Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connectors  (Read 4358 times)

The long Build

Connectors
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:15:31 pm »

There now seem to be a few type of connectors available, I,m sure there are many, many others, however the ones I am looking at are

The Tamiya type

Bullet type

Deans connectors (new one to me)

What do people prefer ? and Why..

I used to always use the Tamiya ones but tend to start getting connection problems after regular use, also when hands cold very hard to undo, have started to use the Bullet type, but have now seen these deans connectors and just wondered what the advantages each had over the other.

Larry R.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Connectors
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:04 pm »

The Deans Connectors have a good surface area in contact so can carry a higher current.
The way the pins are arranged ensures you cant connect any way but the correct way.
BUT
If fitting these do not leave the soldering iron on when soldering the wires on the contacts as the heat can melt the body.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »

I converted to Deans, as you can only connect one way (on some connectors you can push worn plugs together the wrong way) they also take High ish amps, the gold bullet can take more, they can be very stiff to push in and out, there are a lot of cheap coppies  I try to buy in bulk from the same place and they tend to fit together better, I tend to be involved with boats that the connectors need to pass a bit of current.
the deans don't seem to tarnish the way tamiya or the amp connectors do that are just pressed steel.

have a play with a pair of deans before you decide to convert over as they are not to everyones liking.

Peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:32:29 pm »

The Deans Connectors have a good surface area in contact so can carry a higher current.
The way the pins are arranged ensures you cant connect any way but the correct way.
BUT
If fitting these do not leave the soldering iron on when soldering the wires on the contacts as the heat can melt the body.

Bob

I have a block for soldering Deans connectors from the states , you need a very big iron and work very quick, plus I find if insert  the one you are soldering in to a spareplug they tend not to deform

Peter

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:46 pm »

Must admit when looking at the deans I was not / still am not quite sure how to go about it..

HS93.. You say you have a block , how does that work. Any links to any pictures of said item.  Also intrigued that you say the bullets can take more amps, as one of or members recons its the deans that can take more ?.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:36:35 pm »

Ill try and find a link to the Block , the bullets are the 6 mm gold type they take a higher ampage this is a Vidio of the block in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OWQ2faMNjM&feature=related

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-2423-hpi-female-gold-plated-6mm-bullet-connector-x3-101953.aspx

Peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:42:45 pm »

Jiant Cod do some nice deans connectors made out out of decent plastic  plus they have grips on, when soldering clean terminal part to be solderd with a smal lrotary grinder, then use baker fluid and wash after dont forget to put heat shrink on first , ( I put two pieces on each and use the glued type) as they will have a lot of pulling in there life.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/deans-ribbed-style-ultra-connector-plugs-pairs-p-406555.html

Peter

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:33:25 am »

I have a block for soldering Deans connectors from the states , you need a very big iron and work very quick, plus I find if insert  the one you are soldering in to a spareplug they tend not to deform

Peter

Good tip, thank you  :-)) :-))

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:40:13 am »

Peter,

Was looking at one of these if suitable/similar to what you use.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17626__Mr_JIG_Soldering_Aid.html

kinmel

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:55 am »

Jiant Cod do some nice deans connectors made out out of decent plastic  plus they have grips on, when soldering clean terminal part to be solderd with a smal lrotary grinder, then use baker fluid and wash after dont forget to put heat shrink on first , ( I put two pieces on each and use the glued type) as they will have a lot of pulling in there life.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/deans-ribbed-style-ultra-connector-plugs-pairs-p-406555.html

Peter

The latest version of these Ultra Dean type plugs are now pre-coated with flux and can be soldered without any preparation.

I have now changed the connections to these in all my boats and have no problems at all.  Component shop offer batteries with Deans type connectors already fitted at no extra cost.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 08:34:25 am »

Some of the cheap clone deans can be a lttle difficult to connect, diconnect owing to the smooth surface.  This is compounded on model boats if you have wet hands.

I engrave a couple of grooves on mine to give a better grip

These ones are quite popular as well
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F9572%5F%5FNylon%5FXT60%5FConnectors%5FMale%5FFemale%5F5%5Fpairs%5FGENUINE.html

Ive got some of these types in my trex 500
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:40:24 pm »

I have standardised on Deans connectors in all my boats because, as both Shipmate60 and HS93 said, they are virtually foolproof as they can only be connected one way. I have organised it so that any motor and any ESC can be used in any boat, as the wiring is the same polarity throughout my (small) fleet.

I hold the connector in a vice while soldering wires to the tags.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.