Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stingray-Big and Awkward version.  (Read 6211 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Stingray-Big and Awkward version.
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:39 am »

As an aside to 'Small and Fiddly' on another post, I thought I would post the paint job in progress on my mate Ahmeds Stingray, wot I painted in the run up to Christmas 2006.
This was converted from a 3' static model previously available via Comet Miniatures in Lavender Hill, London. The prop was hidden in the Ratemaster ( tap handle! ) on the back of the model and the rudder and hydroplane hidden within it. The legs ( extended ) under the model, serve two purposes, something to place the model on, and keel weights, as the model was unstable without them. Hope you enjoy it..
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stingray-Big and Awkward version.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:31:05 am »

The model reached me with a coat of High Build Filler Primer ( mustard yellow ), Glazing fitted, legs in the extended position and the ratemaster fitted with the clear acrylic dive planes and rudder fitted. Also supplied a Product Enterprise diecast Stingray model for reference.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:40:36 am »

Dont Ask!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Grey Primer first, Masking of the Ratemaster and all the glazing next, followed by a Gloss Midnight Blue blatted fairly indescriminately over the areas needing that colour.

Then the masking started, This would take up to an hour and a half at times followed by 5 minutes of spraying, over and over again, great fun...

This mask is in preparation for the overall Silver finish needed next.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:50:00 am »

The Silver finish was next, this needed to be applied top and bottom, so there was a delay while I had to wait for the paint to dry each time.

Between colours I allowed 24 hours drying time before moving on to the next stage. Not enough time, but I was on the clock, Christmas was coming....

Gloss Yellow next, this was a thin stripe that followed the upper contours of the model. this made it fairly easy to apply. I usually apply the tape to one end of the model and, while staring DOWN the length of the tape, manouver it and stick it to the curve.

And, finally, the first masked edge removed, not a total screw up........

g4yvm

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »

That looks nice!

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 12:22:57 pm »

That looks really cool, I love the tap idea  :-)) I'm wondering if this kit is still available, allways liked stingray. Looking forward to seeing her finished. Cheers Dan.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:31:15 pm »

Masking tape off, revealing the yellow, AND it didn't take off any of the Silver.

More masking, including the recently painted Yellow. Time to apply Chav Blue ( sorry, Mid Blue! ), this covers a large amount of the model, there was still masking tape on the glazing and Ratemaster, which had been on for the best part of a week, plus, I now had masking on my nice new freshly applied Yellow.

The subject of the stand then came up. The access to the model is from underneath, so the stand had to accommodate the model inverted as well as up the correct way. I suggested that it could also protect the sticky out resin fins, which liked to fall off every time they hit a door frame. Which would result in an awkward touch up of the paint scheme.
So, taking all this on board, the weirdest boat stand ever was built, it works too..

andyn

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:32 pm »

Can't wait to get mine now ;)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 02:12:51 pm »

The stage arrived where all the masking, newspaper etc could be removed. At this stage I placed the twin silver trims around the Bridge. The positions of these vary from original model to original model, as does the 'Stingray' lettering. So if building a Stingray, find a photo of the original that you like and stick with it. If anyone tells you this or that is in the wrong position,ask them which version they are refering to? I found three slightly different models, including the 'Launch Tube' version which, I believe was smaller than the 'Hero' version. Anyway...

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 02:20:49 pm »

Lettering application, midnight Blue around the minisubs and silver 'cheat' line around the rear 'bat fins' and jobs a goodun...

Upside down on the stand, note how close the perescope comes to missing the stand!

My japanese publication 'ITC Mecha Graffiti', excellent reference, book starts at the back and works forward, very odd.. The model on the stand showing how the outline of the model is duplicated in the plywood stand, helps to focus the mind when transporting the model!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 02:36:22 pm »

The finished paint scheme was first sealed with Halfords Clear Laquer, this orange peeled, fortunately on the bottom, which was soon rectified. This was replaced with Tamiya Gloss Acrylic Varnish. Fine, went on easy, dried quickly, then bloomed with white patches as soon as it got wet :-))
Plan 'C'. The one I was avoiding... Humbrol No35 Enamel Gloss Varnish, through a cheap airbrush, slow drying time, sticky, dust attracting muck! Perfect, bomb proof finish. The extended drying time gave a nice smooth finish.

The model was finished, so off to the pool for the test run ( as seen on You Tube! ), what you do not see is the bit where , throttle on full, Troy Tempest, his seat and at least one console is sucked through the model and straight through the the Ratemaster {-)
Anyway, over to you Andy, and good luck, looks like a fast model with that Brushless in it!!

Anyone up for a butchered Engel Typhoon/Red October thread?

hollowhornbear

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »

excellent job, my all time dream. the mini subs are called aqua sprites. one question why did you not start with the lighter colours and finish with the navy blue?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 03:16:02 pm »

excellent job, my all time dream. the mini subs are called aqua sprites. one question why did you not start with the lighter colours and finish with the navy blue?

That is a really good question, and I have been wondering the same thing myself as I have posted the images. Why not Silver first? Well, I think it was to do with the Midnight Blue torpedo launchers. It was easier to mask a sharp edge up and out of the launchers once the blue was applied, than it would have been to apply Silver first, then try to trim a  masking tape hole to match the edge of the torpedo launcher. Seems to make sense to me five years later....

andyn

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 04:31:20 pm »

I reckon it's absolutely beautiful...

In the video, is that full power? Cos that's not fast enough for me... Stingray was capable of 600 knots, so Mine is at least gonna be powered by a 900 on 12v, if not 24...

Andy :-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 05:21:09 pm »

That was full speed, mind you it was handicapped by the drive setup. The motor was a 2.5:1 reduction MFA 500 motor ( the fast one ) driving a 14ish bladed OTW prop, at 9.6 volts, through the ratemaster, with no intake holes at the front of the model. it relied on the water displaced out the back being replaced via all the little gaps around the hatch, windows etc. I think this explains why Troy Tempest was minced through the back of the model on its first outing!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 05:22:27 pm »

Looking at the size of your smaller Stingray and the size of the brushless motor, I think you could make 600 knots :D

andyn

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 09:19:43 pm »

Hopefully, should be fun ;)

bijou

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 05:17:16 pm »

WAAUU what can I say?.It's absolutely astonishing.It's really a beauty.
Congratulations.
Regards MARIUS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.