Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Marine Air Sea Rescue Launch 128  (Read 20850 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Deans Marine Air Sea Rescue Launch 128
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 02:12:58 pm »

Sorry Dan only ever used meths [available from Halfords]
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »

Cleaned up deck edge, & added a little filler. Sanded off excess. Quite pleased with results. Quickly cut out superstructure fits reasonably well once edges cleaned off & sanded flat should look ok.
Mahogany strip never arrived  :(( was lloking foward to fitting it tomorrow. Never mind.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »

Hi Dan, is it an optical illusion in the third photo up or is your hull twisted ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 05:16:05 pm »

There is a small twist, but the picture makes it look a million times worse. Looking straight on with your eyes closed & the lights off it looks fine  {-) {-) By the time all the fittings etc are on I don't think it will show. ( Well I hope not anyway  {:-{ )
Cheers Dan

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 11:40:30 pm »

Think it's both the angle of the photo Rich', and moreso don't think it's sat in the stand correctly compared to the other pics, seems to be leaning on its side to starboard.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 09:33:52 am »

There is a small twist, but the picture makes it look a million times worse. Looking straight on with your eyes closed & the lights off it looks fine  {-) {-) By the time all the fittings etc are on I don't think it will show. ( Well I hope not anyway  {:-{ )
Cheers Dan

Dan, Dicky is to close because it looks alright from down here %) %) %)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »

Hi all, well the Mahogany strip arrived yesterday, so I thought I'd have a go at fitting some.
Firstly I made a template at a 45o Degree angle  & then marked it with a pencil Having already sanded the hull I must add to get a good key.

I used Cyno to attach the strips to the hull, this dries very quickly with the wood, & holds well. Not only to the hull, but to my fingers as well, so constantly having to go wash my hands to get the stuff off  {:-{ I've tried tweezers, but to no avail. Anyway, cutting & fitting each strip takes an age, & is rather boring to say the least, never the less needs to be done. After a few hours I've got this far, & used 7 1 metre lengths.

Enough for today I think before I launch it out of the window  :}
Quite pleased with the results so far.

Cheers Dan.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:40 pm »

Rather than cut and attach each piece singularly, could you glue the "full" length and then trim it and so on.
It would save unnecessary wastage if practical to do so.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 01:57:18 pm »

Well after many hours gluing & unsticking fingers etc, managed to complete the hull. Now got the deck to do, but that should be a lot easier as it's flat. I'll tidy up the edges once the wooden "bump" strip has been attached. All in all I think it looks rather good. I'll seal the wood before I give it several coats of primer.
Dan.

howyson

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

As you say Dan, looking good and well worth the sticky fingers.

Howard

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 05:54:05 pm »

Hi all, finally managed to finish off the planking. Quite a task really, looks nice but very time consuming. I sealed the wood with super glue in the end, & gave it a good sanding, came up nice & smooth, allmost as if I'd used Immac  {-) {-)
Now just got to fill any small gaps etc & hopefully get some paint on it to see if it was all worth while  {:-{
In the end I used 45 1 metre length strips, with allmost no wastage, which was a bonus.
Cheers Dan.

mikearace

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »

Thats a grand job!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 10:11:37 am »

Nice work! A very frastrating but ultimatly a very satisfing job I would guess.

1. How much did the wood cost
2. where did you get it from?
3. What Superglue did you use?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

Superb work on the mahogany hull planking - looks like a lot of effort but it has really paid off! I wouldn't be able to tell that wasn't a scratchbuilt wood hull.
The diagonal planking is quite prominent on the real boats I've seen with this construction method (although to be fair they are 50+ years old and most have been out of the water for decades) so it really makes a difference to the model's realism. I have a "Whaleback" hull myself (not from the Dean's kit, it's bright blue GRP) and when/if I get round to building a boat with it, might be tempted to try the same thing!

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 06:04:54 pm »

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments  :embarrassed:  It certainly took a while to do, but was easy really once the first plank was fitted. I'm not sure how well it will show once painted, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

To answer Martins "Q"s:
1. The strips were 23p each, that's 5mm x 0.5mm x 1000mm & on this kit I used approx 45 strips, so with postage it was about £15.00 so not to expensive.

2. I purchased them from "The Model Dockyard" in Truro. I had to wait a couple of weeks so I could get them all the same shade. Before anyone asks, I know I'm painting them, but I ordered way to many, to be on the safe side, & can always use the others on another project which might need to be seen  O0 Forward thinking one thinks  :-))

3. As for the glue, I used the cheap stuff from the local 99p shop, 4 large 20ml bottles for 99p no less  {-)

Once the hull was sanded to get a good key, the strips stuck really well. I then poured the glue all over to seal it & sanded it back smooth. seems to have worked well.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 07:34:45 pm »

hi there Dan

the build is looking really smart, I really like the planking

Couple of questions for ya -

Are you going to plank the bottom of the hull - from the chine to the keel?

Before you paint the exterior of the hull, are you thinking about sealing it with some form of epoxy or polyester resin?

My personal thoughts are that it would be best to seal the planking with say  z epoxy finishing resin - then this (as you know) can be rubbed down to a lovely finish for painting on but also it adds that bit of barrier and protection to prevent any water from getting into the planking, swelling it up and splitting it away from the hull.

KEEP ON THE GOOD WORK - IT IS LOOKING REALLY SMART

got me thinking of another re-build of one of these.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 02:53:21 pm »

Hi John, many thanks for kind words  :embarrassed: praise indeed from the master  O0
I hadn't intended to plank the bottom, as it's not really seen, but now you've mentioned it, & I do have plenty of wood spare, it seems a shame not to, so I've bitten the bullet & started to plank away  :-)) :-)) Will definitely look better in the long run.
As for sealing the wood, I used cyno on the deck & sides, I did this on my Calypso when I built her, & it seems to have stood up to the water test, with no visible signs of lifting etc. Obviously I'll go around the edges etc with some model filler to fill any gaps that might be present, & give it a few coats of primer first. Hopefully that'll be sufficient.
Now if you're thinking of building another, that would be great, I really enjoyed your last one's build diary.  :-)) :-))
Right a bit more gluing before back to work  :(( :(( Cheers Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 03:17:52 pm »

Well after many more hours gluing planks, & ungluing fingers  :embarrassed: I've finally finished the planking. I found the lower hull the hardest to do, due to the curvature of the hull, but got there in the end. I must say it looks nice, even better with your eyes closed  %%.
Anyway glad this part is done as it was getting a bit boring to say the least, also fingers were getting rather sore from picking off the glue + skin.
Next job get some primer on it to see if it was all worth it. Cheers Dan.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 08:46:55 pm »

Dan,
It looks evenbetter down here  %) %) %)

Seriuosly looks good  :-)) :-))

howyson

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:14 am »

Hi Dan

Well worth the time and sticky fingers. looking really good.

Howard

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »

Thanks chaps  :embarrassed: Just got to fill some gaps then get some primer on to see if it was worth all the effort. Cheers Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 11:29:02 am »

Hi all, well after a long break, I've made a start on the ASR again  %% Having got over the sore fingers etc from sticking on the wood strips I've primed filled & sanded the hull & decking. You can't really see in the pictures, but the lines of the planking show quite well in places, & look rather good, if I do say so myself  :embarrassed: I've made a start on the main superstructure / cabin, sanded it to get a good fit, & now making a start on cutting out the windows. I think I'll have to make up some frames for them as they are very faint on the vac forming. Anyway it's good to be back on the build. Cheers Dan

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 06:31:56 pm »

Well spent a few hours this afternoon cutting out the rest of the windows  %%  managed to keep the frames in place for the front cabin.

cavs995

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Deans Marine Air Sea Rescue Launch - Under New Ownership!
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 10:29:34 pm »

Ok, so I purchased this boat as a project from Dan via ebay not knowing it was this boat!  The hull planking is quite impressive work so (stupidly) I decided to plank the cabin structure in the same way.....

As this is now my new project I'm uncertain as whether to continue it here or start a new thread?? 

I'll put up some pics of my somewhat slow progress once I figure out how to attach them without my whole post being deleted for being oversize, grrr!

cavs995

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:16 pm »

Ok, so here's my first attempt at planking the cabin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.