Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another who am I or what am I  (Read 2231 times)

airwolf572010

Another who am I or what am I
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:17 am »

Hello I purchased this Yacht from a deceased estate and would be interested if any on you in the UK or elsewhere could tell me what she is.
She has never been fitted for Radio control so I guess she is what you call over there a Pond Yacht.
She is quite long at 1300mm possibly in your measurements 3 foot 6 inches or close on 4 feet.
Everything shown in the Photographs are apparantly original including rigging and sails for which I am very lucky I think as they are not in to bad a condition.
If anyone could help would be great.
Sorry dont know year she was built or any info at all.

I know she ishas been hand built and is very heavy to lift so I don't know how much ballast is inside her but she is heavy.
that's about all I k now, let's hope some one can shed some light on her for me please and thanks

Armo {:-{

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Another who am I or what am I
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:03:17 am »

I don't know what she is and she may even be a freelance model.

But if she is heavy she is possibly properly ballasted and will sail very nicely.

She certainly looks like a good un.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:27:41 am »

Definitely some thought went into her - paneled sails, groovy mast.  Probably sailed fairly quickly, too, looking at the damage to the bow - a free sailer always sails fastest and straightest when you have the greatest distance to go to get there first.
Looking at the fittings (forgetting the servo), it looks like it was intended to set the sails for running across the wind, or close hauled for tacking upwind along the pond.  Since the tiller arm had a ratchet to sit on, and there do not seem to be any extra fittings for self steering, I guess the rudder was fixed when sailing, and adjusted for best effect.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

airwolf572010

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:36:36 am »

Thanks for the info guys sorry the servo was just sitting in there when the picture was taken. No has never had Radio control. I was working on another boat and had just left it lying in the cabin area for storage. Good eyes though haha
 :-))

airwolf572010

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 04:49:49 am »

Yes looking at one of the forums earlier I might decide to give it a transfer to radio control, at first just using whats there and adding a servo and rx/tx 2 channel and only use the one channel for the  rudder which will set up neatly in the rear of the cabin area, to see how she performs. a Sail winch etc can always come later if needed.

Armo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.