Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X tail set up  (Read 1966 times)

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
X tail set up
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:17:40 pm »

OK people I have just bought myself a sub hull with a X tail formation and I have a couple of questions to those of you in the know
1/ when fitting the pivot post is it a 50/50 split i.e. middle of the vane or more like a 25/75 split for a longer trailing edge?
2/ what will I need to set up the X tail radio wise? my transmitter has a V tail mixer program. shopping list required
3/ how difficult are they to set up ?
4/ can you use a sub leveler on them?
thanks in advance
Right which one will I do next?;)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: X tail set up
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:23:29 pm »

1/ when fitting the pivot post is it a 50/50 split i.e. middle of the vane or more like a 25/75 split for a longer trailing edge?

Generally a third in from the forward tip of the leading edge for full flying control surfaces.

2/ what will I need to set up the X tail radio wise? my transmitter has a V tail mixer program. shopping list required

If you're going to use a leveller (advised unless the boat is very slow) then mixing in the TX is non-starter- you will need to mix onboard. You can use an aeroplane v-tail mixer for this, but you can experience problems with these and levellers sometimes. Fortunately both Norbert Bruggen and Engel offer levellers which are designed exclusively for x-tail boats.

3/ how difficult are they to set up ?

If you mix electronically, then in mechanical terms, an x-tail is the same as a cruciform tail spun around 45 degrees. Space can be tight on modern submarine designs.

4/ can you use a sub leveler on them?

Yes, but see the answer I gave to question 2.

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
Re: X tail set up
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:52:11 pm »

Cheers Andy  have gone with the engel pitch controller  :-))
Right which one will I do next?;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.