Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a Microgyros pitch controller  (Read 5702 times)

redboat219

Setting up a Microgyros pitch controller
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »

I acquired a Microgyros mini pitch controller for use on my Trumpeter Kilo.
My plan is  to use it as a stand alone control for the stern planes. Depth change will be through the bow planes. I'm  using a 4 channel Futaba GWD.

My question is how I need to power it up, Y connector from  the dive plane channel or do I  connect it directly to the battery?

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Setting up a Microgyros pitch controller
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:19 pm »

Its as easy as falling into the pond.I connect mine to channel 5 on a rotary knob for trimming adjustments but all you have to do is plug the leveller into the reciever on an unused channel,press the setup button (while on a level surface)and forget all about it
It will work independantly of all other channels
Regards Donuts

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:55:19 pm »

If you use the Y-lead from an occupied channel,don't cut any wire but follow Jeff's advice by pressing SETUP until the red light flashes.
That sets the pitch control to ignore the command of the shared channel.
In saying that,two of the beta testing units did not have that function and all of the beta examples did not twitch the servo on every key press.By the way,beta trials ended a year ago. {-)

Since you have a clear plastic sub-driver,a photo transistor can directly replace a magnetic reed.It is much easier tinkering by remote with it all fastened up isn't it?
I now supply infra-red and visible light sensitive photo transistor with pitch controls so you can use a torch beam or tv remote to do any last minute trim.

The forward planes are so small and very close to the centre of gravity.The wisdom of  using forward planes vs rear planes for depth has been addressed on another Kilo build.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

g4yvm

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:30:29 am »

Since you have a clear plastic sub-driver,a photo transistor can directly replace a magnetic reed.It is much easier tinkering by remote with it all fastened up isn't it?
I now supply infra-red and visible light sensitive photo transistor with pitch controls so you can use a torch beam or tv remote to do any last minute trim.

Since I dont yet have PC to play with, I dont understand this at all!  Is the photo resistor being used as an on/off switch?

David

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »

Since I dont yet have PC to play with, I dont understand this at all!  Is the photo resistor being used as an on/off switch?

David
No,not for on/off but I will have a tiny remote device to switch the BEC provided by microgyros escs.These escs don't consume any current without power to the receiver so there is no need for a high current switch.

Pitch control settings for one sub may not suit another so it is an aid if they can be changed by magnetic reed or torch beam.Just think how long this vid would be if a 60 lb Typhoon was lifted and lowered into the pool,bolts done/undone six times,to find the optimum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zodqVly2bk
He sailed it poolside and swiped by magnet to tweak each setting.

The vid could possibly have been condensed to seconds because the microgyro,Spc-pro2 and Spc-pro3 pitch controls could have settings changed by another transmitter channel.It requires the extra complexity and cost of a transmitter channel encoder and decoder (hooked to the ext. pins) to vary all settings.
That would be overkill so there is no mention in the pitch control documentation.

I can supply Spc-pro2 owners with photo sensors to replace magnetic reeds if they contact me through microgyros.com.
If anyone wants to be able to change Spc-pro2 or Spc-pro3 from their transmitter then I might have encoders/decoders ready in time for the Sunday of Blackpool Model Boat Show - 2015  %)

redboat219

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:06 am »

Unless  you're driving your boats on dark moonless nights in an unlighted pool wouldn't using a phototransistor pose some problems as exposure to ambient light would throw it off it's settings?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:53:02 am »

Unless  you're driving your boats on dark moonless nights in an unlighted pool wouldn't using a phototransistor pose some problems as exposure to ambient light would throw it off it's settings?
No,because you can point or position it accordingly.
You can also use t'other one.

In an email to a mayhem member and customer
The sensitive side of the rectangular TCZT8012 is the small,recessed dome shaped lens.It is sensitive to torchlight,sunlight and desk lamps.

The infra-red- transistor is in a standard diode package with collector being the longer lead.It is only sensitive to
 longer wavelengths,as found in tv remotes.TV remotes require adaptation as they emit bursts of pulses.

redboat219

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:41:01 pm »

Mike,
           Regarding the microgyro-R pitch controller, will  it function as a stand alone controller if I plug it in the battery slot of my receiver?

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:35:23 pm »

Mine do,I fit em and forget em.best things since sliced bread and I have tried everything on the market
I will not use anything else unless forced too
Regards Donuts

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »

Mike,
           Regarding the microgyro-R pitch controller, will  it function as a stand alone controller if I plug it in the battery slot of my receiver?
It is academic because you'll soon see that you have to use the rear planes.The forward ones are too small and too far back to have any appreciable effect.

If a receiver is not a bec type then you can tap power off that slot.
With no pwm signal on the batt slot,the pitch control will switch to auto-level function.

Looks like you lost the instruction link so I shall pm that.
Anything specific to the pitch control,I can deal with by email,Yahoo IM or phone.

redboat219

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »

If a receiver is not a bec type then you can tap power off that slot.
With no pwm signal on the batt slot,the pitch control will switch to auto-level function.

Looks like you lost the instruction link so I shall pm that.

The Futaba 4 GWD 4ch AM 27mHz radio uses the R124H receiver. From what I've been able to search online so far doesn't seem to have a built-in BEC ( maybe because most ESCs nowadays come equipped with their own BEC).

Thanks for the link. I'll download and print it.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 04:12:36 pm »

I installed one in my little Kilo, and like Herr GrossAdmiral reported, it was literally a case of "plug it in and away it went".

You also have the bonus of being able to over ride the unit from the tx in case of an emergency crash dive being needed when a surface boat is bearing down on you at high speed and you have nowhere to go...just bang the tx stick controlling the 'planes to 'hard a dive' and the 'planes react normally...once underwater and out of harms way, release the tx stick and the leveller takes control again, maintaining whatever depth you chose to level off at.

Absolutely brilliant things, and incredibly small as well...I'll be fitting another one in my winter project.

Rich

redboat219

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »

About the Kilo. Does it really need pitch control? It's  so short.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 04:51:42 pm »

It seems to work perfectly with the leveller fitted, it's one less thing to think about when sailing it. Mind you, it worked ok before I fitted it...I guess it's a case of 'you pays yer money and you makes yer choice....'

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.