Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Club 500 speed controller  (Read 2342 times)

Merseymart

Club 500 speed controller
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:24:04 pm »

Hiya folks.

Wondering what type to get for my club500 build.
Reading around, it ends up a minefield of pro's and cons.
Mtroniks wise, the viper 25 can be chuggy at full power? But then I'm thinking, do I really need a 25a ESC for a 7.2v 550 motor?
I would imagine with my limited knowledge, that 15a would be sufficient? I'm going to have a blade fuse inline to save the ESC
in the event of the motor stalling anyway, so not sure where to go with this one really. 15a, 20a, 25a?

I know the world doesn't stop at Mtroniks but would like to hear others opinions about what they run and pro's and cons.
In the viper range, reading a few posts, it seems there's a variation in how they perform. Maybe not as proportional?

Taa.

Spook

Re: Club 500 speed controller
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:42:17 pm »

Are you sure it's the ESC that's chuggy? I have only ever used Viper ESCs (15, 20 & 25) and had serious engine stutter when running at high revs on 40Mhz r/c, but having switched to 2.4Ghz I have no stutter at all - as smooth as the baby's proverbial. :-)

Merseymart

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »

Cheers Spook  :-)

I've not got one yet, just a bit of reading around before I get some goodies together.
Not sure what rating to get to be honest. Have a few amps in the bag, or save a few quid.
I'd probably go for the biggest I could afford at the time. Then if it gets used elsewhere, I've got a bit of headroom if need be.
Last time I used Mtroniks ESC's was in cars donkeys years ago and couldn't fault them! Took some punishment and kept on ticking.

dondecap

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:02:57 am »

hi mate.
you need about 20% higher amp draw capacity than the motor will use .thet will give quite a high 'burst rate. for short time above the normal max draw
. or it will run hot.
regards
don

Capt Podge

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:30:10 am »

I use the mtroniks ESC's in my club 500 coz they're pretty much waterproof - I used the 15 amp originally but it couldn't cope and stalled at about half speed. >>:-(

Changed it for the 20 amp version and have had no problem at all. Incidentally, my set up is a bog standard Futaba attack-2 Tx on 27 MHz.

Have fun !

Regards,

Ray.

Merseymart

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 01:09:34 pm »

Thanks for your input folks, all taken on board! Much appreciated   :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.