd still prefer them made from a CD case. BY.
Agree, good option, same result and less drama/hazards. :-)) :-))

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 01:24:27 am »

Hi Brian, I never knew you could do that. What do you cut them with & what glue do you use. ?. Mick B.
Mick B.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 11:12:19 am »

Suppose also, that the blank (untreated for recording use) CD/DVD that are used for packing bulk discs, could also be used for windows.
Yes/No

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 05:46:51 pm »

Hi Ray, I had an idea that glass would look much better than anything else I had seen to date. That was what prompted the question in the first place. I have a lot of glass slides that I think I can use the glass from. Cutting may be a problem, I have not had time to go to the glass shop to ask for their expertise on how to cut the slide glass. I know there are easier ways of making the windows but I kinda set my mind on using glass. I found a company in Germany that can supply & cut the glass the size I want but the cost is out of sight. From the prices quoted it would be in the thousands of dollars. I appreciate all the help & suggestions on here but I have not given up on the idea of having glass windows. Sometimes we push the envelope & discover new ways & things by so doing, who knows what I might discover. If I do the forum members will be the first to know. Mick B.
Mick B.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 06:08:12 pm »

Glass DOES look better, you don't see it very often so people don't realise it, but put a model with glass windows next to one with almost any sort of plastic and you will really notice the difference.

Also, over time, many plastics are affected by UV light and fog to a greater or lesser extent. That is not to say don't use plastic, it is fine for general use, but glass does give that little extra - and it shows.

Colin

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 11:50:10 pm »

Thanks Colin, I needed the moral support. I just think it will look good too. Mick B.
Mick B.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:59 pm »

If you look at Martin Howe's and Baylis boats they use glass and you can tell as they have No scratches and they don't start to go opaque with age , glass for me every time.

Peter

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 07:31:29 pm »

Thanks Peter, I am with you all the way. Now we have to find a good reliable & inexpensive source for supplying & if possible cutting the glass for us. Mick B.
Mick B.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 09:22:30 pm »

One thing that's always worth a try is to visit your glass merchants and ask one of the cutters nicely (maybe with a bottle of something as an incentive) to show you the basic skills of glass cutting....once you have those then you can practice on thinner and thinner glass until you are quite happy cutting paper thin glass.

Rich

sunworksco

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 10:51:35 pm »

I bought a Proxxon band saw with the diamond wire band for cutting CF and stained glass window panels.
I'm hoping it can cut the small windows.

http://www.dugnorth.com/blog/uploaded_images/proxxon-band-saw.jpg

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 06:48:58 am »

Hi Sunworksco, make sure you have very good eye & face protection wear protective gloves too, the best you can get. As you know you only have two eyes & there are no replacements the last time I checked, Mick B.
Mick B.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 07:32:58 am »

Hi Sunworksco, make sure you have very good eye & face protection wear protective gloves too, the best you can get. As you know you only have two eyes & there are no replacements the last time I checked, Mick B.

do you have to wear a fluorescent vest {-) {-)

Peter

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:10 pm »

Yes Peter that is so they can find the body after you have wrote yourself off LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

OapPETE

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »

Hi.
    I think it is a no go for glass that thin I have been in the window trade for 45 years and never seen glass thiner than 2 /3 mm and that was from windows around war time when it had wavey lines in it could you not go for perspex?

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 01:37:36 am »

Hi Pete, the slide glass that I have is only.027 inch thick. The glass that they use in cell phones & other electronic devices of that nature also use very thin glass. There is a German company that makes glass thinner than that .03mm. The problem with their glass is cost, a square of their glass measuring 300mm is in the region of 460.00 euros. Needless to say they will also cut it for you, you just don't want to know the cost. ( they cut it with water jets, on a special machine just for glass ) I have enough slide glass to do many boats, the problem is cutting it to size. Because it is so thin it breaks very easily. This is what I have to find a solution to now. I am still working on it but I have been ill over the last month & have had to put things on hold for now. Thank you so much for your input & interest, Mick B. PS= I want to use glass because I think it looks the best & does not fog up in time like all the plastics do.
Mick B.

Chuffy

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 02:14:56 am »

I don't know if this will be of any use to you but around 50 years ago i used to work for a company that produced Golay coils, something to do with early lasers. The lab technicians used to cut very thin glass ,around 1/64 thick, in two ways.

1. Bed the glass on something like the blue tac of the day so it was supported, and then score with a diamond, while still held on the blue tack press the two ends of the glass and snap.

2. As above but score the glass with a mini grinder, and snap or they may have cut right through. in either case she wore eye protection, water was used as a lubricant .

I only remember this because the girl lab technician was a right little goer, and before anyone complains, in those days it meant you could hold hands after going out with a girl for what seemed like a month of Sundays.

Paul.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.