Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phoenix Rising  (Read 2513 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Phoenix Rising
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:09:27 pm »

A Pompey build that is progressing fast is a resurrection of an old sailing ship hull that had reached its end. John didnt think so and has been working with Dave to rebuild the Phoenix. At the end of August we lifted a mold off of the model as featured in Krafty Kids recent build topic. This was not the greatest example of the laminators art to grace these pages! However, the Phoenix appears to be restoring our reputation ( what reputation?), so I took some photos of the build so far..

Must not forget, Transom decoration, name and windows by Helen..

The decks are planked in Ash with black cartridge paper for caulking, all very posh. The open forward hatches are to allow smoke out of the model, yes, its a pyro boat. It will be fitted with smoke and simulated cannon effects.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Phoenix Rising
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »

The original hull dates back to our first generation 17th Century sailing models from the late nineties. Best described as 'Blue Peter' boats, these lacked the scale appearance of later models. All of these first generation models have been rebuilt, except one, which can now been seen in Romania! The second generation rebuilds brought them up to 18th century appearance and allowed us to proceed with our Trafalgar Display in 2005. This model is taking it to the third generation in shape and generally posh looks. I, however, will not be scrubbing the decks of this model, that is for the deck hands of the team ( Ben )!

It even has twigs and string fitted. John working on the rigging while Dave looks on in a supervisory role, while the last shot shows the model and two deck hands :-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:32 pm »

More progress and a rigging secret revealed (that we copied a bit).

These pictures were taken at the Eastney Pumphouse Meccano Open Weekend just gone.

And now, secret little tricks..

Simulating planking on a smooth hull. Using masking tape applied with gaps in between, a matt black is applied, which contrasts with the satin finish already applied.

Disconnecting the ratlines from the hull sides, this trick is a variation on how the 4 metre models de-rigged that were used for the early episodes of Hornblower. On them, they passed the ends of the lines vertically down through the boards ( landlubber not knows the name for these bits! ) they would have loops on them and a bar would be passed fore and aft through all these loops underneath the board. Quick release...our way is quicker!

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:52:43 pm »

( landlubber not knows the name for these bits! )

Chainplates. And it's a neat trick you have there!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:02:04 pm »

CHAINPLATES! I should have known that. On the big Victory and Redoutable in the background, I fitted the chains that hang below the Chainplate. However, in typical Display Team fashion, they were fabricated from transformer enamelled copper wire. An upper 'U' was drilled into and glued into theunderside of the Chainplate, while the lower, inverted 'U' was threaded through the upper one and then drilled and epoxied into the hull sides.Then tweaked to look about right and painted black. Nice and strong.
I would like to note that my contributions to the Victory and Redoutable was limited to the Radio mods and internal radio installation, Chainplate chains, and the name 'VICTORY' on the back of foresaid model. About 15 members contributed to their original builds between 2003 and 2005, plus new members since to bring both models back to operational use this last year. Well done lads! :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.