Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Amazon 1906 - Build  (Read 46892 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Amazon 1906 - Build
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2011, 12:07:13 pm »

Thanks Harley......... :-)) members from around the world wide Mayhem group await you new thread & instruction...... O0 {-) Derek in OZ.......... %)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

bobk

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2011, 12:37:13 pm »

Of cause.. Do´nt want to spoil your thread ;-)
reg. Harley

Not at all, I was suggesting that to keep it together under a new heading that fellow Mayhemers can easily find.  O0
Suggest you go to 'Hints tips & techniques' from the Home page, then 'Tutorials. How to', and click the 'new topic' button at the top of the page.

bobk

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2011, 10:02:30 am »

More progress:

Funnels:
As reported last time, a few challenges to overcome.  With nothing supplied in the kit for the funnel caps I had to fabricate them.  Laminates of Plasticard, fine gauze from a flour sieve, and soldered brass wire for the funnel cages.  Caps are still 'loose' prior to painting.

For the funnel steam pipes, in the end I did not have to cut and step-stub the white metal castings, which were all the length of the tallest funnel.  The forward pipes I was able to carefully straighten and re bend.  The aft ones were more of a problem, but as they were of a simpler shape I decided to use 3/32 copper tube instead. 

Steam pipe spreaders:  Instead of attaching loads of brass wire lengths to the pipes, then bending them to attach to funnels, I thought it might be neater to fit the supports to the funnel then attach the pipes to them.  After trying “D” forming the wire in the end I found that Bambi sized staples were more consistent.  Assembling was thus easier, locating into fine saw cuts in the pipes rather than drilling lots of holes in them.

Ventilators:
Below is image if the ventilators.  These were straightforward, vacuum formed bells with cast resin bases.

Next areas for building:  Rear gun platform and bridge assemblies.

bobk

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 03:00:00 pm »

Rear Gun Platform:
This sub assembly proved interesting, which was down to me going beyond what the kit intended.  

The rear 4 inch gun:
Four parts in cast metal plus a resin casting.  Very little flash cleaning required.  Having found a nice detail plan of this QF gun I thought I’d add some extra detail such as the training mechanism.  Brass wire, platicard, and some tiny washers.  Also added mounting base in lithoplate so I could add the many nuts around the mounting flange.  Cutting holes in litho a challenge.  I used a hollow punch.

2 inch dia rear gun platform
Gun platform.
Was to be a plastic circle on a vacuum formed base, with square section deck pattern.  Having found a similar era TBD platform on the Martime Museum site I tried to recreate the detail structure from that.  Plastistruct channels shaved right down and “I” beam supports underneath (not really visible above).  Die cast ladder sections fitted with wire reinforcing as ladder bottoms will not be attached due to my steering gear access hatch ending before the ladder.

Stanchions:
I had opted to exchange the original etched sheets of lengths of complete rail sections for individual 2 & 3 hole 11mm RN type.  During this part I began to regret my ambitiousness, but persevered.  I had bought a nice 12W miniature soldering iron for the job, but before the solder melted the brass wire became like HD springs pulling it all out of shape – just as the heat started to melt the plastic deck I had so carefully drilled.
Try again !   This time I fitted the stanchions, super-glued them in, then threaded the wire, finally applying more super glue to the wire joints.  Vastly better and more controllable, the rail sets are remarkably strong when finished.   Two hole are for areas that on the original fold down when cleared for action, three hole elsewhere.

Only another 200 stanchions on this ship.  It’s all a learning curve.   ;)   ;)
Bridge next, including the interior.

bobk

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2011, 03:37:33 pm »

A bit more progress, although had to divert to preparing the hull for painting as stanchions have been driving me nuts lately.

HULL
Instead of just painting in portholes, or drilling and plugging, I thought I’d try short lengths of 1/8” brass tube filled with clear casting resin.  These will be super glued in after painting.  First step was to position 0.7mm pilot indents with a pin drill, open up a reasonable 1/8” countersink just using a drill bit, then drill through (carefully) with the RotaCraft drill.   

A good rub down then I can clean the hull with detergent with a bit of Astonish.  Next will be a light spray with Halfords plastic primer to key the surface before firing up my new airbrush.

STANCHIONS
I had really struggled with these on the bridge, requiring five bends along a 70mm length using RN type individual stanchions.  When all else fails, search Mayhem resources !   I would really recommend this ‘How To’ thread.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5326.0

On reflection, based on the above, I figured out that my problems were perhaps due to using too thin a brass wire.  Now armed with a big magnifier lamp and digital vernier I can see the 0.3mm wire is extremely loose in the stanchion holes, which are around 0.6 dia.  I reckon I should have been using 0.5 wire in which case I may have a better chance of creating free standing rail assemblies without them collapsing like chain mail.

When my local model shop opens I will get some 0.5 dia. 
To experienced modellers this all may seem blindingly obvious, but we all had to learn the first time   %)

bobk

« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2011, 03:04:28 pm »

HULL PREPARATION
Hull rubbed down and cleaned with detergent plus a little Astonish.  Masked up props, wheelhouse, then filled access areas with aluminium foil.  Light coat of primer to key surfaces for airbrushing, also to access hatches and major sub assemblies.

However, this has shown up a few minor blemishes which will need to be dealt with before going further.
Any ideas on good ways to manipulate / otherwise rotate and roll a hull for spraying?  Maybe a cake decorating turntable or Lazy Susan ?

bobk

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2012, 09:26:51 pm »

ICKLE BITS
After priming the hull the next stage was preparing masses of die cast or resin ‘ickle bits’ for spraying.  Although the casting quality is very good each part required some cleaning up with rifler files and craft knife.  This does take quite a bit of time, but I am not going to shortcut on finish.  Each piece was then mounted onto card using strips of double sided sticky tape.
One ‘headscratcher’ for someone new to airbrushes was how to retain the part ID’s without spraying them over.  I had thought of writing on the card then photographing the cards, but decided to Pritstick strips of paper alongside the sticky tape so I could write on the card with the paper hopefully protecting the writing.  Some of these cards are shown below, although around 200 parts in all.

Torpedo tube assemblies mounted on a wooden block to make it easier to spray underneath.  The anchors and anchor chain I may hang from thread to get all round.
Loads more fittings to do, but at least I am getting it all mounted in batches per colour to simplify painting.

bobk

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »

Painting:
After some problems with my first attempt at airbrushing I must first thank fellow Mayhemer's for their appreciated advice.  To avoid repeating myself see ...
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34145.msg344307;topicseen#msg344307

Anyway, quick build update:  Hull and most of the individual die cast & resin parts, plus sub assemblies, are painted, but will need further coats.

It is starting to look like a ship rather than white plastic & GRP.  After finishing the painting I can concentrate on railings sets, deck planking, and portholes etc.

bobk

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2012, 02:42:08 pm »

SLOW PROGRESS

A week ago I felt I was on a roll having practiced my first airbrushing, but had been forced into thumb twiddling for most of the time since.  My local model shop ran out of Tamiya XF-19 so I ordered another four online.  Great, they dispatched promptly, but it took Royal Mail five days to deliver the package.

One thing I have found with airbrushes is losing the ability to brush neat paint into hairline joins and blemishes.  Out came the super fine brushes to do some cosmetic filling.  (Purists will gasp in horror.)  Spraying seems to highlight things that looked good before painting.  Live and learn.

Another two coats of Sky Grey on the hull fittings and sub assemblies.  Coverage now looks good, but it has taken 8 pots of Tamiya to reach this point.  A pity they don’t do five gallon drums.

Now I have to wait another week (I assume?) before I can mask up the hull for red lead underside, then perhaps another week before I can remask for the black waterline.  More thumb twiddling !

Harley

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2012, 05:12:02 pm »

Airbrushing is a thing of its own  {-)  Bob you  - just an suggestion. its the way i use to do it - could have sprayed the waterline first. then masked it as it
should be looking when finished.  spray with waterlinecolour again over the maskingtape, to prevent hull and bottomcolours to kreep under the maskingtape
and this way youll have sharp fine lines between the colours. and you save a lot of time and masking  :-))

bobk

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2012, 05:49:34 pm »

Sounds like a good idea Harley, thanks  :-))

Harley

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »

I know I should have told you before you got into brushing the hull.  but I have been
away from this forum due to other "missions" Such as drawing fittingparts for etching  ;)
So I have been studying the plans for my next build the HMS Renown to see wich parts
i might want to etch..  but I have to say I really do like your Amazon   ok2

you might want to have a look at the last updates on my dreadnought:
http://warshipmodelsdk.informe.com/forum/classic-warships-f7/hms-dreadnought-t41.html

the writing is danish. but you can have a look at the pics  :} :}

bobk

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »

Starting to detail

Whilst waiting for the sprayed paint to dry solid enough to accept masking tape I thought I would get on with a little detailing.  First pic is the wheelhouse interior, before fitting the bridge over it.  Well, someone is bound to peer through the clear acrylic windows.  Doors and hand rails also added. 
Wheelhouse measures 20mm fore to aft.
Second picture is the secondary steering position screen to go on the quarterdeck.  Instead of just drilling holes for the windows I fitted 1/8” brass tube, 2mm long, and added support beams.

bobk

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2012, 09:00:41 pm »

Basic hull painting complete

Beginning to look like a warship now.  For the underside I used a Halfords rattle can as this primer was the only decent colour match I could find.  I am surprised neither Humbrol or Tamiya consider ‘red lead’ a colour model ship builders would want.  Despite using top quality masking tape and burnishing down well there was some bleeding underneath plus a distinct paint step left.  Rubbed down and used black Trimline tape for the waterline rather than try to hand brush it.  I used dark green for the anti slip areas as I had seen this colour for similar ships, rather than a dark red / brown.  Personal preference over ‘accuracy’.

All ready to start the deck planking.  This should be fun !

bobk

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2012, 10:59:19 am »

Deck Planking
Made a start on the decking.  Trying to simulate planks roughly 8 inches width and approx 16 ft long, using 2mm x 0.5 thick maple strips, stained by soaking in tea.  Not as easy as it appears !   Each row stepped by half a length, plus getting the joins in three large access hatches to line up.  At this size I ended up using a black felt tip for caulking, rather than black thread as that got adhesive on the top face.  Now starting on the rear deck, with margin planks in first.  I intend to try to joggle / cut in ends of planks to the margin planks as I work outwards from the centre line.   Fresh scalpel blades and a big magnifier lamp.
Never done this before.  Hopefully I will get better with practice.   %%   O0

Harley

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »

{:-{ {:-{ Did´nt know they had wooden decks at all..   :o  Thought the decks were all steeldecks  %)
Anyway the "woodwork" you are doing looks really fine Bob.  This is really going to be a very detailed
"little" Warship  :-))

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2012, 12:37:14 pm »

I intend to try to joggle / cut in ends of planks to the margin planks as I work outwards from the centre line.   Fresh scalpel blades and a big magnifier lamp.
Never done this before.  Hopefully I will get better with practice.

It is just practice. And a steady hand!

Amazon's looking good, Bob!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

bobk

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2012, 01:41:18 pm »

You may be right about all steel decks Harley, but I have no photos showing the actual decks and as many warships before and since had planking I thought I would give it a go.  I love detailing, and pushing my limits !

Thank you Andy.  As with everything else in model making I have found so far iis that learning is all about experience and practice.  When I restart my K Class sub that will require higher challenges.  I am enjoying myself, and picking up much from this forum.

Harley

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2012, 03:23:54 pm »

You ar so absolutely right..  They could have woodden decks as well as all steel.  At least I like wooden decks so much better.
So when we are going to re-do the two tribals, we will follow, and plank them i think  :-)) :-))

I did almost the same as you with the speedmarker, only I used a soft pencil instead.. both the same, your idea will seem more
right i think, as it will turn out more black..   :-)) :-)) :-))

bobk

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2012, 09:35:25 am »

Rear decking ready for sanding.  Cutting in planks to margin planks came out reasonable, plus access hatch joins.  The intent was to make the flanged rebated access panels as invisible as practical.

Two smaller areas on foredecks to do, plus bridge.

steve pickstock

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2012, 10:51:56 am »

The intent was to make the flanged rebated access panels as invisible as practical.

So that's a result then! Lovely job.

bobk

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2012, 04:07:21 pm »

Deck planking done.  Heck there was a lot of it, but glad I gave it a go.
As Andy rightly said “It is just practice. And a steady hand!”. 
It seems to have visually improved as I progressed, with bridge done last   F’o’c’sle shows effect of staining with tea after sanding down, better colouring IMHO.

victorian

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 07:25:41 pm »

Superb piece of work, Bob. Look forward to seeing her in the flesh!

colin-d

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »

me too...  :-))  :-))

bobk

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2012, 06:16:30 pm »

Thank you David & Colin.  Should be a couple more months, not hurrying, but I will definitely be at Dean's Open day (October?) with Amazon and Skirmisher, possibly the K sub too by then.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.