Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antenna in brass tube mast that has light wiring in it too.  (Read 3297 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Antenna in brass tube mast that has light wiring in it too.
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:40:19 am »

I have made a brass tubular mast for my Smit Nederland fitted with mast lighting (7 lights ) & a strobe at the top, my question is this, can I also run my radio antenna up through the mast or would this cause me interference problems. My radio is the Futaba f 14 with the fp-r118f RX. Where would it be best to install the antenna ??. Mick B.
Mick B.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Antenna in brass tube mast that has light wiring in it too.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:16:28 am »

Interference wouldn't be a problem as the lighting uses D-C voltage.

cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 12:00:26 pm »

You forget that the brass tube will absorb the RF before it can reach the antenna, reducing range to near zero. The best way is to run the antenna away from metal, It can be disguised as rigging such as a flag halyard.

Cheers
Nick

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:05:23 pm »

I have never run my antennas anywhere other than round the inside of the hull on the side of the coaming. No problems.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:32:40 pm »

Your TV co-axial cable has a centre wire that carries the signal from the aerial. and a metal layer to stop unwanted signal getting in.  Just like an aerial wire up a brass tube, only since there will be no tuned length of aerial wire poking out of the end, the wanted signal will be kept out as well.
Nick's and Dicky's suggestions are good.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:38 pm »

Thank you guys, I knew someone had the answer, Thats a neat install you have there DickyD, I am sure Dave at ACTion will approve. I am a total novice at all of this but have not had this much fun in a long time & had nothing but great help from forum members, take a pat on the back from me. As an aside if any of you are ever planning a holiday in Canada just ask me I can help you a lot. ( For western Canada that is, as that is where I live)  I know my part of the world here inside out, so don't be afraid to ask, I would be very happy to help.( July & August are the best months in Summer.) Of course if you want to ski anytime in winter will do, but you take your chances with the weather ( Feb/ March are safest months) You could spend a lifetime around here & never see it all.( Canada is a vast country) Mick B.
Mick B.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »

Perhaps you could put your Town into your Profile as well as canada, then we could look up the tourist brochures.   {-)

ken

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 11:29:57 pm »

I live in the city of Calgary, 55 miles east of the Rocky mountains in the province of Alberta. Look up Banff National Park, Waterton National Park, Jasper National park, Yoho National Park, Dinasour Provincial Park (this where they have found & are still finding dinosaur bones, it also has a beautiful modern museum right in the park) Kananaskis Country, it has the highest pass in Canada at 7250 ft above sea level. Peter Lougheed Provincial park, they are all easy driving distance from my house. Don't let the distances fool you, we generally can drive  & cover 65 miles in an hour, hour after hour, so the Rockies are only 55 minutes away. We are at an evelation of 3500 ft above sea level. Calgary is a modern city of some 1.2 million people & over 500 sq. miles in area. The airport is only 15 minutes from our house(15 KM) We drive on the left though you would not think so most times, it is my opinion that we have the worlds worst drivers. When it snows for the first time each fall we manage approx 175 accidents in a few hours, just crazy to watch. Feel free to ask anything you may want to know, I will be happy to tell you. Mick B.
Mick B.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:31:15 am »

And here I thought the worst drivers were in Toronto. A breath of snow and they're all into each other.
Welcome aboard

John

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:55 am »

Thanks John, no Calgary wins hands down. By the way I like your level of build on your tug, terrific workmanship.Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:09:43 am »

Hi tug--Kenny, did you look up all those places I sent you ?. Here are three more, Lake Louise, Lake o'Hara & Emerald lake. Lake o'Hara is possibly the most beautiful place in the Canadian Rockies, so much so that it has limited access, it is like going to heaven without dying. Also look up Elisabeth Parker hut, beautiful place to stay at Lake o'Hara. Mick B.
Mick B.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 12:06:24 pm »

Hiya Mick,

It all sounds lovely. I might go there one day. I lived in Ontario for two years, back in 1964 when I emigrated. I returned to England to get married and found out my wife wouldn't go on a boat or aeroplane ever !  so that scuppered further travelling.   <:(

ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.