Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: what do we do in real life.  (Read 25883 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
what do we do in real life.
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:23:51 am »

To the Moderator, It would be nice sometimes if we knew the occupation of our members, is that possible ??. It is becoming obvious to me that a lot are involved in the sea & ships. For us landlubbers a lot of what they say is above our heads ( mine anyway, & no smart remarks guys about empty spaces ) Just asking thats all, Mick B.
Mick B.

jimmy2310

Re: what do we do in real life.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:32:41 am »

Mick,
The only bit of sea I've been on is the bit the mersey ferry uses to Wallasey and Birkenhead and New Brighton when it had a pier years ago, now I'm more or less retired through ill health, I used to be a bus driver for the local council till it was deregulated then became a coach driver for many years but had to pack it all in when I developed a neurological problem and had to have brain surgery, I'm 60 next month so I been told I can officially retire if I want.

Jimmy

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:36:16 am »

There is enough problems trying to get people on here to put an area where they live, So you have no chance of finding out what people do in real life unless they put it in a post.  However some will glady tell you I'm Sure

I for one would never put that information on forum, might as well put your bank details on.. :-))

Larry
CEO
TLB Society.. :}  FBI Division

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 09:44:02 am »

I don't mind telling you all what I did/do...I'm now retired due to ill health (two heart attacks and a work related shoulder/arm injury) after a forty year trucking career, the last fifteen of which were spent working for our local District Council, first driving a RCV, then a road sweeper.

Rich

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:52:10 am »

Hi Larry, is it not sad that we have to lead so guarded life today. I guess however you are right to some extent, although I don't know what use it would be to you to know that I am an Auto Technician, other than to ask me some related questions. Other peoples occupations always interest me, & it helps me to understand their point of view sometimes, never mind that some peoples jobs are extremely interesting, Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 10:02:05 am »

HI Jimmy & U33, A lot of us have collected our fair share of work & other related injuries  in our lives, I too have had a stroke, but it sure makes you feel life is pretty nice after all when you recover. there is no warranty so make the most of every day. I bet you could tell some good bus stories U33, Mick B.
Mick B.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:09 am »

In am now retired   through ill health.

Spent half my working life as a carpenter and joiner [did a 5 year apprenticeship in those days] and the other half driving articulated trucks here and on the continent.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:21 am »

Hi Larry, is it not sad that we have to lead so guarded life today. I guess however you are right to some extent, although I don't know what use it would be to you to know that I am an Auto Technician, other than to ask me some related questions. Other peoples occupations always interest me, & it helps me to understand their point of view sometimes, never mind that some peoples jobs are extremely interesting, Mick B.
Are well you see knowing that you are an Auto Technician I could Umm,  O0 Fully agree its is getting silly, Shred this , shred that and then the banks don't bother.

Must admit you seem to be  getting a better response than putting area's in..  :}

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 10:09:43 am »

I have no problems at all either..........

pent 22 years as a woodwork. craft design technology teacher (even teaching model boat building to enthusiastic night school classes, lol)
before I had to retire with a nervous breakdown...staff bulliying, not kids), and then went to driving and operating  a mobile library around the countryside for that local council...that was an absolute peach of a job for 10 years until I fell out the cab door one cold winter's morning and kneerknackered my back and had to retire from that one as well.............but have enjoyed my life AND  my jobs and would do it all again given the chance.

neil.

Merseymart

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:26:56 am »

I have no issues in saying what I do. Nothing!  >:-o
Made redundant in February from a company I was with for neigh on 10yrs.
Potted about with a couple of other jobs up until May and currently sending off
CV's to every tom, dick and harry that I can find offering half decent paid work!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:33:31 am »

Hi Longbuild, I have found in life that people like it when you take a genuine interest in them & what it is they do or what hobbies they persue. These days we don't seem to have the time to take an interest in other people. My friends are important people in my life & I always try to make time for them, Mick B. 
Mick B.

nick_75au

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 10:41:00 am »

Well I'm a sparky, building luxury motor boats, did my time in the Navy, got out as a leading hand after only 6 years. now I'm looking for a job to get qualified as a Electrical Mechanic, which means back to apprentice wages probably {:-{ Hopefully only a year or so.

Nick

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:22 am »

I run a website and forum called model Boat Mayhem... in my spare time, I'm an IT support technician... I fix PCs 'n stuff!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jimmy2310

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:08 am »

There goes the neighbourhood {-)

Jimmy

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 11:35:27 am »

I started out working in coal fired, then nuclear power stations. I moved onto electrical power system dispatcher. Made it to management in that line. There was a mistake, a company reorganizing made me redundant in the early nineties. Went on to having a business moving rail equipment by road, laser machining, steam boat engineer, steam loco driver (yes I did get paid for that one for a bit), and farmer (cattle and sheep). Worked in a local hobby store. I think I'm close to retirement now.

John

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 12:26:41 pm »

Worked for a couple of companies in the leisure machine industry (gaming and amusement machines, jukeboxes and pool tables, etc) since losing my apprenticeship as a watchmaker in 1978....got the opportunity to buy out the previous owners in 1997, so now own my business operating leisure equipment and have recently opened my own modelshop / hobby store in town after the last one abandoned us....

I know which business holds more appeal......although to be fair, we get a lot of shop visitors that drink our coffee, eat all the biscuits, chat for hours and don't buy much...but hey, that's what builds friendships - but it's costing a fortune in 'Hob nobs!'

Sure beats the hell out of licences, compliance, regulation, tax and bloody agro' with the leisure machine industry

andyn

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:19:05 pm »

It's pretty obvious what I do ;)

Andy.

FsASTSyd1

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »

Although retired now I started out in shipping(Admin)with a company whose office/warehouse/dock was almost beside the Tower of London. Then I joined the Royal Air Force for 3 years, (Twice as much pay as the National Service guys) and ended up staying in for 37 years. The Far East was already starting to close down so my overseas postings were only Germany 4 times (Around 10 years total) and Cyprus, but, with shorter times in Norway,Denmark,Finland,Belgium,North Africa,Trinidad,Belize & the USA. Interspersed with many UK and NI locations. No! I am not going to tell you what I did, remember the old adage, "Then I would have to kill you", and/or I don't want the heavies on my doorstep by Tuesday. After that I had a short spell as a courier, then, I was back as a civilian with MOD supply provisioning Simulators and spares for the three services till I was 65, looking back would do the same again. I suppose I must say thank you to all the taxpayers who funded my working life and allowed me to have enough to dabble in model tugs. :-)) :-)) O0
Syd

mikearace

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »

Have no problems in telling people what I do, and what I have done before, at all.  Did 9 years in the mob (RN) then came out and joined the Post Office.   They kindly supported me through uni for 3 years and also again kindly helped me relocate from the North East to the other end of the country which I am always thankful for.  I stayed with them for 25 years working in HR and Industrial Relations up to a fairly senior position (now that was fun at times!!) then left on voluntary redundancy (it was either that or relocate again when my job moves to somewhere that people in the South think is the far North but to me its actually in the midlands given that Northumberland is a further 150 mile further North than where I was supposed to relocate to).  Then joined the NHS as an Assistant Director of HR in a Mental Health Trust, a job I am still in at the moment but counting down the days to retirement.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »

I started as a Vehicle Mechanic.
Moved through to Mechanical Engineering.
Joined Portsmouth Dockyard as a Boring (apt name) Machine Operator (Just after 1 operator killed on his machine).
I jumped at the chance to be retrained as an Engineer on the RMAS Tugs then went sea-going.
Just taken early retirement after a summer season as Engineer on the Isle of Wight Ferries.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

craftysod

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »

I left school and worked in a foundry for a while,joined RN for 10 years,got bored so joined Army for 2 years,got bored of being told what to do so left.
So i joined various companies driving artic lorries,got fed up being away so much.
So joined the gas network 14 years ago driving grab lorries,but got fed up with the previous wife because i was home every night.
So now i am with my partner,(god bless her,she has health issueus,but a real diamond} still driving lorries for the gas networks,but am studying plumbing/gas qualifications to improve myself.
Mark

Spook

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:22 pm »

I was in IT, a senior techincal analyst/programmer on IBM mid-range machines, for almost 30 years,  until two redundancies in October 2008 put an end to the high life. I retrained (at 51) as a railway signaller and now spend my days/nights playing with trains.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 08:06:35 pm »

This has been an experience raising the question about what we do in real life, so to be fair I should tell you too. I was born in Ireland & immigrated to U/K when I was 16. I was called up for national service @ 18. Joined the RAF, trained at Weaton in Lankashire as an Auto technician,served in Cyprus & Aden, finished my time in the RAF @ RAF Locking & then boarded a ship @ Liverpool to sail to Canada. I have been here since. I have been back to the U/K  for visits (my family relatives live in London, also my business contacts are all in the U/K) I have repaired, serviced & restored old British sportscars for most of my life & enjoyed every minute of it. One wife divorced me & the second one died in less than 3 years. My partner & I have been together for 12 years & we have two cocker spaniels both adopted,I still work part time @ my own pace & I sell parts for British cars. I have been an avid outdoor photographer for some 25 years, so I know the outback around here pretty well. Calgary is only 55 minutes from the Rocky Mountains (55miles) I can see the mountains from my house, all in all it has been a good life & I hope more to come, I now enjoy model boats,(just started). THANK YOU ALL for your input.Mick Burke.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »

Bye the way Martin you do a terrific job as far as I can see, thank you, people like you add to the quality of our lives. Mick B.
Mick B.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:06 pm »

Organist and music teacher for the past 42 years, but also do PC repairs and tuition.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.