Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hotspur?  (Read 4640 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
HMS Hotspur?
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:58:16 pm »

Young Gina read in a Horrible Histories book today that HMS Hotspur was founded by Hotspur
football club to the tune of £700,000 ... is that true? I can't find anything on it on Timterweb, anyone know the story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hotspur_%28H01%29
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Hotspur?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 04:09:43 pm »

according to wikipedia she only cost a little over £235,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hotspur_(H01)

Looks like there's been a few ships called Hotspur over the years and this one was built in 1936 and survived the war
Davie Tait,
Scotland

mikearace

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:13:26 pm »

Not sure if that is true, but maybe it is.  Many organisations and villages held fundraising events in WWII to sponsor and fund the building of warships but usually it was just that - to fund the building of a warship.  I have an event programme in my loft for a dance at 6th Pit Village at Fence Houses near Houghton-le-Spring for fund raising for a Hunt Class Destroyer build that Lady Lambton organised.  However as Hotspur was built in 1936 Im not sure this type of war ship sponsorship was in place then.  I always thought it was a wartime thing.  Maybe though the sponsorship was for a refit but as the original build was £263k the £700k quoted seems a lot of money for a refit.  The figures just dont seem to add up.  

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:24:41 pm »

Following a successful WARSHIP WEEK National Savings campaign in March 1942 this ship was adopted by the civil community of Tottenham in Greater London.

As a matter of note, the ladies in Tottenham  knitted woollies for the crew of their adopted ship, HMS Hotspur.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:52:57 pm »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornblower-and-the-Hotspur/107534442603129

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/sutra331951.php

Interesting stuff chaps, I don't recall building or seeing an Airfix HMS Hotspur back in the 60's...or did I...can't remember now... %%
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

mikearace

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »

Yes there was one in the 60s.  Released 1964 and I remember 'building it' around about that time.  Didnt last long in the bath - they never did.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »

The 1/600 Airfix kits...I also remember 'building'!!!... Devonshire, Victorious, Daring, Hood, Bismark, Ajax, some of them more than once but there were lots of others which escape me now, the destroyers were small at 1/600, my eyesight is not what it was and I recently revisited the Hood just for fun...I had trouble fitting some of the bits!!!

I've looked for a companion for Hood and thought about a destroyer or cruiser, I think Ark Royal might be a better bet, or will it?  :D

1/96 and 1/72 more my size now I think...

Cheers

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 09:48:20 am »

To think I built lots of these ships when I was young and then mid teens blew them up with bangers and mini rockets on the canal  <:( <:(

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:37:33 pm »

My favourite way of destoying the ships was to put a match to the mast's etc...in the shed, wow plastic does burn well..! really bad idea to stay in there...cough splutter  %%

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 06:30:18 pm »

Float 'em on the local pond, and shoot 'em up with air rifles. Used to attach a ping-pong ball on a long string so we could retrieve them for patching and another go. Remember a Southern Cross (I think) going that way - worth a fortune now!
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:47:57 pm »

Float 'em on the local pond, and shoot 'em up with air rifles. Used to attach a ping-pong ball on a long string so we could retrieve them for patching and another go. Remember a Southern Cross (I think) going that way - worth a fortune now!
[/q]

Still got mine though including the Southern Cross.

LB, slowly making his way home via Peterhead, Aberdeen, Annan and Lancaster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.