Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BATTERIES IN FLIGHT  (Read 3718 times)

nhp651

BATTERIES IN FLIGHT
« on: September 30, 2011, 11:32:46 am »

Could someone please enlighten me..............I have had interest from a surgeon in the USA for my Clyde class lifeboat.............are batteries such as the Yuasa type 12 volt 7 amp hour sealed batteries accepted on cargo flights placed in situ on models such as the Clyde, or is this a big no no.......wondering about presurisation,/ explsions on board, etc...........I know it would be easier and probably cheeper to buy such products in the US and therefore cut down on weight, but just wondering what the situation with regards safety is.

neil.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BATTERIES IN FLIGHT
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:01:47 pm »

i am not  100% sure about SLA but  we have sent nicad and NIMH as  commercial air cargo- and  we were ok, but we had to fill out hazard data sheets to go with the package-

this outlines the hazards, the contents, the quantities and similar....also you need to detail the hazards on a  ' risk assessment' type form for the actual airline and stick labels on the shipment....

there are sections of aircraft that these kind of ' hazard' cargo has to go in, you may pay a premium for it too

but the freight forwarder or the courier firm should be able to advise further on the regulations...they should also send you the forms to fill in before shipping- our supplied all the hazard labels and stuff...

it may be worth considering sending it by sea,- more cost effective- still lots of papers to fill out but  could be in the USA within 10 days...- we just sent parts to texas and florida by sea, - they were offloaded 10 days after leaving the UK !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:29 pm »

AS long as the terminals are covered, batteries such as yours are not classed as a hazard or "dangerous goods" as we call it, I do cargo screening at a midlands airport for one of the largest despatch companies in Europe, we see these going out all over the world with no specific documentation required.  As Guy suggests a quick call to your despatcher is always the best option though - just as in all walks of life - perception and  interpretation of the "rules " can vary!  {:-{
           Hope this helps, regards, Tony.

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:20:01 pm »

Thanks guys that's re assuring.

one more question......if put into a 9mm thick crate specially made from ply, what would the chances of the crate being turned on it's side or top even though clearly marked either by sea or air transport.

cheers.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:38:39 pm »

I would support the model properly from all sides, just to make sure...

%)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:53:54 am »

As sad as this may seem and no matter which despatcher you use (and I mean all!) labels, signs and any plea you can think of makes no difference. Fragile - this way up - handle with care etc etc is unfortunately a waste of a label or ink.
      Make the packaging bullet proof and transportable at ANY angle, you'd be amazed how many times items are screened, handled, sorted, transferred etc before they get to their intended destination, and remember yours is only one item, it'll be stacked and shipped amongst thousands, especially by air - breathing space is not wasted!
      Don't mean to sound gloomy, despite all most items arrive ok, damage is a very small % on the scale of things, but it does happen and insurance can't replace some things.  Good packaging is everything.

Regards, Tony.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:58:42 am »

you may find the extra weight of the batteries, plus the if there is any cost over hazard  it may be cheaper to send without batteries, may  reduce the postage considerably.

Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 12:03:40 pm »

Neil,
When I have sent large models abroad (2 to Hong Kong) I made the box out of decent ply.
Any removable/moving parts were removed from the model.
The removable superstructure was secured to the hull.
I used cable ties and a lot of polystyrene packing.
The model firmly fixed to the stand the same way.
The stand was screwed into the base of the box.
The whole box filled with polystyrene packing.
Then the front screwed on.
With this method the box was damaged on arrival but the model (a 1/72 Type 21 Destroyer) only suffered very minimal damage - the mainmast radar bent!!
If sending batteries it might be better sending alone.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andyn

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 01:07:48 pm »

how do you think the batteries get here from china in the first place? ;)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 01:13:56 pm »

how do you think the batteries get here from china in the first place? ;)

BOAT

andyn

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 02:00:05 pm »

oh really? so when I order li-po's from hobbyking by air mail they come on a boat do they?

ACTion

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 02:33:13 pm »

oh really? so when I order li-po's from hobbyking by air mail they come on a boat do they?
Down, boy! Speak to Iain Lewis when you next see him and ask him how his stock of batteries arrives. The answer is, of course, on standard 1M pallets inside a shipping container. Only retail customers buy batteries in single units - and why aren't you (of all people) supporting UK traders anyway?
Now go and get a haircut and then get on with moulding some more bits for His Markness. If we artisans never stop working then neither should our apprentices.  <*<
Dave M

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »

thanks guys and gals........for all your input.....Umi's photo was especially helpful and all the comments from shipmate......I'd taken some of those on board but others I hadn't thought of, and with all these comments I should, if the chap is serious, be able to package it up pretty well bomb prof. cheers to all.,

think I'll leave the batteries at home though,............ 35 kilos of "lead" floating around in a hull only half impeeded could do a lot of damage, lol

neil

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:19:39 am »

Hi guys, I have had a lead acid battery shipped to me from Cornwall boats ( 12v/7amp/h) & my F14 Robbe radio came from Westbourne  with its battery installed, all by air, so I would think it is not a problem. I have had lead acid car batteries dry shipped also by air from the U/K so I hope this helps. Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.