Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: lost boat  (Read 13321 times)

MikeA

lost boat
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »

i cant beleive it im so hacked off. took my brushless boat out today brand new turnigy 3300 3s lipo and it burnt out in the middle of the lake!! drifted into a centre island and now stuck there. i cant get it back ive had to come home with no boat!! has anyone got any words of encouragement before i hang up my tools?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: lost boat
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:59 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

MikeA

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:22:48 pm »

nope

stew49

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »

How far out is it, maybe get someone with fishing rod and a small ledger on it. anyhow hope you get it back. i dred anything like that. we do have a rescue boat at our club.

Stewart :-))

MikeA

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »

must be 100 ft at least from either bank

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

baloo

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:45:22 pm »

dont know where abouts in lincolnshire you are ,but do you know someone with a canoe ?

wullie/mk2

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 01:30:27 pm »

I know its not a laughing matter, but perhaps the poor wee burdies will have somewhere to shelter this winter,and they might even use it as a nest box ;D

Builder1

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:33:52 pm »

Just a thought , if the lake is quite shallow can you not put on chest waders and go and get the boat??

Timo2

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:43 pm »

Hi

Chest Waders you need a long pole to check pond base in front of you and support , plus a very good friend on the pond edge and maybe a good long rope  O0

The pond boy at Knightswood  pond 2' down to 4 1/2 '     ;)     it's not funny on a cold day   O0

Timo2  

Nige52

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:03:05 pm »

It's not only you......

Patrick Henry

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »

Know anybody with a tug? Tie a long thread to the tug, take it out to your stranded boat and let the current drift the thread around the stern, tighten the thread gently and it will catch on the rudder or the prop. It may take a few attempts, but it will work in the end...trust me, been there and done that.

Rich

MikeA

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:59:08 pm »

the lake is massive tbh its not wadable as its 80 ft odd deep iron ore quarry. it got it self caught on a tiny island cant be more than 20 ft across with a tree growing out of it and its snagged on the tree and gone in the reads. I  was thinking about getting my other boat to shove it back but its so far out i can barely see it never mind navigate the weeds and tree roots. i dont know anyone with a boat, occasionally some fishermen have small dinghies but none today. im going back tomorrow to see if any jet skiers turn up. i think the esc has burnt out i just hope the lipo is ok at least.

Nige52

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 04:22:54 pm »

Which lake is it Mike?

MikeA

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »

ashby ville in scunthorpe

Deep Diver

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 04:37:50 pm »

Hi
Try you local Sub Aqua Club, as its an old quarry they may even by there on a Sunday morning, when I used to dive we was all ways being asked.

MikeA

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »

i think theres one about

Nige52

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 04:43:07 pm »

Hmm, lots of little islands on that lake according to GE...probably as deep as you say, I think a dinghy may be the only answer....don't you know anyone who will lend you one?

bobk

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 07:06:37 pm »

Mike:  So sorry to hear about your mishap, I really feel for you.  Being new to this 'sport' I would never have the bottle to sail without anyone else around, Murphy's Law being what it is.  I only dare to sail on club days where there are several 'rescue' tugs about.  In fact last month I lost signal half way out across the lake and was very grateful for another member giving me a push back.

Could I suggest it might be an idea to take a second boat, a tug, when sailing solo.  The risk of losing control of both at the same time must be fairly remote. We also have an arrangement with the local sub aqua club if all else fails.

At least if the island is that inaccessible you should have time to organise recovery.  Fingers crossed !

MikeA

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 07:46:05 pm »

i cant understand it though. its been fine the last 6 or 7 trips not hitches. went out with lipo last time and came back in why this time? i can only put it too one thing. it was a little windy today and thne lake had a bit of ripple on it and the boat was jumping a bit. Im thinking either a connection has come loose but i doubt it or the jumping has made the prop over rev and on landing with the water the current spiked and fried the esc.

sentry

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »

sorry to hear mike but thats why i,ed never chance morrorsons lake hope you can find a diny,
 regards Howard.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 09:09:49 am »

Sorry to hear about all this. At our local sailing water in Kent when I was there, another deep gravel pit, we used the services of our local diving and canoe clubs that we had built up a bit of a relationship with ( A bottle of scotch at Christmas can do that)  O0  It may well be worth having a look in the local phone book....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 10:50:44 am »

I agree with Martin, buy a cheap dinghy. Not the best solution but good as a last resort
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Wet-56-inch-Inflatable-Dinghy/dp/B002ESJB10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318067114&sr=8-1

I have used a similar size to recover my 51" Sigma, just keep the prop away from the tubes!!!!!

wullie/mk2

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 10:55:57 am »

My mate has one of these,...and it does what its supposed to do, ..get you there and back again,...and he,s no a skinny wee lump {-)

MikeA

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »

I bought a inflatable bed today because the one in Argos wasn't available. it "xxxxx" it down with rain and was freezing i dint bother with it in the end cos i saw  a guy on jet ski. I went to speak to him and he said hell be on the lake tomorrow but he cant go past the white bollards without the gamekeepers permission. so i got the game keepers permission and were all going to meet a 12 tomorrow. i just hope the lipo is OK at least i ordered it from hobby king and took 3 weeks to get here. I got my fingers crossed as of tomorrow at 12 my boat will have been stranded for 48 hours in the middle of the lake
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.