Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JJC unit wiring  (Read 2608 times)

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
JJC unit wiring
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »

I got JJC units some years ago and am only just getting round to installing them in my tug (Marie Felling). I’m a klutz at electrical stuff and hope someone can reassure me or set me straight in case I have it wrong at the moment. Do I have it right as in the rough attachment? Or if not, how should it be done properly?

The good news of course is that everything seems to work, so I escaped the misfortunes that some folks experienced before JJC capsized.

Thanks.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JJC unit wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:52 pm »

Something not quite right with your sketch.

The R/X only sends out control signals on several channels. You are going to need a switcher unit to control the power to extras like a smoke machine and sound board.  Have a browse on Action's site as he puts up drawings on various ways to connect devices and this may guide you.

The notable thing is that the ESC only goes to a motor to control the speed and does not continue to any other devices.

regards

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:41:51 pm »

JJC has in a tendancy to run hot,especially in a closed enviroment.With my units i have fitted much bigger heat sinks.These i brought from Maplins. Try putting a finger on a standard heat sink after running for a while.You will see what i mean.John. 

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »

Thank you Ken. I drew my intention wrongly in any event - the sound slave was intended to be wired to the RX, not the ESC (like this corrected sketch)! So I was trying to implement the JJC function where the smoke and sound master are proportional to the motor speed, but the sound slave is not (and so should be separately attached to the RX?). I'm not sure how to interpret your remark about a switcher unit - isn't that handled by the transmitter through the RX? i.e. as the motor speed increases, so the smoke and sound volume also increase

Thanks for the heat sink tip too John, but I don't think I'll be putting my finger on one! Is it a simple thing to change the heat sink?

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:25 pm »

The correction - AAArgh!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:19:56 pm »

Yes, that's better for proportional control.

The switcher unit idea was to enable shutting 'on and off' the sound or smoke when on the lake to save battery power maybe.

cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »

So I'll wire it up and try it. But you have a point about the switch. I shall cogitate.

Thanks again.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:10 pm »

Sorry should have noticed that your not in England.Yes it should be easy to change the heat sinks.Either undo the mounting screw and change, or drill existing sink and bolt on additional sink to first sink. To my mind these mods are essentional to ensure the long life of the modules .Im not sure what you mean about 2nd slave unit? Usually these plug into the master socket and are switched by a spare channel.There was quite a range of sounds including a Mallard duck sound.This confused the Lady ducks on my pond when fitted to my Tug.This boat has the fogger and steam sound unit.John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.