Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tom Pudding's MkII  (Read 5152 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Tom Pudding's MkII
« on: September 18, 2011, 12:13:05 am »

As some of you know where i live in Goole we have a unique use of the waterways with the transportation of coal from the mines to waiting ships , well we did but now no longer in use . I am talking about Tom Puddings and the coal hoists , or should i say hoist as the last remaining one is on the site of the Goole MBC .
So back to the title , a while back i made a set of towable pan's ( another nick name for them ) and while they looked  reasonable on the water there was no resistance whilst been towed .
But last week ( sat 10th) we GMBC had an night sail which was well attended , and my little springer (bucket and scarper) got a bit of light hearted bullying from the Blane moor guys (they tried to sink me), so i decided to visit them on the sunday but without the springer , (i am not that daft) for a natter .
Whilst i was there i spotted a set of coal carriers , anyway i asked about their construction ( mr Pollit please help as i have forgotton the name of the guy who built them) which was styreen top with timber edging and an alloy sheet hull which when placed in water would sink to the styreen level and the sub merged section would serve as ballast/resistance when been towed , what looked like coal slack was pilled ontop to ad a bit more realisim to the piece(sorry no pic's but the Blane Mooreguys may have some).
This gave me ideas to build some for the Goole pond and would fit in well with the floating hoist i had built some time ago. The only thing holding me back was the aquisition of the alloy sheet (scrap prices are sky high) , but all was not lost as my neighbour had some 5 gallon plastic drums which were of no other use to him .
So one was aquired and i set to work cutting it in half and then making a top from whatever i had handy , been some 1/2" boards  and some thinner stuff for the comings, staples were used for the chain eyes and toothed belting was used for buffers . As with the full sized pan apost and socked were fitted using polly pipe this was to allow the pan's to interlock, styreen was fitted under the timber once drainage slots were cut in the base and finally a coat of matt black with a red edging was applied .
Once dried a visit to the pond side and a wetting (for them not me) they once flooded sat slightly proud and a hand full of scalpings for coal trimmed them to a better level (your either bored or thinking come on where are the pic's by now or both).
So another three more drum's were cut and made into pan's ,what do you think, oh i have to make a jebus yet before towing.
daz

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

nhp651

Re: Tom Pudding's MkII
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:21:07 am »

brilliant idea....well done sir, :-)) :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:57:07 am »

:-)) :-)) :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dondecap

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »

hi guys,
newish to boats........ what is the construction of the 'bollards' on the dock?
it's some thing I have been thinking about, and could only come up with some thing like a 'tent peg'  with the appropriate looking 'top'
also how 'deep' are the 'barges'? to give a decent weight tow....I'm starting a HM Rescue tug shortly.
regards
don

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »

These were also an idea of mine (too much spare time to think too little time to do it all),
they were made from some galvanised plate drilled to accept steel pins , the ones heald in place with an R pin
http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/R-Clip%20Pin.jpg
these were welded in place and the whole unit was fixed in and concreted.
I have also made some removable ones that just hook over the boards on the pond side , they could be modified to have a spike for soft ground.
daz

dondecap

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 03:29:22 pm »

hi mate.
thanks for that......I was some where near the right idea then :)
regards
don

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »

Hi Folks.
Just to had a little to Darrens story, The caravan that you see on the far right photo one, was no longer used so we at Balne moor m.b.c. decided to scrap it. So a member of the club(Geoff Woodcock) said he would do the honours. And low and behold Balne Moors Tom Pudding came to life from the ali of the van. This photo is from the 2007 Towing finals.  The next photos are of the Tom Pudding in action :-)) Just to say the Tom Puddings where pushed not pulled, in the Yorkshire aera that is.

John

dondecap

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:56:07 pm »

hi guys.
....that looks realy good :)

regards
don

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »

Hi Guy's.

Don't think Daz will mind if I put some full size photo's on of the Restored WHELDALE TUG. We visited Gooles open day & ended up on the Wheldale for two hours :-))
The first photo's show the Wheldale Tug,  Tom puddings, & No5 Coal Hoist

John

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:09:57 pm »

We went into the dock area then came back up the river. You see the coal hoist from the other side. What a canteen they have. :}

John

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 09:15:38 pm »

We also had chance to take a look down staires in the engine room.

John

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »

Hi Folks.

Just before I go Any one that's not familiar with the Tom Pudding set up, the item in photo mg 0227 on the bow of the tug is the JEBUS that fit's on the front of the PANS (Tom Puddings ) when the tug is pushing. on behalf of Darren & Goole m.b.c. Thanks for looking.

John           Balne Moor m.b.c.

dondecap

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:08 am »

hi mate.
thanks for the info......jebus........... I tried looking it up before I asked here ;)   but all that came up was the religious translation :) :) :)
you just saved me asking ;)
so it's job is to keep the push 'centralized' then? and not risk snapping the chains?
this would be a 'cast' loop? or a steel welded fitment?

regards
don

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 02:03:38 am »

Thanks John , imput is good and your pans look great.
The original design of the puddings was to have the jebus fitted to the lead pan and a pair of chains would be lead down the line back to the tug at the rear , the chains could then be adjusted to allow the train of pan's to bend thus they could go round corners.
This method was abandoned as the need for longer trains that could fit into the extended locks , this method used up to the last run  i believe in 1987 was to tow the train of pan's with the jebus on the lead pan , this was to disperse the prop wash from the tug and as you who have springer's are all to aware of DIVING . The problem with the pan's was when one went down so did the whole train , and this was not an uncommon incident.
There are numerous books available (i think i have bought them all) on the history of tom puddings , the best (in my opinion) been Railway On The Water, which is available from the waterways museum down the road from the goole pond , and on most weekends trips on the Weldale the last remaining pudding tug can be made around the dock's . There is however a dvd called The Last Run showing the tug , pans  and the No5 coal hoist in action, more information here.
http://www.waterwaysmuseum.org.uk/
Right that's enough plugging , next thing is the jebus for my pans and get the tug back in the water.
daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.