Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: what do we do in real life.  (Read 25888 times)

marinaru_ro

Re: what do we do in real life.
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »

I am working as a mechanical engineer at a railway company here in Romania, and like a modelboatbuilder in the afternoons...

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 08:43:22 pm »

Ran away to sea at 16 to train as an engineer, came home after 10 years, hung up my sea boots and went engineering in a pharmaceutical company for a while, then for last 20 years in a Power Station.
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Harrier

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 10:51:10 pm »

Me I'm a LGV pilot from Monday to Friday
but on a week end I'm in comand of one
or more of HM Ships in miniature of course

pugwash

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 11:53:34 pm »

Well I have had but two jobs - 10 yrs in the RN finishing as a Yeoman of Signals ( saw most of the world except OZ and Canada - both
of which I would have love to have seen.) Served in the police in Glasgow, Leicester and Northumberland mainly traffic and CID and uniform
patrol until injured effecting an arrest and spent the last ten years supervising the police control room
Retired and got a yacht and sailed it to Greece for several years till back got too bad.
Now its flyfishing and for the past 5 yrs model boats.
2 ex-wives (still friendly) and one current (friendly most of the time)
My life in a nutshell but I've enjoyed it most of the time.

Geoff

Dave13

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 11:08:05 am »

I was working as a bus driver until last November when I was made redundant and haven't been able to find any other work :((
However I get to take my daughter to and from school everyday and speed lots of time with my wife!!
And work on my model trains/boats out in the shed when the wife has had enough of me LOL  :} :}

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 05:26:23 pm »

Wanted to be a Treacle Bender in the Dunchideock mines  %%  Went on to join the RAF for a full career, retiring 6 years ago.  Now boat building and doing the Crossword.
Don't Assume Check

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 05:39:15 pm »

I'm lgv driver, been doing it about 8 years now. Work for agency since made redundant from Co-Op Logistics last October, but suits me as can choose what days I want to do. Did 15 years as retained firefighter but had to reluctantly finish earlier this year when had to move house, Dave.

sentry

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »

Spent 3 years with BP TANKER CO so seen a lot of the world but mostly the gulf and europort.
Then on leave saw my team Sunderland win the FA cup, got drunk met the now wife for 37 years so did,nt go back to sea ( big mistake lol) still paying for it now , few odd jobs and then 34 years in the making steel in Scunthorpe,  retiered after heart op but after 8 weeks got fed up so for last 18 months have worked at a old peoples home as a decorator love it been very lucky in only having 6 weeks out of work since leaving school  now am 57 so not bad.
                                  regards sentry.

TomTheKraut

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »

No secrets about me...
Was a Policeman for 5 years (right after college) then found out you can't change anything to the better, no matter how hard you try.
Jumped on the then-starting bandwagon of CAD (computer aided design) in the early to mid-80s, teaching how to use the system.
By the mid-90s I got employed by a then-customer of mine and am now still designing and developing car suspension parts for the same company - changing from having hundreds of bosses (a.k.a. self-employed) to having only one boss certainly was the right move!

HawkEye

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 02:23:33 pm »

Also started out in the (now rapidly declining) leisure machine industry and spent quite a few years working for a few of the big companies in that area.I'm now self employed and travel some 500 miles a week dealing  with dmx lighting / sound systems and the I.T./ cctv / video  equipment that runs nightclubs, although I still can't seem to completely get away from the amusement industry ( not through lack of trying ).

hawkEye

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 10:20:45 am »

Been at sea most of my working life, apart from a few years ashore driving LGV and working for my old man while he rebuild a J Class yacht in the 80's.

Now Captain of a 100metre dredger working South Coast and North Sea, in dry dock at the moment in Kaliningrad, Russia, and when on leave work on the Isle of Wight ferries out of Portsmouth.

hdserv

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 10:28:04 am »

well I am a courier travel all over europe by road or air to young to retire at 77
Jim

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:33 am »

Hi
Started my working career as a trainee train driver, then went onto driving earthmoving equipment, Then Coach driving all over europe (great Job apart from the passengers) and now a Road Safety officer for the local council.
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 01:21:07 pm »

Also started out in the (now rapidly declining) leisure machine industry and spent quite a few years working for a few of the big companies in that area.I still can't seem to completely get away from the amusement industry ( not through lack of trying ).

hawkEye

And you know you never will.......it gets in your blood, bit like being a fairground worker, carnie or showman.....we're a special breed of weird people!

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:27 pm »

I build models... http://myplace.frontier.com/~aimee.eng/index.html

They are okay,... nothing to really speak of or anything.  

fatcat123

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 08:07:00 pm »

I'm 26 and have done a few jobs.

I started off leaving college and working for npower in the IT support bit.

Then worked for an aircraft refurb company at Manchester airport.

All the while studying and gaining quals to go offshore as welding inspector/NDT tech. Went offshore to work on the 'castoro sei' which is a pipelay vessel and then onto the saipem 7000 which is a crane barge by trade but can do pipelay. That turned out to be a mistake as i was involved in a very serious accident there in September 2008 when i was 23. They basically dropped a pipe, through a walkway, i and others were on and we fell 25 meters bouncing off bits of steel. 4 were killed and i barely made it out. Smashed my bones to bits, the worst being my pelvis which caused damage to my sciatic nerve which has left me permanent paralysis below my left knee aswell as movement issues in the left leg. I had to have a total left hip replacement last October as a result.

Still persueing compensation which they dont seem to want to pay out. Off to court it is then....!   >>:-(

Recently gained my pilots license and now hour building in order to start my commercial license. I hope to become an instructor in a few years.

Dan

craftysod

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 08:24:05 pm »

Good on you Dan,well done mate,saw from a lot earlier on here the accident.
A quick question,does the plane need to be adapted,because of the paralysis
Mark

mikearace

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 08:25:47 pm »

Go for it Dan

fatcat123

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »

No, i have a slight flicker on my foot where i can push it down at the ankle and its quite strong.

I wear a splint to keep my foot level as i would trip over it all the time otherwise, with this and the little flicker i have, i can operate the rudders fine. I can also operate the footbrakes but i choose to use the handbrake on the aircraft as its a bit safer. I can only use the handbrake on Piper made aircraft as these are like a car handbrake, on a variable type thing. Cessnas are a parking brake and i would lock the wheels up if i use the handbrake on there!

I prefer flying piper aircraft anyway to be honest.

Its possible for a hand rudder to be installed for people who cannot use their legs at all but its next to useless on the ground for steering.

I'd love to fly business jets one day but i dont think i'll get that far due to the hours required and the expense of getting the appropriate ratings. I.e commercial license, probably 1000-2000 hours, full instrument rating, multi engine jet rating, type rating on the aircraft you are wanting to fly, i.e a cessna citation. all in all minus the hours, your looking about £40k. its well paid though and worth it. Most airline pilots have been an instructor at some stage in their lives simply to gain the hours needed to unfreeze their ATPL license. (1500 hours, of which 500 must be on multi engine aircraft, jet or piston)

I'm currently on 57 hours, of which 20 odd are pilot in command. I need another 130 before i can start a commercial. Its an expensive and long winded thing!

Dan

davidsg1a

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 09:13:30 pm »

I'll add my job as well, Im an Able Seaman, worked chemical tankers, AHTS, RFA, now a muddy water sailor working for a ferry company sailing accross the mighty Minch. {-)

David

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 06:38:03 pm »

Hang in there Dan, it is obvious you have the perseverance to succeed  & I am sure everybody on here is pulling for you. If you lived in North America after an accident like that you would be paid enough insurance to live comfortable for the rest of your life. Get the best layer you can & get what you deserve. DON'T let them off the hook. If they were decent people there should not be an issue. Keep us informed as to how you are getting along. Mick B.
Mick B.

craftysod

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 08:48:09 pm »

Pity flying hours are different to airmiles,you cant transfer them,otherwise you could have my 23hrs flying time.
Had to give up,got to expensive.
Mark

Mdl63

• Shipmate
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 09:26:44 pm »

You could have my 22 PPL hours too! For my day job I am a TV Producer - mainly adverts and Home Shopping Telly - hey - it pays the bills and buys the next boat!
Markie

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 09:53:07 pm »

Well I get paid to hack Computers Websites and networks for a living.

All legal and above board as an IT security consultant I Just find the vulnerabilities before the black hat hackers an get them fixed.

Spook

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 12:53:20 am »

Johno, that sounds like such fun. For my last 2 and a bit years in IT I used to work for a subsidiary of a large financial instittution, *cough* bank, and part of my role was to ensure that bods like you couldn't hack into our systems. Wish I'd been on the dsark side :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.