Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Italeri Schnellboot accesories  (Read 40923 times)

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Italeri Schnellboot accesories
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 06:41:21 pm »

Back on track at last. As I can't get any mines or depth charges (out of stock) :((  I will be filling the stern area with nautical paraphanalia instead!

Gregg

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:24 pm »

The missing picture hopefully of the rivet replacement

Gregg
Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24:46 pm »

Having had the brushes and sponges out again, now putting main assemblies together!

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »

latest mods include temporary fit of motor module, taken mould for life jackets and remove boots from crews legs!

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 05:27:38 pm »

Crew limb and head mods under constuction (decapitated and amputated) to position differently from the normal behind guns etc. Figures are a first for me so unsure how they will turn out!

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 09:47:29 pm »

AFV modified figures finally coming together as a naval crew, not yet finished but reasonably happy so far!

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:42 pm »

Some more crew mates in production!

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 12:55:55 pm »

Having now decided to incorporate the Luursen Efekt in my build, I built a mock-up on my building board to chek out angles/linkage lengths etc.  Surprise surprise it actually worked so here a pics of my attempts and finished product.

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 11:30:40 am »

Just a little work carried out this week, a little more weathering and new locker/cabinet doors fitted.  Torps and tubes painted, brass railings fitted etc. A coat of future to seal before clear matt!

Age is but a number!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »

For us who don't know, could you please explain the Luursen effect, shown in your photos.

Thank you

Gunna build those other boats one day.

cdsc123

« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »

I quote from Harald Foch's Fast Fighting Boats;
..."is based on the flow structure in the vicinity of the propellers and behind them. By swinging out the aerofoil shaped side rudders to about 30 degrees a sudden flow breaking takes place inside the wake, and an air-filled hollow space is caused so that direction and acceleration of the water as well as the stern trimming is markedly influenced.
The following three effects are caused;
1.The rpm is lowered by some revolutions, or the power rises at constant revolutions, as a cause of the retained wake. The propeller efficiency is improved and the speed up-raised by about one knot.
2. The stern wave lifted at about 27m behind the ship is flattened and the other waves lowered remarkably.
3. The stern trim of about 2 1/2 degrees at maximum speed is removed so that the boat runs nearly horizontal.

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2013, 09:25:21 pm »

Basically it is about keeping the Hull horizontal and increasing the speed by a few knots.
This is an excerpt from a technical journal on the Schnellboot!
Experimentation with S-1 and the intial batch of five additional boats led to immediate  improvements and innovations.  For example, beginning with S-7 (1933) the increased reserve buoyancy of a knuckle added at the bow prevented the boat from nosing into waves in foul weather. Another key innovation was the addition of a special rudder arrangement beginning with S-2 (1932).  Port and starboard of the main rudder were two smaller rudders  which could be angled outboard to 30 degrees.  Known as the "Luerssen Effekt," at high speed,  the angled rudders drew a ventilation air pocket slightly behind the three propellors,  increasing their effiency, reducing the stern wave and keeping the boat at a nearly  horizontal attitude.   A wedge was added to the lower stern beginning with S-18 (1938). This deflected the water flow slightly downwards, counteracting any tendency for the hull to  settle into the water as speed increased.

Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 09:27:31 pm »

..."is based on the flow structure in the vicinity of the propellers and behind them. By swinging out the aerofoil shaped side rudders to about 30 degrees a sudden flow breaking takes place inside the wake, and an air-filled hollow space is caused so that direction and acceleration of the water as well as the stern trimming is markedly influenced.
1.The rpm is lowered by some revolutions, or the power rises at constant revolutions, as a cause of the retained wake. The propeller efficiency is improved and the speed up-raised by about one knot.
2. The stern wave lifted at about 27m behind the ship is flattened and the other waves lowered remarkably.
3. The stern trim of about 2 1/2 degrees at maximum speed is removed so that the boat runs nearly horizontal.

I like your description better Christian! lol
Gregg
Age is but a number!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »

No wonder they were succesful boats you wonder how we won the war against such technology, for that era

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 10:05:02 pm »

Basically it is about keeping the Hull horizontal and increasing the speed by a few knots.
This is an excerpt from a technical journal on the Schnellboot!
Experimentation with S-1 and the initial batch of five additional boats led to immediate  improvements and innovations.  For example, beginning with S-7 (1933) the increased reserve buoyancy of a knuckle added at the bow prevented the boat from nosing into waves in foul weather. Another key innovation was the addition of a special rudder arrangement beginning with S-2 (1932).  Port and starboard of the main rudder were two smaller rudders  which could be angled outboard to 30 degrees.  Known as the "Luerssen Effekt," at high speed,  the angled rudders drew a ventilation air pocket slightly behind the three propellors,  increasing their efficiency, reducing the stern wave and keeping the boat at a nearly  horizontal attitude.   A wedge was added to the lower stern beginning with S-18 (1938). This deflected the water flow slightly downwards, counteracting any tendency for the hull to  settle into the water as speed increased.

Thank you, will have to now digest your photos to understand the setup.
Thanks again to all  :-)) :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »

I don't understand the red line linkage between the inboard servo arm and the outer servo body.............. :o .......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29:10 pm »

The linkage you mention is attached to the sliding servo box (outer servo) which slides forwards & backwards.
This physically moves that servo fore & aft!  Depending on the angle of the (outer servo) arms determines the angle of the rudders!

Age is but a number!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2013, 01:35:56 am »

Thanks ojays........ O0  ...I understand now..... I have not seen this concept used in model RC.......very ingenious.......
1. do you use a servo slow down on the inboard servo?
2. does the function [improved performance in the real vessel] carry over to the scale model? .......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42:54 am »

If you omit the central rudder connection from the "Front" servo, you have the setup that one version of the Vee tail mixers we've been using in toy aeros for years.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »

I can't take the credit for the design, as I saw a similar set up in metal on another site!
As to whether it works, time will tell.  I have seen a Boot on You-Tube and it appears to work at high speed.
The steering/speed etc will be controlled through some electrical gizmo's I bought from 'The Component Store' (previously Action Electronics)
As to the V-tail mixer, I often used these in my R/C planes.  However I liked the challenge of constructing this, and making it work!

Age is but a number!

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2013, 01:06:19 am »

'The Component Store' = http://www.componentshop.co.uk/ , right?

Sorry, I'm new here.

Tom

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »

'The Component Store' = http://www.componentshop.co.uk/ , right?

Sorry, I'm new here.

Tom

Thanks for correcting that Tom, their service is brilliant.  I received my goodies the day after ordering!
Gregg

Age is but a number!

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2013, 03:26:49 am »

'Service is brilliant!'

Yes, it, looks brilliant from my perspective, too!

Ordered the Traplet Pilot Boat Plans and 'Woodcut' set today. Checked out Component Shop, and look forward to ordering items from Component Shop! Really love the links to the ACTion Electronics .pdf files.

Tom
io the

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »

For all you Booters out there who are after EMC Mines for your build, they are available form the original moulder Robin (ex-cammett) now of his new venture www.scalewarship.com  :-)       
The carriage is of a slightly different type to the original, but I'm sure the quality will still be as good.  He is also thinking of producing a set of the Conical Magnetic mines in the same scale.  :-)
To view the EMC go to . www.scalewarship.com/store/index
Gregg
Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »

Yet another set has just popped up, available at the end of the month apparently. :-)
A set of 4 injection moulded similar to the original cammett product. www.facebook.com/AFVCLUB.TW

Seems Christmas has come early for us Booters! :-))

Gregg
Age is but a number!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 22 queries.