Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooling a brushless motor  (Read 7262 times)

darrencuk

Cooling a brushless motor
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:47:46 pm »

Hello shipmates
I'm trying to find out some info on my motor it's brushless the can size is the same as a 540 brushed motor what I don't understand is I am putting it in boat done search online and came across motor water jacket or a motor cooling coil any one advice what's better to run thank

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cooling a brushless motor
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:54:58 pm »

It all depends on how well the jacket or coil fits.In theory the jacket would have a better surface area.The use of heat conducting paste as used on heat sinks would ensure a better conductivity.It all depends how hot the motor gets as to how much cooling is needed. John.

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:31 pm »

Is it an In Runner or Out Runner.

If it is an out Runner the Jacket/coil is no use but you can buy a bracket type thing which the motor can bolt onto and so be cooled that way .
if an in Runner its as John s says.

I think I got that the right way around  %%

Re Picture , Not the best I have seen but shows how.

darrencuk

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:31:34 pm »

Thanks for quick replies the motor is a inrunner it's going to be fitted to a graupner jet drive but I need to keep motor cool any idea what should buy

MikeA

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:38:25 pm »

the best option is the jacket. however it needs to be properly sealed. the coil is easier to install but less affective.

darrencuk

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »

How do you seal it if u don't mind me asking sorry for all the questions

MikeA

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:30:54 pm »

heres an image of a jacket:

the red orings fit around the can. you have to make sure you get the right size cooling jacket and youl need to do a leak test.

darrencuk

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »

Ok take it I have to have boat in bath and just watch and see if it does leak but if it does leak would silicon sealant work like thin line by the jacket or would this peel of when it gets warm

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »

... bit late to the party but...

Is your brushless motor an in-runner or out-runner?

If an in-runner (like a normal 540) you can use either a coil or jacket.
 I would say a jack would be more efficient as it has a better surface contact area but can be "fiddler" to fit,
 whereas a coil is 'slip on and forget'. I say 'more efficient' but to be honesty, if your motor is getting 'that hot'.
 you really need to be looking elsewhere ie, your voltage or prop size!

Inrunner motor with built in cooling jacket....

Water cooling jackets..

Outrunner water cooled motor mounts...

This is an Outrunner... the bit in his hand spins, the case spins with the shaft!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

MikeA

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:35:10 pm »

well you need to get pressure inside to check for leaks. depends weather your running a pump or not. if not a bath test wont prove anything because you need the forward movement of the boat to ram the water threw. sillicone sealer should be ok if any leaks occur. If i was doing it i use silicone anyway just in case.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »

Mike can you confirm that the jacketyou are talking about is not double skinned, but uses the outer case of the motor as the inner skin? Hence the need to seal using o rings at each end.This type would certainly conduct heat away.The type i mentioned is sealed and just glove fits on the motor.Hence my mention of conductive paste obviously not needed with your type.Thanks John.

darrencuk

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:06:19 pm »

Well I was thinking of putting the pick up right by the jet nozzle so it wouldn't be effecting impeller or turning but it would ram loads water into it :)

MikeA

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »

ohyeah forgot it was for a jet. well the jet pressure would allow for a run in the bath. usually for a conventional prop its the forward movement that makes the coolant flow. itl be an exception for a jet case.
if the cooling jacket has an inner skin then you wont need to worry about leaks of course. depends what you decide to get.

The long Build

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 03:33:21 pm »

MOTOR MOUNT WATERCOOLED BRUSHLESS water cooled rc model

Where Can I get one of these other than ebay..  See Link. I thought Giant Cod did them but I can't see them..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOR-MOUNT-WATERCOOLED-BRUSHLESS-water-cooled-rc-model-/120795504107?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1c1ff91deb

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 06:05:17 pm »

There the ones, Cheers..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.