Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: what do we do in real life.  (Read 25879 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: what do we do in real life.
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2011, 09:51:59 am »

Hi Essex, I wish I could it would be a hoot to drive, I have only worked on one Bentley in my life, that was a 1955 saloon. I have built E types, MGB's, Midget's, Mini's, Triumph's & others from the ground up. ( we sublet the bodywork ) The British vintage sportscar hobby feels like it is in decline, the young people have little interest, they like their Rice Rockets, they can tune them with chips & computers. It is a little sad really, but I am now semi retired so it has little effect on me. Mick B.. 
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2011, 09:55:19 am »

HI Derek, the mesh is there to keep the rocks & everything else out of the supercharger as far as I  know, not much protection was it ?. Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2011, 10:59:56 am »

hi derek.that looks like the Villiers twin carb supercharger fitted to the  World famous Tim Birkin Blower Bentleys 4.5 litre supercharged racers of the 1920's Le Mans circuits.
the mesh was to guard the twin carbs and air intakes which were situated on that side of the supercharger..

they were two wheel drive cars

close up of a similar blower below.

the true Tim Birkin Blower Bentleys are today priceless, but there are a good number of replicas and these regularly fetch over  1 - 2 million quid.

dazzza01

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2011, 12:40:22 pm »

hi guys
i spent many years as an electrician then maintenance engineer at a hospital
now i work for a telecoms company .
darryl

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »

When not playing with model boats and model trains, I paint things like this to try and fund it all.....  {-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

wartsilaone

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:29 pm »

WOW that Manor class is fantastic. Nicely done.

Ali.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:20 pm »

Excellent work! :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2011, 05:12:38 pm »

Where is the mouse?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2011, 06:06:26 am »

I would have NO problem putting one of those on my wall, beautiful thats all I can say. Mick B.
Mick B.

mikearace

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2011, 06:15:12 am »

You must be able to buy a lot of very expensive boats!!  Stunning.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2011, 07:16:46 am »

Cheers chaps  :embarrassed: ... My output isn't high these days, due to health problems but I splash a bit of paint around when I can... , that and the modelling manage to keep me out of mischief , unfortunately..  {-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

hopeitfloats

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2011, 10:42:56 am »

all my working life has been centred around agriculture. served my apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic working on fiat tractors and new holland combines and haybalers. then 20 years in the irrigation industry building up pumping stations and installing them until made redundant and for the last 12 months working as a maintanence engineer for a local seed cleaning company.

daveorgan

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2011, 11:29:42 am »

i spent 20 years on the canals all my child hood life lived on the boat didnt appreciate what i had then father died 15 years ago when i wass 25 sold the boat what a mistake now i would give anything for those priceless times to share with my kids building canal boats just brings a little bit of the old times back to me

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2011, 01:18:29 pm »

I feel like I'm at an AA meeting ................ My name is Dave and I'm a modeller %%.

For the last thirty three to five years I've worked on the Rail network. Posts range from Drainage to track maintainance to thermit welder (and two years city and guilds at night school) to 20 years of doing/managing ultrasonic inspection and now onto track geometry quality and tampers ......... in another few years who knows? I am also a health and safety rep. Recently I did a BA hons Literature with the OU just for fun. I have two old german scooters I keep meaning to restore (gathering spares now but at least they are in a new dry shed) 1959 Durkopp Diana and Heinkel Tourist. I've recently got really interested in model boats. Finally I'm having some diabetes problems with my hands tingling even though I have good sugars control - need to go the doctors with that one. Looking forward to starting my Kalakala build in the new year with the help of you guys.

Firm beliefs - 1 If you are going to drink beer then drink good beer O0, 2- People with hobbies are some of the most helpful and approachable people in the world - learnt that first from seeking scooter parts all over the world  and found it's the same with you guys here 8).

Regards Norseman

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2011, 02:54:10 pm »

Trained as a motorcycle mechanic, when there was still bikes like Ariels and BSA's etc. Joined Army for 12 years (Royal Engineers) worked in Social Work for 17 years finished as an IT support worker with them when services no longer required  :-) :-) :-). Now bone idle, apart from model boats. ps: I don't get any money from the government,  >>:-( >>:-( due to having a pension. Might have been better off never having worked and getting everything going.   
If it ain't broke it ain't mine

Darklord

« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2011, 12:19:14 am »

Left school at 16. Joined the army (7th Royal Signals Regiment) served for 3 years. Then went into the Bodyshop trade and ended up spraying cars for 20 years. Then I got out of the trade, and now assemble gearboxes for JCB Transmissions in Wrexham. I've always had an interest in making models since i was a little lad. I did a bit of RC car racing, but found it too expensive to keep up with the jones's. Then the club lost the outdoor track.
Then I happened to meet an old boy named Malcolm from the Wirral model boat club, who inspired me to take up model boating and now, here I am!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »

Hey geids

Please say that again - it was almost ssssssexy - 'now bone idle' I just can't wait to have some of that mate  :} :-))

If you don't mind I might pm you in the future if I get stuck on my scooter rebuilds (if I ever find time to start that is).

Regards Norseman

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2011, 03:25:12 pm »

Left school at 16. Joined the army (7th Royal Signals Regiment) served for 3 years. Then went into the Bodyshop trade and ended up spraying cars for 20 years. Then I got out of the trade, and now assemble gearboxes for JCB Transmissions in Wrexham. I've always had an interest in making models since i was a little lad. I did a bit of RC car racing, but found it too expensive to keep up with the jones's. Then the club lost the outdoor track.
Then I happened to meet an old boy named Malcolm from the Wirral model boat club, who inspired me to take up model boating and now, here I am!

was that track at Horsley by Marford the 1/8 circuit? I raced my PBs there stoped when they went 4wd.

Darklord

« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2011, 06:37:30 pm »

No it was Wrexham MCC's tarmac track on the industrial estate by Kelloggs. The club was struggling with it's finances  <:(
The track at marford is still there though, but a bit over grown. I just bash buggies there now and then.

tees

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2011, 08:19:04 pm »

I have no problems..........joined Tees Towing at 16 on the tees. Taken over by CORYS, WISJMULLER now working for SVITZER, still on the tees. Coming up to 40 years

next may .

Ged.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2011, 08:21:53 am »

HI Tees, I bet you know your way around a tug & have many stories to tell. I have to say tugs are my favourites of all the vessels on the oceans. Do you think what we do in real life should be part of our bio when we join the forum ?, @ our discression of course.  Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2011, 05:08:41 pm »

We should all have to post up an alternate life sort of like an Avatar - me - I'd be an 'On Call Poet'
The washing machines bursts a pipe and I come out pdq cause I'm damned expensive  :-))
and you get say

I know a man
Who reads all insriptions on ancient stones
and who knows
the grammars of all languages, dead or alive,
but who cannot read
the eyes of a woman
whom he thinks he loves

Who else is going to provide a bit of  Shadab Vadji (Illiterate) in a domestic crisis
It's a niche market just waiting to be filled.  %%

Dave

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »

Hi Dave, I think you are a nut but a nice nut, LOL . Mick B.
Mick B.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

OK now 54, trained at RAE Farnborough as an Electronic Craftsman, this included mechanical & electricals as well. Stayed on in Base Workshop doing 1st & Second line aircraft Avionics maintenance. The left & worked at the AA as a Radio Tech, then into IT in 79. I now work for a major US computer manufacturer designing, troubleshooting & auditing Data Centres or computer rooms. Have enough knowledge on cooling & power & IT to cover the bases & be dangerous.
Jim

tjones27

« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2011, 09:20:46 am »

Hi all, i currently work at ETPS at MOD Boscombe down, and am only 22. i have always dreamed of joining the RAF as a pilot, but after going through selection twice, and passing the second time they then stopped recruiting thanks to the SDSR :( but im grateful for having this job that funds my hobbies. As im in a house share i build my models in my parents garage which is about an hours drive, and i have to fit it in between my other hobby. Surfing :-)) But im finding a good balance between the two, but never the money. haha.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.