Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner 900 BB Torque motors - alternatives?  (Read 10379 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Graupner 900 BB Torque motors - alternatives?
« on: September 17, 2011, 05:30:24 pm »

I am about to start work on a 1/12th Scale Mersey CLass Lifeboat and have been recommened to use graupner 900's as the "preferred" motor, but as no doubts you all know, these are like the proverbial "rocking horse S**t" to obtain , with NO shop, not even a model shop in germany with an "expected delivery date".

I have been suggested to use MFA 800/850s but these, looking at the performance figures, as down on magnets/compared with the graupner units, plus they draw almost twice the amperage when running, thus giving you a shorter run time.

can anyone suggest another option, with similar spec to the graupner unit please.  Ive asked the same question in the Lifeboat section, but its fallen on deaf ears and no one wishes to divulge any info.

Er, no prefer not to go brushless, id sooner fit a pair of motors thats going to last the life of the boat, not have to swap them a few months on due to burnout problems, plus its always nice to have some decent slow speed control, somthing thats lacking on brushless units.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graupner 900 BB Torque motors - alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:03:07 pm »

Can i suggest you buy a pair of Actions 900 motors.They work well for me.John.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:40 am »

Thanks for your suggestion, but what current do these 900's draw?
ive checked the website concerned, but apart from physical motor dimensions, there is little else online about them.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

nick_75au

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:31:06 am »

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31962.msg315813#msg315813

Fair enough that you don't want to use brush-less but you are mislead if you think slow speed cant be achieved and burnout will happen within months, Just saying ok2

Cheers
Nick

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:09:25 am »

The best answer to your amps question would be Dave himself at Action. Current draw can vary so depending on the load.Im sure he will help you.Possibly you might want his p94 esc and mixer combined.Works well in my Boat. John. 

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:20:43 am »

Our 900 motors are identical in performance spec to the Graupner 900 Torque motors.
DM

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 07:17:47 pm »

what are the performance specs if you dont mind me asking, as none are stated on your website, only the motor dimensions.
its something I need to check out before making any financial decisions so to speak.

As like said above, 2 x motors + esc + sound  could be a fair order !

if not wanting to post "live" on here, you can alwasy "pm" the details, no problem.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

ACTion

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 12:14:06 am »

I already know what the  graupners are capable of, but whats the specs for yours please?
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:22 am »

Identical I think he stated in reply 5 so I would assume that's the spec. Just interested, regards, Tony.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 06:31:23 am »

I am about to start work on a 1/12th Scale Mersey CLass Lifeboat and have been recommened to use graupner 900's as the "preferred" motor, but as no doubts you all know, these are like the proverbial "rocking horse S**t" to obtain , with NO shop, not even a model shop in germany with an "expected delivery date".

I have been suggested to use MFA 800/850s but these, looking at the performance figures, as down on magnets/compared with the graupner units, plus they draw almost twice the amperage when running, thus giving you a shorter run time.

can anyone suggest another option, with similar spec to the graupner unit please.  Ive asked the same question in the Lifeboat section, but its fallen on deaf ears and no one wishes to divulge any info.

Er, no prefer not to go brushless, id sooner fit a pair of motors thats going to last the life of the boat, not have to swap them a few months on due to burnout problems, plus its always nice to have some decent slow speed control, somthing thats lacking on brushless units.

ER what burn out problems ?????  brushless will last longer as guess what , they have no brushess to wear out

Peter

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 07:43:49 am »

I have been running brushless for about 4 months now, I have excellent slow speed control, no burnout issues - perhaps they would burn out if they weren't cooled correctly?
Mine barely run warm now, i have water cooled esc's and an old PC fan infront of the motors and i have no issues so far.....

ACTion

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 08:25:47 am »

I have replied to this question on another Forum. My best info suggests that a 1/12 scale Mersey would be around 38" long, which is too small to warrant a pair of 900 motors. As has been pointed out, "identical" means what it says.
DM

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »

All advice and comments appreciated and following a conversation with Action Electronics, an order for some suitable motors will be placed from them.

Along with sound system.

Unfortunately, due to me owning a "futaba" 2.4 ghz radio, I am unable to use their P94 dual esc/mixer unit, ah well, can't win em all !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »

Im not sure why you are not able to use Actions p94 units with a Futuba 2.4 set. I do and have no problems.Possibly Dave can confirm that his units are fine with 2.4. What problems are supposed to exist? John.

ACTion

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »

As it says on our website, there are currently conflicts between P94 and only ONE Futaba set - the 6J. There are no problems with any other radio in their range. Tim Fawcett and I are working on a dedicated 6J version but time, as ever, is never on our side. To confirm, owners of any other Futaba 2.4GHz radio should have no problems using a P94 - indeed, our own P94 test set is a 6EXA.
Dave M

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »

Just to add to what Dave says - the P94 has been tested with a 2.4GHz 6EXP - in fact this was one of the development sets used to design the code. It also works with Spektrum, Hitec and a whole variety of no-name whatnots

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.