Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Amazon 1906 - Build  (Read 46901 times)

bobk

Re: HMS Amazon 1906 - Build
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2012, 12:19:53 am »

Carrs 188 solder paint is the biz !!!   Remarkable, with this brush-applied to each joint just the briefest touch of a soldered iron makes a joint limited to just the area ‘painted’.  Controllable.  No styrene deck melt.  Impressive.   :-))

However, before this I had a fraught a week trialling numerous methods of assembling 1/96 etched rail sections.  Dry assembled sections twist like DNA and will not free stand even in a drilled hardwood jig.  Spring force in three preformed wires exceeds flat spigot grip in 0.4 mm deck holes.   {:-{

Only one method worked.  Thread the bars onto the rails like a lace necklace, then starting at one end press fit four spigots into the deck with tweezers, then superglue the first three spigots.  When set do the next four, much more than four and it all pops out.  34 angled support bars were fitted and soldered last.  It means I have had to solder and paint all 288 stanchions and rails in situ, but that’s not a problem.  Patience and a steady hand.   O0

Prior to rail painting & fitting of anchors chains and anchor cranes.

Prior to main deck rail painting.

This has been perhaps the most time consuming stage of the build.  I could have made life a lot easier by using the pre-made etched flat rail sections supplied with the kit.  However individual stanchions do make a more realistic job.

Dreadstar

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:01 am »

What a superb job Bob O0 O0 :-)) :-))

Dave13

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2012, 08:04:19 am »

Wow Bob she looks really great  :-)) :-))

bobk

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:04 am »

Thank you.  I should note that the flagstaffs are of slightly chunkier contruction than scale.  This is ship for sailing, and experience over the last months on my cruiser has shown that these tend to be the most vulnerable projections in handling and transport.
Thank you again Geoff for the solder paint tip.  Gold Star advice  :-))

bobk

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »

After painting the deck rails and stanchions last night I thought I'd do a bit more detailing today, this time building up the bridge assembly.  These rails had been built last month using superglue.  I now wish I had had made them up like the deck rails I soldered this week.
Canvas screens added to railings. Rear sides of bridge made up, adding some Plastruct supports.  Anti slip base for bridge controls, using some Mantua fine gauze on ABS base.  Face of searchlight uses a disc of Bacofoil cut using a leather punch and fitted with contact adhesive.  Bridge is 55mm wide.

After glazing the wheelhouse I can fit the bridge wing support pillars, fit it on top, then add the two access companionways.

bobk

« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2012, 03:07:33 pm »

Now I am really enjoying myself, it’s all finally coming together.   %)  ok2  ;)
I just love detailing all the ikkle bits, fine brush painting, and starting to get more of the sub assemblies installed.  I have now completed and fitted the bridge, plus all the surrounding bits that can now be put into place.  Anchor cranes in, plus the remaining companionways with side rails.  Personally I really like seeing multiple levels of companionways, whether on tugs or warships.  No idea why, maybe it just ‘leads’ the eye to travel across the deck levels.

PS:  First photo using my new Fujifilm HS20EXR.  IMO a vast improvement over my cheap pocket compact camera, especially for photographing model boats  :-))

bobk

« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:48 pm »

Ships boats:
Having previously built a set of ships boats from vacuum formings for my cruiser I decided to see how much detail I could add.  These are smaller, just 45 to 85 mm.  Using 10 thou Plasticard I laid deck covers over the inner vacform recesses, then the ribs and deck detail.  Outer hulls scribed to highlight keel line and planking.  Annular top facing boards, inner keel tops, seats and rudders added in 0.5mm styrene, then rowlocks using fine Plastruct ‘H” beams.  Lastly, oars made from brass wire and thin Plasticard. 

Damage Control
From sailing experiences over the last months with my HMS Skirmisher rebuild I have incorporated some practical damage control on areas found to be potentially vulnerable in handling and transport.  Firstly, nothing projects outside the hull profile.  Brass rod/tube masts are fitted in blind brass tube sockets to mitigate possible repairs.  Both flag staffs have been built slightly chunkier than scale using soldered copper tube and brass rod.   Wherever possible, especially in vulnerable positions, epoxy used on fittings. 

Dave13

« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2012, 12:04:59 pm »

Hi Bob
She looks really great your a inspiration to us all !!!  :-)) :-))
Keep it up  :-)
Dave:)

bobk

« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2012, 02:25:07 pm »

Thanks Dave, although I’m new to all this.  Full credit to Mayhem and the many Mayhemers who have given me so much valuable advice.

Ultimate careening.
Can’t do this on a real boat!    Special thanks for advice to use Plasticote interior satin varnish spray.  Zero reaction to acrylic or enamel, and a nice looking protective finish.  Two lightish coats.  Now I can mount the rest of the funnels, masts and deck fittings.  I intend spraying just one coat on the topsides, before adding rigging, boats and crew.

The ships boats photo did not come out well.  This one is from closer, and in daylight.

View of Fo’c’s’le from front.  Anchors and chains mounted.  Ships crest on bridge was from an image on Google, reduced in MS Publisher (so as not to reduce detail) and printed on Kodak photo paper.

The Fjords of Black Park are starting to call.   O0

bobk

Re: HMS Amazon 1906 - Completed !
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:27 pm »

HMS Amazon 1906 - Completed !

Finally, last items of rigging fitted, crew aboard and White Ensign hoisted.  My HMS Amazon build project is completed.   Is it true that when you can thread and fit John R Haynes 1/96 eyebolts you can call yourself a modeller?   If so, I may be getting closer   %%

Extra crew member “Rose” by the “Jack”staff.

My first ship ‘kit’.  I have learned a lot on this journey.  Many thanks  for everyones help and suggestions.  
To complete this build thread I will offer my conclusions from this project, then finish with some photos from the sea trials.
  Hopefully this weekend  O0  :-))

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »

Hope it looks as awsome on the water as it it on here

Dave

Dave13

« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2012, 06:49:56 pm »

Wow Bob
She looks great I hope you have a nice time sailing her at the weekend  :-)) :-))
Dave:)

raflaunches

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2012, 08:16:56 pm »

Hi Bobk

Is that a reference to the film Titanic? ok2

Brilliant model you've got there Bob, hope it sails well, might want to remove Rose just incase, too many references to bad luck!
A woman on board and from a film about a ship that sank! You might be asking for trouble  %)
Seriously, it ticks all the correct boxes, it looks good so it will sail good.

Nick B

bobk

« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2012, 09:01:31 pm »

Thank you all.   
Nick B:  "Is that a reference to the film Titanic?"  That was a reference to another thread, '1/96 scale figures', in which I found an additional cast figure in the box of RN Marine Figures got for my destroyer.
See http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35204.0  for story, there were various options  :embarrassed:
Also; with all my litho plate rivets, one is painted Gold !

bobk

Re: HMS Amazon 1906 - Conclusions & Summary
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2012, 12:22:40 am »

Conclusions & Build Summary

Before final sea trials in completed trim, which will officially conclude this build, I’d like to share my thoughts and offer some conclusions.
Please remember I only got back into models last year, having scratch built static non ships in my teens. 
My first ship kit, this build took just over four months, mostly evenings.

This ‘kit’ has proved excellent value, less than 50p per hour in enjoyment, although I have spent much more in going beyond Deans build intent.  For anyone considering building one as per the instructions it is an excellent starter project, with ample scope to customise and provide extra challenges.  Good full size plan with colour photos, well detailed instructions, cast & resin fittings good quality needing minimal cosmetic finishing.  The decks and superstructure are printed plastic, not CNC cut, so measure carefully before cutting.  Only a few adjustments were needed.

Some (maybe obvious) tips from an almost newbie:  
  • Start by reading everything at least twice;
  • Don’t get anything out of the box until it’s needed; 
  • Work out a detail stage plan, and think several stages ahead; 
  • Make up sub assemblies wherever possible; 
  • With the flexibility of GRP hull sides make sure you fit plenty of under-deck support beams of exactly the right size to ensure the decks fit well.
Patience and planning. 
Also, if you’re going to expend this much time and devotion into building a model, don’t go ‘cheap’ on running gear and electrics.  ha'porth of tar ?

My additions to spec included twin motors and shafts, improved rudder, going overboard on anti-slip, litho and other detailing, individual deck planking, portholes, and single stanchions rather than the etched flat rail sections supplied.  I hope this build shows what can be created from a ‘kit’ costing less than two hundred, plus the cost of my additions.

Things that hurt my brain along the way were diversions of my own making.  My first brush with airbrushes, planking, glazed portholes, and the stanchions.  However, nothing ventured, nothing learned.  Yes, I can see many things I could have made better, which will be on my next build after experience gained.  I hope my photo log will encourage others to test their limits.  You may be surprised and pleased with the result.

Thank you to all who have given advice and tips during this project. 
Special credits to suppliers Deans Marine, John R Haynes, and Mantua Models (just down the road).

Batteries charged.  Departing fitting out basin (bath test), course set for Black Park Lake.  ETA this weekend.

pugwash

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2012, 05:13:58 am »

Well I hope sea trials go well Bob as she looks very nice and a pleasant change from all the modern warwhips like wot I make

Geoff

barryfoote

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:03 am »

Best of luck with the sea trials Bob. She looks great.. :-))

bobk

Re: HMS Amazon - Launching Conventions?
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2012, 10:48:41 am »

Launching Conventions?
Being my first-built ship I am unsure as to what the conventions and etiquette are for launching.  When mentioning my first sea trials this Sunday several people have asked “what about the Champagne?”.  Is there supposed to be a ceremony involved, even with a model?

Not wishing to tempt fate I tried everywhere to get a box of bottle shaped liqueur chocolates, without success.  Too late to order online.  So, last night I decided to make a super magnum from 1/8” acrylic rod.  She will be launched by Rose, already at the bow rail (see photo)

Thanks for the good wishes guys !

bobk

Re: HMS Amazon 1906 - Sea Trials at Black Park
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2012, 02:48:13 pm »

HMS Amazon 1906  -  Sea Trials at Black Park

Sea Trials of my HMS Amazon concludes this build sequence.  A beautiful warm sunny morning at Black Park Lake.  Pre-flight checks done, a micro Champagne bottle launching ceremony, then lowered into the water.  Two points helm and slow ahead all.  The transition from a workshop project to a working vessel is delightful.

Twin Raboesch motors.  The ACTION P94 is an excellent combined mixer with twin ESC’s, and so easy to set up.  The 6V NiCad pack runs all morning and the sea-keeping qualities are superb for a 900mm ship of only 89mm beam.  Turns on a sixpence with very little roll as can be seen on the YouTube clip (below), and with a realistic wake at a scale 33 kts. 

Everything works nicely.  No water ingress from shafts or numerous glazed portholes.
I am well pleased. 

HMS Amazon underway at a scale 33 kts

A perfect sailing day at Black Park

On full helm, showing how well the Action P94 can turn this long slim ship.  (sse video clip)

No Oscar nominations for my first ever attempt at making a short You Tube movie. 
YouTube Movie:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cl_HNu06WY
Thank you to fellow club member Frank for taking the helm whilst I became Key Grip.

Bob K

colin-d

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2012, 06:03:15 pm »

very nice, job done very well  :-))  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2012, 03:20:28 pm »

Smashing job there, Bob.  What a turning circle eh.  :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.