Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal navy BH7  (Read 23091 times)

hover tim

Royal navy BH7
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »

Hi Guys

I have started a new model its a 1/16th scale BH7 so its going to be big but bigger is better today i made some headway on the beuancy tanks this needs a skin of ply on top there is a 6mm sheet of ply towards the rear this will be held on by captive nuts and a large brushless out runner will be put in the on with a centrifugal fan over the motor.not much to see at the moment though i will keeep the builg log going though 

mikearace

Re: Royal navy BH7
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »

God were BH&'s noisy.  Used to work in the Captains Office at Daedalus next to the main gate.  You could hear those things when they started off in the Hovercraft Unit hundreds of yards away.  And feel the wind off them.   

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:01:53 am »

I assume you have photographed the Hovercraft Museums BH7 to the Nth degree and have all their drawings? I also have something of a soft spot for the old BH7 and plan one as a future project at some time. Will you be steering via the motor? If so, have you figured out how to mount the pylon strongly enough to avoid any embarrassing mechanical failiures?
Good luck with the project :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

hover tim

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:21:38 pm »

yes i have taken some photos of the museums BH7 as for plans i have got a small scale version that did not work too well so i am scaling the structure up and i have redrawn the super structure as for the pylon i am yet to think of a way to do that but it will be steared for the motor just like the real thing 

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:23:24 pm »

The good news is, I have no idea how to build that part light enough yet strong enough either!

hover tim

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:52 pm »

A friend of mine is dong the same scale as per the IIN craft so i am sure he will help i was looking about today and i came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YAILii_Ck

hover tim

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:54:32 pm »

more work has been done over the weekend i have skinned the top of the beuancy tanks and sinned the sides i have made the two rear bulkheads and put of the cabin wall

hover tim

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 09:35:07 pm »

more done today she looking more hover like now the side decks were put on today with the rear and remaing sides to do

hover tim

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 05:20:27 pm »

its been while since my last update more work has been done over the last few weekends i have done all the side decks and added supporting frames for the rear cabin

hover tim

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »

had a few weeks off but i got back on the model and this is the current progress the plylong and box are made from 4mm lite ply cut on a milling machine there is a large brass rod that runs through the pylon this slides onto the next size down and allows the pylon to move then theres a further section of fixed brass tube in the box the whole unit will be held on by captive nuts to allow the box to be removed to gain access to the fan

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 06:05:34 pm »

Looking good so far. Nice, tidy build. The support for the pylon looks like it should be up to the job!

hover tim

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 07:56:46 pm »

thanks for the comments i think the pylon support should be ok its a nice chunk of balsa with a lot of glue on it i wiil also drill a hole and get some nylon nuts and bolts and make sure it will not move still loads to do though

hover tim

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »

ha chance to do quite a bit on the model today but i have run out of pins so i will have to wait until the glue is dry

hover tim

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 08:31:54 pm »

forgot the pic  %)

hover tim

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 03:37:19 pm »

ahh the joys of Xmas lots of time for model building, So i have now made the bow door and the removable roof section this is to allow access to batteries etc the bow door Will operate on a servo which i will slow down on my TX the rear of the cabin has also been skinned

triumphjon

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 10:06:59 pm »

its taking shape very well  , i hope you have plenty of building supplies for the xmas break ! jon

hover tim

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »

well i maganged to get the bow door working today on a servo next i need to made the bow ramp and yes i have got enough to get me through the Xmas break

ben hall

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 09:19:11 pm »

looks like it will be a good fun hover

hover tim

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »

Well more has been done over the past few days i made covered the majority apart from the front tow corners as i need some blue foam an i am not sure where to get it from i have made the bow ramp and i have started on the pilots cabin

steve pickstock

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 05:58:19 pm »

try these guys - give them a ring

http://www.sheffins.co.uk/contact.asp

Patrick Henry

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 06:18:22 pm »

I've got loads of blue foam if you need any...pm me if so.

Rich

hover tim

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »

does anyone know what the propper name for blue foam is and Rich Many thanks for you offer i will look into sheffins and see what they do as i would like to use more of this  so i will need to find a supplier thanks

Tim

ben hall

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »

whats so special about blue foam ?

hover tim

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »

its a light foam that can be cut and sanded to a smooth finnish ideal for large blocks of carving

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 10:50:10 pm »

dow floormate or roofmate. same stuff different end shape. used to work for sheffield insulations. not many branches hold much stock but at least my local one has old stock going cheap.

phil

does anyone know what the propper name for blue foam is and Rich Many thanks for you offer i will look into sheffins and see what they do as i would like to use more of this  so i will need to find a supplier thanks

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.