Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which yacht....  (Read 3368 times)

Matt.H

which yacht....
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:55:31 pm »

Hello
for my next model boat i would love to build a yacht. to models have stuck out for me the Graupner Micro Magic Racing and the robbe comtesse, does any one have any information on this model and which one would you recommend??
thanks matt

knoby

Re: which yacht....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:12:57 pm »

I had only seen pictures of the micro magic until 2 weekends ago, & was surprised just how small it actually was in real. I was offered a sail of it & have to say i was totally shocked by just how good it was. I was at the lake with my marblehead & it was struggling with the strong winds, but the micro magic was loving the conditions, more than once overtaking my marblehead  :embarrassed:
 I don't know anything about the comtesse, but have seen a few on the lake & they look good & seem to sail OK.

Glenn

walrus

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »

If you really want to build a good model yacht I suggest thet you look at the RG65 or the Mini Mumm.
Plans for both of .these are available from Marine Modelling International. Those you have mentioned are what I would can ready to run and do not require much modelling skill. :-) :-)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:11:24 pm »

Matt
Go to the Yachts and Sail menu and select "Advice needed for a potential novice Yacht addict". You will find some helpful information there. (rather than re-post it all again here)
Windchaser

tony23

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:08:47 pm »

I would not really recommend a Micro Magic it's a very small boat and unless sailed in very calm waters it will bob along in the water more than sail like a true sailing yacht. Your best looking at something about 800 to 1 metre in boat length for a nice sailing ship.  :-)

pettyofficernick

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:07:31 am »

I have a Graupner True Blue, 1M long, sails well and is very reasonably priced. Avery complete kie, even comes with adhesives, only 2ch radio and 3 servos needed. :-) :-) :-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:41:07 am »

Big boats generally sail better, but not always.

The MicroMagic is I believe like the Victoria in size and performance, although the MM may have it on speed. My Vic would sail in winds and waters that my Monsoon 900 could not cope with.

The Comtesse is more of a modeling exercise. It also looks more like a real boat. It is not so straight forward to build and will probably not sail as well as the MicroMagic. But it will look much better.
The MicroMagic does have a sailing class and they do race, and you may get the bug. The smaller boats are also easier to throw in the car.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Ben Tickle

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:31:22 am »

I have a Graupner Micro Magic racing, and i think it is an excellent boat. It sails on all water types rough or calm. You can get the Micro Magic built from rcyachts.org.uk

Cheers

ben ok2

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 08:32:12 pm »

Micro Magic = 21" or about 535 mm
Victoria = 30.7"(779mm)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »

There are a number of good boats out there - If you are interested there are some good pictures and details on the comtesse kit on this forum at http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18857.msg182563;topicseen#msg182563

I have not owned a Robbe Comtesse, but have watched some videos on Youtube - from those videos it appears to be a proper sailor. The post referenced above suggested the kit requires some modest hobbying skills to complete as will the Mirco Magic. I was very surprised at the poor fit of the deck and hull pieces on my Mirco Magic kits -

Frankly, for the money they charge, they should be ashamed of this aspect of their product. Once I got the darned things put together and was able to sail the boats,  I forgot about the sloppy molding tolerances and realized these boats are really amazing sailors, well beyond their small stature - I now understand why they are so popular.

The Victoria is a much better kit to assemble - Martin has just completed a build report on one - I have owned both the MM and Victoria - both boats are fun to sail and race. I would give higher marks to the MM in overall performance.

In closing, I perfer boats that sail well and look good at the same time. I lean toward more scale and detailed boats and avoid what I refer to as the "pool toy" look. It is all relative to one's taste. The search tool on this forum can help you find posts on the various boats under consideration - a little reserach goes a long way to making the right choice for yourself. I know you will enjoy whatever boat you choice.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 22 queries.