Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAGIC SMOKE ALL THE WAY FROM HONG KONG  (Read 11834 times)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chineas 120A???? ESC
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 05:11:21 pm »

...what is the difference between English amps and Chinese ones?

It's like the difference between real time and Microsoft time.....you know, the one they show on progress bars.  {-)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »

Many thanks ACTion, btw, what is the difference between English amps and Chinese ones?
Many thanks,
Nick
Can,t wait for your comparative answer on that one Dave.

john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 05:19:52 pm »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:11 pm »

When a complete newbie I was recommended/sold a blue chinese esc by a local model shop  -  so it's not just an internet thing.
Fortunately I approached a proper boat modeller (about a problem I was having with a servo) and he warned me about the esc I had.
As he said 'all that work you'll put in to build / refurbish the boat and then you willingly put a match to it'.

Shouldn't it be a trading standards issue? Goods not fit for purpose / not as desribed / dangerous to children.

Dave

ACTion

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »

We think that the Chinese manufacturers quote peak/surge current values while we Brit manufacturers tend to quote maximum continuous current handling capability. You should choose your ESC on the basis of the latter - the former has little practical meaning.
I have said elsewhere that it would be almost impossible to pass 110A continuously through a speed controller with that paucity of cooling and such thin cable. At 12v that would be 1320 watts, or more than a one-bar electric fire. Just check out the thickness of your average domestic cooker cable - yep - it's 6 sq.mm, and that is for a maximum of 30A.
Apart from fast electrics (which is a euphemism for ritual abuse involving motor, batteries and speed controller) you should not need anything rated more than 30A for "normal" modelling applications - not even with a noisy, hungry old beast like an 850.
If you need another opinion look no further than John Elsy's cautionary tale.
Ref Trading Standards, who's going to bother them - and do you think they will be bothered - for a five quid speed controller? Any serious issue they might have would be with the manufacturer, and these things are made in deepest darkest China.
Dave M

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MAGIC SMOKE ALL THE WAY FROM HONG KONG
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 06:48:07 pm »

Hi Dave

As a trader you will know much much better than me what the trading standards people usually do/don't do.
I do know that in the past knowsley have seized toys deemed dangerous, and goods that are simply fake.
My main point is I just wouldn't buy a Chinese esc again, and as the 'Old Chestnut' is mentioned so often on
here, I wonder why people (who aren't newbies) still take the chance on losing an expensive boat.

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 07:40:28 pm »

If I'm making a model boat I don't want to worrry about whether a borderline Chinese cheapie will/won't do the job. I simply want something that will plug into the RX and just work. Life's too short. And so I will buy an ACTion or other reputable UK unit that will do just that. It's called value for money! Whatever you do, you can always get something cheaper and some people seem to pursue that as a goal but, as ever, you usually get what you pay for one way or another.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 12:38:07 am »

If I'm making a model boat I don't want to worrry about whether a borderline Chinese cheapie will/won't do the job. I simply want something that will plug into the RX and just work. Life's too short. And so I will buy an ACTion or other reputable UK unit that will do just that. It's called value for money! Whatever you do, you can always get something cheaper and some people seem to pursue that as a goal but, as ever, you usually get what you pay for one way or another.

Colin
You get what you pay for, but only after you pay for what you get.
in vino veritas, as it happens, at the moment.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »

In the Auto trade we talk of German horses & Japanese ponies & never the two will meet. Junk is Junk & if you are foolish enough to spend your hard earned money on junk you can't be saved from yourself. My policy when buying is research the the item I am buying, decide what I am going to buy & then search for where I can get the best price, but never forgetting service. This formula works for me 99% of the time. Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.