Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R/C Yacht clubs in West Sussex?  (Read 5569 times)

Kangaroo1

R/C Yacht clubs in West Sussex?
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »

I'm a relative newbie to this R/C Yacht world and I'm looking for any model yacht clubs local to me? I live in Littlehampton, so if anyone knows of any clubs, or even just fellow enthusiasts nearby, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: R/C Yacht clubs in West Sussex?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:34:03 pm »

Try the MYA web site - they have an affiliated club search engine.

http://myauk.wordpress.com/club-locator/

Barrie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »

I'm a relative newbie to this R/C Yacht world and I'm looking for any model yacht clubs local to me? I live in Littlehampton, so if anyone knows of any clubs, or even just fellow enthusiasts nearby, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.
There must surely be a club near you. They showed your boating lake on the southern news the other night where they had a boat show.

You also have a lady councillor who wants to encourage boat users to use the lake.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:54:21 pm »

Southwater Dabblers do a lot of yachting: http://dabblers.wikispaces.com/ They are based a few miles south of Horsham so not too far away.

Colin

Kangaroo1

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »

Thanks guys!!

I found 2 clubs listed on the MYA website, not too far away (Southwater & Hove). In fact the Southwater club are taking part in a wetland trust weekend @ Arundel this weekend, so I might just go over there & have a chat.

I also found a club, not on the site, but in Chichester, which is a bit closer...

DickyD, I actually went along to the boat show on the lake in Littlehampton the other weekend.. and saw a great 7 foot model of HMS Illustrious there! Sadly the weather put a bit of a dampener on it, and about 95% of it was powerboats, but it was interesting nonetheless. I did speak to one of the chaps there about using that particular pond... but apparently there are some politics involved, because it is normally used for pedalo's, so there's an argument over the usage, or something.   

Thanks again guys!

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:23:22 pm »

Hi Steve, there is a new club on Hayling Island, it is based on the lake at Warners Lakeside, not sure of when they sail, I believe Sunday. Contact is Nigel Hudson, unfortunately no futher details at present but if I find more I will contact you with PM
Alan

dondecap

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:52:11 pm »

hi mate.
there's one above haselmere...........Frensham Pond Sailing Club, Pond Lane, off A287, Frensham, Hants 
thats in the club.
wheres the one in chi? the old harbour/canal by the market area?
regads
don

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »

I am led to understand that Frensham pond is having trouble with weed.

dondecap

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:54:48 pm »

hi mate.
ah......thats not good then..................... you not got a 'dredger'?
hahaha

regards
don

Kangaroo1

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:27 pm »

Hi Don,

The club @ Chichester has disbanded! I found out today that it closed down in 2008! A shame that they haven't put something on the website...

As DickyD pointed out, we do have a local pond in Littlehampton, the Oyster pond, that they want to encourage model boating on again, but I can't seem to get to the bottom of how to gain actual access to it, because it's used for pedalo's... I was told that a local club uses it on Friday mornings, but that's not a lot of good to me because I work full time. I was also told that modellers are "entitled" to use it after 5.30p.m. on Fridays..... So maybe I just need to start using it in the evenings and see if it generates some interest...

Aside from that, the 2 nearest to me are Southwater or Hove (both are about 18 miles away)... can anyone recommend either?

Thanks guys!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »

I visit Littlehamptom frequently but I would have thought that the Oyster pond is too sheltered for model yachts, not to mention the bunch of pedalos tied up in the centre for security.

Southwater are keen on yachts, probably best to contact them.

Colin

dondecap

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »

hi guys.
there is always the ARUN :) :)
ok for white water rafting :)

regards
don

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »

I was at Littlehampton today, the pedaloes have all been removed for the winter so the pond is now clear. Quite nice for a bit of free sailing by powered boats but still looks rather sheltered for yachts.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:14:44 pm »

Hi Steve, there is a new club on Hayling Island, it is based on the lake at Warners Lakeside, not sure of when they sail, I believe Sunday. Contact is Nigel Hudson, unfortunately no futher details at present but if I find more I will contact you with PM
Alan
HAYLING ISLAND MODEL BOAT  CLUB

EMAIL ADDRESS:            info@himbc.co.uk                             

TELEPHONE:                02392 464665                                     

SAILING WATER:        Warners Lakeside Holiday Village,
                                     off Fishery Lane, Hayling Island.   

POSTCODE:                   PO11 9NR
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Kangaroo1

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »

Thanks Colin & Richard... I was going down the Oyster pond this weekend to see whether it was usable, because where I usually sail (Brooklands in Lancing) has been drained the past 2 weeks so I haven't been able to get on the water.... now I know the pond should be okay!

I have seen yachts sailing on it, albeit only once, and it was quite breezy! And apparently a few guys use it on Friday mornings including yachts (but I haven't actually seen this myself) so, I'll try it out myself and let you know.

Richard, thanks for the contact details. I'm not sure whether Hayling Island is a bit far from here, but I'll certainly bear it in mond. In the meantime I've been in touch with Mac @ the model warship club that sail over in Shoreham, so I'm considering giving them a try out.

Thanks again for your help guys!

Steve.

Kangaroo1

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »

I sailed on the Oyster pond this lunchtime and it was okay... there was a breeze sufficient to sail around most of it without any problems. And the bright sunny conditions certainly made it quite enjoyable!

I'm hoping to get down there again tomorrow to make the most of the weather before it turns!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »

That's good to hear. Might take some of my boats down there during the winter months as it is less than an hour's drive and the Look and Sea Centre does very good lunchtime food.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.