Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Percentage of time actually building  (Read 1538 times)

bobk

Percentage of time actually building
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:58 pm »

Strange, but something I am rediscovering coming back into model making after nearly four decades, is that only a small percentage of time seems to be spent in actual building the model.  It all goes in a succession of short bursts, then coming up for air.

At least 30% of time is in researching a topic method or technique, - which is always enjoyable as you plan how best to achieve the next stage.  Not forgetting reading the instructions.  I am a great believer in the I.T. Help Desk term RTFM (Read The * Manual).

20% is when underway building you you suddenly find you need some special screws, fittings, different sealant etc, that brings things to a temporary halt.  In this case try to revert to something else you can prepare or get on with.  Stop start !
However this causes another 10% of time in packing away some gear away and relaying out the workbench for something else.

A slightly frustrating 30% is when you have to wait for the next bit of epoxy to set, or waiting for paint to dry.  You need to keep an eye on epoxyed parts til they set, but resist the temptation to 'play' whilst they do.

That only seems to leave 10% for actual construction, or am I missing something here?  Tell me I'm not organised enough !
Maybe thats why I have always loved detailing, you can plough on for hours.

brianB6

Re: Percentage of time actually building
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »

You are lucky if you get 10%
I find mine is interupted by "Grandpa will fix it"  O0

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:58:20 am »

You are lucky if you get 10%
I find mine is interupted by "Grandpa will fix it"  O0
Can relate to that O0 O0 O0

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 02:12:34 am »

I agree, too.  Once glue or epoxy grabs is the time to shout at yourself "GET OFF IT!"

I have built only 2 boats and a barge in my 4 years at this, and kept track of actual hands-on time on the Loyal class tender.  Over 1,000 hours, not counting all the other stuff you mention.  No wonder it took 2.5 years.  I am doing the same on a Jim Wilder just started.  Hope I am much faster, if the honey-do's don't get me.

Dave13

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:27:34 am »

I agree also however sometimes when I go out in the shed I seem to get lots done and sometimes I just seem to stand around smoking LOL :-) :-)

bobk

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26:01 pm »

"sometimes I just seem to stand around smoking "
Now, if you can get that to go through the funnels . . .
Or maybe utlise it for creating an authentic weathered aging effect on the model ?
The workshop is the only place I can have a puff round here too O0

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 06:09:04 pm »

I call it "cogitation", but as my neighbours are well used to the sound of another visit from the Laughing Cavalier....
In my defence I'd say that making a model, doing a bit of forethought and then actually working out how to actually make the "bit" takes more time than "doing it". Takes longer, is very pleasurable and generally avoids making stupid mistakes. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 22 queries.