Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laser Model Yacht – a novice taking the plunge!  (Read 3343 times)

Craig Dickson

Laser Model Yacht – a novice taking the plunge!
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:04:52 pm »

Hi Folks
Thanks to the advice from many of you in my previous topic I took the plunge and got my first Yacht.
I opted for the Laser Class model yacht as my first experience in this field.
In the event I bought a used model paying similar money to what a new one would have cost.
I was not at all disappointed because the boat I got was in perfect condition restrung with 90lb
dyneema, and upgraded to 2.4 gig radio. It also came re-proofed for water tightness with the radio compartment (an aspect that is critical for me with an IC powered boating back ground).
Its maiden voyage took place this Sunday and boy  was I nervous because the first lake had very little recovery access should I get into trouble being a total novice to wind powered vessels!  And the wind was quite gusty.
My twin brother, and my 72 year old dad each enjoyed a go at the controls.  Best of all at the end of the day I got the boat back in one piece and it was a really enjoyable experience. The radio compartment remained totally dry which was comforting to know.
I will try and include some links to some short video clips taken on the day. Sound needs to be turned up! My identical twin has a dry sense of humour on his voice over!
Cheers
Craig

Craig Dickson

Re: Laser Model Yacht – a novice taking the plunge!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »

First clip shows my identical twin as skipper....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ptp80WdgbA

Second clip shows me on a smaller more sheltered lake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-HqDW9aQE

My dad at the controls nearly in the reeds..... (need your volume up for this one!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7BEf_npHJI

Boat recovered...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5r80Y77udY

:-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:11:52 am »

Welcome to the wonderful world of sail.  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Craig Dickson

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:20:25 pm »

Thank you Tigertiger!

The one thing I did learn was that although the Laser yacht is a very forgiving boat on the water (with wind guite gusty at times) it will take me many hours of practice to learn how to master it and get it performing at its full potential.

I can't wait for its next outing!

Cheers
Craig

Lothar

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13:49 pm »

Hey Craig,

welcome to model sailing. You will find out, that this one of the most relaxing things You can do with models.

You have a great lake with very good wind conditions. Try to find someone nearby and sail together. That's fun!

Regards

Lothar

sunworksco

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:45:43 pm »

Craig,
Congratulations to the Laser sailing class! These are well constructed boats and can be delivered to the lake in the provided Dacron bag and even over your shoulder while riding a bike.
I used to sail the Laser II full-scale boat and have just bought my son the same boat as yours. We haven't even put her in the lake, yet.
We are going to join the San Francisco Model Yacht Club, soon.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »

Well done Craig
Not too far away on Cleethorpes Boating Lake we have a few Lasers from time to time
You would be very welcome Wed or Sun 12 noon until about 3

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Craig Dickson

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »

Hi Guys
Thank you for your further very encouraging comments, much appreciated.
Tomorrow will be its second outing. I’ll be taking it up to our UK Bridlington club lake together with two of my IC powered boats. The thing is we normally operate power on the hour meaning that at half past the hour our IC boats come off the lake and it is over to scale and yachts for the next half hour session.

It will be nice to have my power buddies waiting for their next run while I get my Laser on the water! ;)

Wind is forecast at 18mph with 38mph gusts (though the lake is quite sheltered) but it should be good fun.
Cheers
Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.