Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Amazon 1906 - Build  (Read 46886 times)

bobk

Re: HMS Amazon 1906 - Build
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 03:52:50 pm »

Fore Deck
Started work on the fore deck, a fairly straightforward fabrication from the printed plastic sheets, but instead of just "scribing" the non slip pattern I thought I'd go 3D using thin plasticard.  Getting the mitre joints right was interesting, however 62 pieces later . . .    Sand down, then a brush 'wash' with diluted PVA to fill joints.  Two similar areas on the main deck to do - now I have started.

Performance
Following first 'sea trials' on Sunday I decided to change the props from 20 to 25 mm rather than mess about with the tiny high RPM motors now they are installed.  Ordered online from Deans early on Monday, fitted today.  Fast response.
Reducing rudder profile a bit, had to anyway as the larger props touched it on full helm. 
All part of the learning curve.  My first kit build in four decades   %) 

bobk

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »

Changing to larger 25 mm props made such a difference today.  Almost no prop turbulence behind, higher top speed with less wake, and better low speed control.  Oddly less noise too.  Maybe a flywheel effect of the larger props plus limiting the high motor RPM.
Reducing the rudder profile had no detrimental effects.

Thank you to Mayhemers on my 'Hidden Catch' thread, I will be fitting small neodymium magnets under the flush mounted access covers. 
Report & photos to follow. 

Superstructure building underway.  Very little of it on this model, mostly in 4 laminated thicknesses of plastic sheet, with stepped joints at access panel breaks.  Chart House, and glazing. Main deck housing. Joints filled and sanded.

I fancy adding planking to appropriate deck areas, after the main painting and before adding fittings detail to those areas.
I will have to research this aspect, never having done it before.

bobk

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:54 am »

Magnetic Catches
I wanted to secure the deck access hatches but without visible fixings.  Neodymium magnetic catches were suggested, 6 dia x 3.  When they arrived a pair appeared almost strong enough to attach the boat to the ceiling, so after trying plastic shims I eventually used a small strip of steel cut flush into the hatch base and a single magnet in a ply strip.

This seems to hold the hatch down well without needing force to lift the hatch edge.

bikerdude666

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:18 pm »

where did you get the magnets?

bobk

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 08:34:36 am »

From E Bay.  Set of 50 for £4.99.  Arrived promptly.  They are still listed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-6mm-dia-x-3mm-N42-GRADE-/360406449171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53e9e5fc13
Note:  A pair of these has a seperation force of 1.2Kg, hence the need to either separate with 2 mm plastic 'shim' or just use one and a thin steel strip.

bobk

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:52 pm »

Back in the dockyard after a two week holiday, I have now secured all three access hatches with magnetic fasteners.  Below is detail of the steering compartment with magnet in square ply bar and underside of hatch showing steel strip.

Detailing of the decks will be next, having decided to individually plank the relevant areas, being a glutton for punishment.  Never having done this before I am opting to build the planked areas on very thin Plasticard so I can fit them after primary painting.  Planks are 2 mm wide x 0.5 thick, to be separated by black sewing thread to simulate caulking. I have been advised to 'stain' the maple with tea after assembly, then satin varnish before adding painted deck fittings.  Before this however I need to complete the remaining nonslip pattern areas. 
I am also upgrading the excellent etched railings supplied with the kit for individual Deans etched stanchions and soldered wire as these on my Skirmisher look better.  No hurry, just doing a bit each evening  :}

bikerdude666

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:08 am »

From E Bay.  Set of 50 for £4.99.  Arrived promptly.  They are still listed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-6mm-dia-x-3mm-N42-GRADE-/360406449171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53e9e5fc13
Note:  A pair of these has a seperation force of 1.2Kg, hence the need to either separate with 2 mm plastic 'shim' or just use one and a thin steel strip.

Thanks that's another on the watch list waiting for pay day!

bobk

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »

Deck detailing is still underway, there is a lot of it, but photos don't show white on white detail well.  The scuppers are in, 4mm from the edge, ready to drill over 200 tiny holes for the new individual brass etched stanchions.  These are in three and two hole styles, the later for areas where the originals would fold away when cleared for action.  A lot of micro soldering for brass wire rails will be fun.
Two more areas of anti slip deck patterning is in progress.  This time I have used a much thinner plasticard than in photo at top of page.

My first venture into Lithoplate detail, I do like making things difficult by going beyond what the kit specifies.  After much experimenting I found that using the tip of a biro with a mouse mat under the litho seemed to create the best raised rivets effect.  This will be used on deck and superstructure detail.  The hull is well detailed and I have to avoid extra weight.

2mm x 0.5mm deck planking will be applied to pre-cut 10 thou plasticard with sewing thread between as caulking.  I need to keep these off the boat for as long as possible to avoid glue or paint mishaps.  I am not confident enough to mask, and don't have an airbrush yet.  Maybe when I have sprayed the initial base coat things may photograph better.

Harley

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2011, 07:45:52 pm »

Hello Bob. New to this forum, i will follow yout build very close. as a matter of fact this is the reason why i joined :-)  You may ask why ? Simply because I have both the Amazon and the Mohawk
sitting on the shelf build some 14 years ago by my two sons ( at this time they were 12 and 14 but the bulds turned out fine ) The two models are build as "standard" Deans kits.
But as time has passed by. materials has turned into making very small details easy. So now they both are to have a total makeover ( sons turned 26 and 28 :-) )

your build is looking very nice, so courious for the next step :-) :-)

Best regards
Harley

bobk

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:12 pm »

Welcome to the forum Harley.  Great to hear you have both the Amazon & Mohawk, and from 14 years ago.  Deans have (c)1984 on the plans.  I am recently back into modelling after 4 decades so much of this is a learning curve for me, but challenges can be fun.  I am not digressing from the kit intent too far, just enjoying the detailing.  Nice thing with this kit without complex superstructure is that it can either be built as a single shaft 'beginners' level, or you can take it further as you wish.  I will try to get more photos up soon but 'all white' small detail is not photographing well.  My build blog is a record of my experiences so far.
I would love to see pictures of your two Tribals, if you wouldn't mind.   O0

Harley

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:43 pm »

Hello Bob.
No problem. the pictures are maybe not that good but as i can see these are the only two static pics i have of them  {:-{
but you ca see them on the water here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/harleypoulsen?feature=mhee

The two small beautyes have been tested really hard. as they have been sailing every summer at least twice a week
since they were build ;-)  They are doing great. even in "rough" conditions. And as you say, they are brilliant models. of wich every
one can get as much as he want.  My Sons now wants to take the to the "next level" you might eventually have a look at our builds
on our website Bob.  http://www.wix.com/warshipmodelsdk/warshipmodelsdk

As you can se we are "into the Royal Navys great ships"   :} :}

best regards Harley

bobk

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

Thank you Harley.  Best wishes for your twin rebuilds !

Scuppers all in, ventilator bases, two new areas of deck anti slip (about 120 pieces), and dummy steering.

bobk

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 02:24:49 pm »

Some more progress:
Anti slip deck pattern in 20 thou plasticard, maybe 10 thou would have been better.  Litho riveted plating added to foredeck, deck break and parts of superstructure. 
Initial shaping of vac-formed funnels, and ventilators with brass wire cross fitted at front openings.  Both these are being left as unattached sub assemblies at this time for ease detailing and painting.  Lots more to do on these of course, bases, funnel caps with internal gauze and external brass wire topping cage, steam pipes, funnel stay fittings etc.

I bought my wife a new flour sieve, which means I can commandeer her old one for funnel fine mesh stainless steel gauze !
Note 'recessed' areas intended for deck planking, to be made up on 10 thou card as sub assemblies for fitting after main painting.
Hopefully edges of access panels will all but visually dissapear nearer completion.  That's the intent.

The big news is that I now have airbrushes and a compressor. Many thanks to all who gave such helpful advice on my recent "Brush vs Spray Can vs Airbrush " question thread.  Never having used one before, I am now breaking down the build sequence to best utilise my new toy !

Harley

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »

Well. Does this look nice or does it look nice. Bob you are doing a very fine job
on this magnifficent little ship - as a matter of fact it really was“nt that small at all -
but as model it is  O0 :-)) :-)) :-))

bobk

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

Thank you Harley:   As a model it is only 89 mm beam, although 900 mm long, to give a sense of scale to the pictures above, but you know that having two Tribals yourself.  I am enjoying myself, each step is a new challenge.  Keeps me away from the endless TV murder mysteries.   ;)

Harley

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »

Same here..   I am working at least 2 hours every day in my workshop, when getting home from work. Sometimes - very often indeed - it turnes out to be the whole evening :-) but as my wife says wisely.. Well at least i know where you are..
I have just started out producing etched brass items for my dreadnought. I have been experimenting the most of the summer, to learn how to do this.  As a matter of fact it is not that hard to learn and to do.
And it gives you the possibillaty to do parts for specialle YOUR model, wich cannot be purchased other places..  :-)

Have a look ;-)

AndrewB

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2011, 06:04:40 pm »

Nice work on the etching, that is a thing i would like to learn to do

Cheers Andrew

bobk

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:23 pm »

That looks really super Harley:  Perhaps you might consider writing a 'how to' thread on producing brass etchings?  I am sure many here would be very interested, in fact I can think of several applications I could use custom etchings for.
PS: Dreadnaught and two Tribal Class.  Sounds like you too are fascinated with warships of this era?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:28 pm »

What a lovely idea.   Could you do show us  'How to'  please    :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »

Great idea to do a show and tell  :-)) :-)) :-)) O0 O0 O0

colin-d

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2011, 07:58:36 am »

there is a thread on the Deansmarine website that goes into a little bit of Brass Etching

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=169.0

i do my own drawings and then for a postcard size of Brass pay about 8 pounds to get it Etched

Harley

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 09:50:05 am »

That looks really super Harley:  Perhaps you might consider writing a 'how to' thread on producing brass etchings?  I am sure many here would be very interested, in fact I can think of several applications I could use custom etchings for.
PS: Dreadnaught and two Tribal Class.  Sounds like you too are fascinated with warships of this era?

Hi Bob.
Sure, will do. next time i am doing something for my dreadnought - might be this week - i will do a step by step explanation. On how you can do a lot of
these parts in your kitchen..   Ofcause some very finedetailed parts will require a etchingdevice. I have such a device, as i have a lot to build, and also
supporting my klubmates. But a lot is done on a very simple way wich you all could do.

Two tribals and a Dreadnought. Yes I really do like teh ships of this era. Also the ones build between the WW. I have the next one coming up already. And am finishing
the plug for my fiberglass mould of the hull for HMS Renown as present 1943.  ( as a matter of fact i have the plans for about 25 british warships from the period. So not
running out of projects the next couple of years ;-)

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 10:14:14 am »

Hi Bob.
Sure, will do. next time i am doing something for my dreadnought - might be this week - i will do a step by step explanation. On how you can do a lot of
these parts in your kitchen..   Ofcause some very finedetailed parts will require a etchingdevice. I have such a device, as i have a lot to build, and also
supporting my klubmates. But a lot is done on a very simple way wich you all could do.

O0 O0 :-)) :-))

bobk

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 11:38:14 am »

Great Harley.  Best start a new thread for that, I will look out for it.

I have hit some challenges on my funnels, nothing supplied to make the funnel tops, so I may be a while before more pictures whilst I do some mini fabrication.  Also, four sets of white metal funnel steam pipes - but all the length of the tallest funnel.  I will cut the pipes near the centre to shorten, file step stub to fit aluminium tube of the same OD as the pipes, then epoxy back together.

I am working out how to airbrush the many resin and white metal fittings, without losing reference to their assembly ID's.  Maybe if I mount them in sets on card using Blue Tack with ID's marked in black, then photograph before overspraying the parts and references.

Harley

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2011, 11:54:01 am »

Great Harley.  Best start a new thread for that, I will look out for it.

Of cause.. Do“nt want to spoil your thread ;-)

reg. Harley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.