Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: for storage bits & pieces  (Read 5316 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
for storage bits & pieces
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:41 am »

Last week I went to a big sports & outdoor shop here,it is called Bass Pro Shop. In the fishing department they sell a massive variety of fishing tackle boxes made by a company named "PLANO". They are wonderfull for storing our boat bits & pieces. I have one laid out with all the bits of my Smit Nederland in separate compartments. Look them up on the net. I am not sure you can get them in the U/K. I have another one with small tools, wire,  electrical connectors, nuts ,bolts etc. I just thought some of you might be interested.We always need more storage don't we ?.  Mick B.
Mick B.

kinmel

Re: for storage bits & pieces
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:44:48 pm »

Plano products are available in the U.K.

http://www.summerlands-tackle.co.uk/section.php/4039/1/plano-tackle-boxes is one retailer

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:45:43 pm »

HI Kinmel, that is only a small portion of what they produce, in fact the two ones I have purchased are not listed. The prices are also DOUBLE what we pay, talk about a ripoff. I wonder if you really wanted to purchase some & a few of you in a club put in a bulk order it might be cheaper to ship direct from North America. They are probably made in China, it might be possible to buy direct from the manufacturer, just guessing. They really are a quality item for the price we pay here, even your price is not too bad for what you get for your money. Mick B.
Mick B.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »

This type of box and similar items are available from a variety of sources in the UK. Not sure about price comparison, but beware HMRC and the dreaded VAT  >>:-(
Don't Assume Check

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:15:11 am »

Hi Dougal99, Yes you do pay a lot of tax, our VAT (GST. Goods & Services Tax) is 5%. Our province Alberta has no provincial sales tax, all the other provinces do. I tend to forget you have VAT on top of the price. When we buy from U/K we don't pay the VAT, so our price is 20% less than you pay, that is a big saving. Mick B.
Mick B.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

Hi irishcarguy - which ones did you find useful? I've looked at some but migrated to the stackable small drawers/tray styles but see some benefit in your thinking.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:15:37 pm »

Hi Mike, I found the two tiered ones the best as there is room for larger items in the bottom sections because they have removable dividers & generally are deeper. Do you have a Bass Pro Store near you ?The store in it self is an experience. The sheer variety of what they sell in containers is amazing just for the fishing people. I use one for all the parts for my Smit Nederland, I have put the Billings #'s on each compartment so no searching to find the right part,it is a big help & a time saver too. I have another just for small tools & bits & pieces (hope to post pictures soon) When I am nearly finished the Smit I will be starting the Fairmount Alpine so I will be buying another box for that, Mick B.
Mick B.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 03:39:34 pm »

I like the idea of a box per boat actually - I shift parts into small drawers and then forget where I put them - have a lot of Dubro servo parts for instance!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

Hi Mike, I find it very convenient to have all the parts for one model together, that way nothing gets mixed in with other stuff. When I decide to work on a particular project I have everything together in the same place. I am an Auto Tech  by profession & am generally well organised, as I do a lot of engine rebuilds & also transmissions.To give you an example, when I remove an engine for overhaul,everything that held the engine in the car goes in its own box,everything external on the engine in another box, & all internal parts in another box . Assembly is is then easy. I inspect & measure all parts when disassembled & order all replacement's at that time. As you can see this system works well for our boat hobby too. Hope this is not too long winded but most of what I know I too have learned from others, I hope I have been a help in some small way. Mick B. PS= Are you a member of a club in Victoria ?. Nothing much around here, I asked on the forum & did not get a single reply, sad to say.
Mick B.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:44 am »

Yes, member of the Victoria group. Try to get up to Nanaimo for their April show, Burnaby and the Foss Cup in Seattle but missed it this year due to work disorganization. I try to learn from the other fellows at these shows - lots of ideas, assistance on building except some have a natural touch to making their models look good. Where in Alberta are you?

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:53 am »

North West Calgary, it is the nicest part of the city, 5 minutes & I am out of town west, Mick B.
Mick B.

Tombsy

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:12 pm »

North West Calgary, it is the nicest part of the city, 5 minutes & I am out of town west, Mick B.

Hey wait a minute I'm in McKenzie Towne a pond out front and in 5 minutes I'm fishing the Bow River  {-) {-) {-) ok2

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 04:50:55 am »

I can't help it if you need a helicopter & a passport to come to the city down town, LOL. Serious thought do you sail boats on the lake & is there a club there,let me know. I asked on here if there were any Calgary members & I did not get a single reply. Mick B.
Mick B.

Tombsy

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 06:08:56 am »

We have an informal club, I haven't been out with them this year but there should be some sailors heading to Glenmore Reservoir by Heritage Dr. on Saturday at 1pm.
I can forward your email to get you on the mailing list of what's going on. One of the members sails up in the NW as well.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 06:45:30 am »

Thanks for the PM, I am not sure I can make it on Saturday, but stay in touch & let me know sailing times, Thanks again, Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.