Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Norden hull planking. New to modeling  (Read 11283 times)

steveuklad1

Help Norden hull planking. New to modeling
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »

Hello. I wonder if you could help. I'm new to modelling and I have the static Norden 603  model boat. I have reached the the planking stage for the hull and I don't know what to do as the instructions are not to clear and there is a top edging strip that looks like it has to be bent round the ribs at the top that I have in one place, but this edging strip is very solid and will not bend and I'm not sure how I should do this and exactly where it should be placed? Also I don't have as much venire strips as the book says I should have (qty 50). I also have about 70 strips of wood all cut the same length and sized, can you help with what these are.
Thanks. Steve.
Ps if you can help you can contact me here on the forum or via skype user name ******* or email ************ removed as members can contact you via your profile

Please do not put your personal emails on open forum. It leads to Spam Bots finding them
Also it would help members if you put you location into your Profile please.

****  Moderator ****

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Re: Help Norden hull planking. New to modeling
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:45 am »

I built the Norden about 6 years ago, I did take some photo's including some when planking the hull, as you say the instructions are fairly basic, there is a web page with more detailed building hints and tips somewhere on the Billing website, I'll try to find it.

As you are new to this what tools have you collected so far...also what type of glue are you using?

I'll see if I can find some of my photo's and post them here..if I can find them. I stored them on CD so might take some finding!

Don't forget to put your town or city/country on your profile as others near to you can suggest shops clubs etc, just an idea where you are located is enough.

Back later on today...

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

steveuklad1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:54:15 am »

Hi JB thanks for getting back to me and your offer of help and support is really appreciated. The glue I'm using is just standard wood glue that I got from Cornwall Model Boats when I ordered the model. Do you have a recommendation here for glue? I've updated my location detail's as you advised me too. The tools I'm using are, small hammer, modeling knife, fine sand paper and Stanley knife.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 06:04:44 pm »

Hi Steve, ok here's a photo of the Norden part way through my efforts at planking the hull, a few clues how I went about it, I think as its the first time you have attempted to do this it might be a good idea to practice with some similar wood strips and shaped dummy frames first, don't try to bend the planks straight out of the box, they do need to be flexible to follow the curves of the bow and stern.

The planks need soaking in hot water or steamed first and 'trained'...! to bend without snapping, I used Aliphatic Resin glue, it sands easier and is quicker to hold the wood than ordinary white glue so you might want to think about using it instead of ordinary PVA.

Hope this helps to start you off...back in a while...

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

steveuklad1

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:07:04 am »

Hi JB Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for the reply and the picture as thats is very helpful. And your notes are very helpful too.

I need a little more held and I've taken some pictures.

Photo 1 shows some strips of wood that I have and there are about 60 of these. Are these for the hull for planking?

Photo 2 shows veiner strips and I have about 40 of these are these for the deck?

Photo 3 shows another wider strip and I have 2 of these and I assume these are for the top part of the hull and when in place I start my planking down from there?

Thanks again

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:56:06 pm »

Don't worry about replying quick, I see you post AM and I'm usually PM, gives me a chance to have a think and collect what photo's I can find on the CD's, found a few...some still missing but I must have them somewhere here.

I still have the building instructions/drawings/box and the model.
OK, should be 50 strips 1x3x450mm for the hull planking..I think the wood is obechi be not sure about that, you are also correct for the other pieces...deck planks and the 2 wide strips for the top of hull which are parts number 12 in the instructions.

I think I started part way down the hull with the first plank..or did I..can't remember!!... number 13 (there are 4 No' 13's on the drawing) so around the waterline area, each plank needs to rest on the frames with as much contact as possible for gluing and to follow the shape of the hull, so...! you have "bevel" the frame...sandpaper on a block here, just using the paper with your fingers is not the best way so some kind of hard rubber or wood block is needed, use this method when sanding the hull too.

Don't forget to soak the ends of the planks first, about 1/3 of the plank in the water or you could use a tray to soak the full length, the idea is to make the wood amenable to bending without snapping,  I used hot water in a flask and stood 4 in at a time (as the hull is in 2 parts I had both halves going at once) and then bent them around a jar or similar held with tape and let them dry, they will be much easier to bend to the hull shape then, I also used a razor plane to chamfer the planks to butt up against its mate, you could use your paper and block too, I like planing the wood and the shavings can be used later to fill in any gaps between the planks...yes there will be gaps and you will find wedges or "stealer's" will be needed to fill in some of the larger gaps, enough for you to study for now I think!

Here's a photo showing the planks at the bow, I didn't pin through the wood, used pins to hold them in place while the glue dried, I also fitted only 2 at time and allowed to dry before moving to the next plank.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:25:48 pm »

Hi Steve

Think these pictures of a friends Norden might help.

Most number of strips [60] should be planking.

Least number of strips [40] should be decking

More strips in planking than on deck.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:15:45 pm »

Hey Richard..where did you find that pic of the half built Norden?...I can take another photo today with that wallpaper..and the radiator is still there too...likewise the tin of Rustin's wood stain, I did an online build in 2005...can't remember which site now...there were some photo's I posted of the finished hull unpainted which I can't find now... %%

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »

I was going to edit the above post but too late!

A new photo of the Norden taken today, glue stains on the stand are still there...tried to stain them but it always comes through again after a while!

P.S. can you see that little bulge on the hull...? missed that until I painted the blue...never mind too late now :D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:49:08 pm »

Hi jb dont know where or when I  got the photo, I thought it was one of my mates boats. {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:28:14 pm »

Hi jb dont know where or when I  got the photo, I thought it was one of my mates boats. {:-{

Nope defiantly mine! No problem at all though...I was pleased to see it again as I've lost quite a few of the ones I took at the time, nearly fell off my chair when I saw it O0 {-)

I had a full set of photo's from start to finish which were on an old laptop, found some but you probably have the same trouble...lots missing now!

Hope you are OK.

JB.

steveuklad1

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

JB how did you get this raised rim effect on the hull as in the picture I've pointed out?

Have you just mounted two planks on eachother and sanded to shape?

In my model kit there is no specific plank to give this raised rim.

Thanks again in advance

Steve  :-))

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 09:54:06 pm »

Hi Steve, you should have 2 pieces of 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 450mm pine in the kit, parts number 19 "rubbing strakes", they are not shown on the drawing of the hull but are in the instruction book... Fig.4. I know its not clear especially if you haven't made one of these kits before, the Billing star rating for the kit is '1'  a beginner...it is a little misleading as planking a hull like this needs some prior knowledge of the construction techniques, its not straightforward!

The rubbing strakes are glued on after the planking is finished, I took some time over this to make sure they were equal on both sides, in fact if I remember I wasn't happy with my first attempt so removed them and bought so more strips from a local craft shop, they stocked the various woods for building these boats and also had a good range of tools and also kits of Billing boats and other makes.

I will say I hadn't built this type of hull before but I have lots of practice building r/c aircraft in wood so it wasn't new to me really..how's it going anyway? 

steveuklad1

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 09:56:56 pm »

JB previously asked you how you got that raised rim effect on the hull as in the picture I've pointed out, in the istructions it shows it as being part 19 as in this picture in the post. I cant find the part at all  <:(

Also on the front of the boat it shows part 42 and i cant find that eeither {:-{

I'm not really that impressed, the instructions are really basic, but I know there is alot of basic know how required I think any advise on the above?

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:05:10 pm »

Yes they are basic I agree ! if you cant find 42 then I hope its not a bad kit...that part is a fair piece of ready shaped wood...I assume the box had its plastic wrapping still on?
Edit..!
I need to correct what I said about part 42...those are cut from 1.8 x 3 x 450mm strip, I was thinking of the rails, parts 17.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:35:56 am »

Steve I've sent you a PM.

JB.

Joe F

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 07:09:35 pm »

I just bought this boat and I an new to this, but I will find this as a great help.

Thanks

Joe F

Malta Europe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.