Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: deans marine warship build  (Read 6824 times)

radiojoe

deans marine warship build
« on: September 19, 2011, 05:02:01 pm »

hi. All
just finished building robbe seawolf, and already thinking of building next project which I think will be a warship in 1:96 scale, I was looking at Deans Marine HMS Cossack or Solebay, If anyone has any experience with either of these models I would appreciate hearing what you think ie. Deans kits in general, which ship you think is the better, what comes with the kit etc.I have many years experience in RC modelling though never tackled a sizable warship.Thanks

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: deans marine warship build
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

radiojoe

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:30:43 pm »

Thanks for that Richard yes that helps alot the kits look to be good quality and what nice models they are.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:23:28 pm »

I asked a similar question RE Deans kits a little while ago, not decided which I should go for yet...I'm still considering the Deans corvette and maybe Cossack in the future.

A link to that thread here with some more forum members views.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32210.0

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

radiojoe

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:05:56 am »

:-))  Thanks guys, From what I've seen here the Deans kit looks like it would fit the bill, being retired now I want something that has a bit of work involved and a longish project,I just have to decide now between HMS cossack  or Solebay,    I'm leaning towards Solebay it has the wider beam and I'm thinking could be more stable, But then Cossack is a very hansome vessel. I'm going to have to gave it a lot of thought.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »

I think you (we ?!) should be fine with a Deans kit, lots of help on the forum if you (we!) need it O0

Its a problem which one to go for first time...I think I'll do their corvette first...after the Revell plastic kit I have...then Cossack followed by....er, don't know yet!

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

radiojoe

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:39 pm »

O0 Yes I think your right about Deans kit JB, still deciding which one, I looked at the corvette I guess you mean HMS compass rose she looks like an interesting model.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:17 pm »

Yes Compass Rose, I have a book on corvette's, lots of info and photo's of the ships during the war and also models, some good photo's of the Revell, I was going for the Deans first but wasn't sure about the kit or the build, I found a Revell corvette kit locally and they only had 3 left and no more coming so I had to buy it, Deans is smaller at about 675mm, Revell is around 900mm if I remember, would need to check that but its 34" I don't use metric if I can avoid it!

Deans look like a modellers 'kit' I think we can figure out how they go together...some research and it'll be fine, as you have experience...aircraft-cars?...and me also, we are half way there at least...

If we get stuck DickyD on here is the expert :-))

radiojoe

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:03:34 am »

Yes I'll definatly get a Deans kit when I decide between Cossack and Solebay I chose these because they are a nice size at aprox 4' each and I like the fact there's a lot of work involved, I hope to get one of them for a winter project, have fun with the corvette JB.

deadbeat

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:03 pm »

I built Solebay shortly after it was first issued. Some imperfections as normal in Deans, but not as many as my Nubian. It made a good model in the end. I put in three sound simulators, gun, asdic and siren, an amplifier. a mylar speaker, a switcher unit all by ACTION, two 7.2v nicad packs two Astec ESCs. I used Deans recommended motors. I used 5 channels on a six-channel RC system.

Its a good stable model.

I wanted to build Solebay as built, but after a lot of research and e-mails to Deans they admitted that it represents Solebay after a 1953 refit, one of the main differences was the central deckhouse.

Good l

radiojoe

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 02:00:21 pm »

:-)) Thanks Deadbeat, the photo's are impressive, and a great help in making my mind up as I'm still leaning towards Solebay, the addition of sound is something I had in mind as was a smoke generator, I'll have to do a bit of research into that later,Thanks again, your model is truly impressive I hope mine will be as good.

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

Joe this to is(was) a Solebay kit with a few minor alterations to get it to the radar picket version - great fun to make but top heavy because of the
masts.  It has two 6v Graupner smoke generators in the funnel but all the additional electrics had to be removed because of the weight problem
Motto is build as light as you can.

Geoff

radiojoe

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 02:57:00 pm »

:-)) Another impressive model Pugwash, HMS Solebay really is a striking model (no pun intended, ie the accidental ramming of HMS Trafalger) I think it will be Solebay I build, although with models like yours and Deadbeats about I'm going to have to do my best, I plan on ordering the kit in November, I've taken on board what you said about the weight, thanks.

farrow

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »

That Solebay is great, the pic on the water is brilliant.

radiojoe

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:16 am »

O0 Yes I agree with you, I hope mine turns out as good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.