Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: lost boat  (Read 13319 times)

wibplus

Re: lost boat
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 04:39:47 pm »

Hi Mike, sorry about your trouble. If it means your LiPo is dead, I have 2 brand new Turnigy 2200 3s @ 40c which I bought for a project and never used. You can have them for a tenner + post if you need them (might ease the pain a bit).   :-))   :-)

MikeA

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »

ill bare that in mind thanks  :-))

Craig Dickson

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »

Hi

For members not familiar with the lake that Mike refers to, I took a few pics recently. If these images show it helps demonstrate why a model boat stuck will need a rescue boat for safe recovery: And personally I would want a half decent dinghy with life jackets:

If you click on the images they should enlarge for better effect.

I do hope you get your boat back Mike fingers crossed.
Cheers
Craig

The long Build

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 07:16:52 pm »

Nobody with a kayak around ?.

MikeA

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 09:23:59 am »

sometimes but boating isnt a popular past time in my area. there is the occasional jet ski its used  mostly by fishermen tbh i think its a waste of a lake.

The long Build

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 10:01:55 am »

How's Your Swimming   :} :}

Hope you get it back, I recently lost the superstructure after a collision with a sailing boat (no idea ) to my Pollux in a relatively shallow pond but water to murky and despite rescue attempts no joy, but that can get rebuilt (With some buoyancy this time)  but sunk his 510 a week later in a football match when the ref , a Tyne Models Flying Phantom stepped in so hope you get yours back.

Disclamer
The 510 was recovered and is all well with all electrical items working   (It was genuinely an accident) and in no way was I trying to get revenge at all , never , As if I would.. :police:

MikeA

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 10:47:08 am »

the lake is full of scrap steel weeds and reeds, unless you have a life jacket its not recommended to swim in it. secondly its raining atm and freezing cold

The long Build

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:32 am »

Was not seriously recomending to swim to it, but if the Jet ski does not pan out there most be a local Kayak club , most leisure centres have one and I'm sure you could get someone to nip out for a couple of quid. I know I would if approached.

Stays out there any longer it will be on the next google map.. :}

MikeA

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 01:33:15 pm »

ok jet ski dude turned up and got the boat back. From the evidence of the molten black plastic on the red wire it seems the battery connector had overheated melted the solder and cut out the boat.

damage:

boat wood completely saturated all seems and coming apart paint has flaked and ply wood delaminated

all possible copper parts have decomposed and gone green esc is trashed receiver might be ok and hopefully the motor.

lipo battery is soden the connector was green and sludgy and the balance cable has gone green and fallen apart

if i had got the boat out the day it had got stuck wouldve been fine but 2 days on the water has ruined everything that was salvageable lol

The long Build

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 02:45:24 pm »

Shame , surprised so much damage in such short a time..

Whats is/was the boat

MikeA

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 03:24:00 pm »

my scratch built speed boat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPKYpQMF_k

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »

Ply that delaminates in two days is not the sort I would use to build any floating object.
The green stuff Copper Sulphate can be cleaned off the connectors
Otherwise an expensive lesson Mike    <:(   <:(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

MikeA

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 04:15:01 pm »

well the ply was backed with balsa in some places and the damp has got in the balsa and thats the bit that delaminated rather than the atually ply itself, the ply is actually very good. expensive too.

Ive stripped the esc and lipo apart, ive cleaned them up. the lipo stll shows nearly 4 volts per cell so im hopeful about that. the brushless esc was green and gunky but ive cleaned that up tested it and it still works but forward only now. it doesnt matter though because on surface drive it didnt work in reverse anyway. motor is fine too.

In all honesty ive managed to salvage 90 percent of it with a bit of fettling all i need is some new battery connectors, new a propshaft coupling, bit more ply and ill build another boat. I bought a traxxas to tamiya extension cut the tamiya off and soldered the the traxxas end to the lipo. i took extra care in soldering my bit but didnt check the connection that came with the connector and it was that that failed. all this for a £1.20 peice of wire!!

its funny really because the corrosive damage was not caused by water from the lake, the inside of the boat was just damp. all electricals were sealed in balloons it was the build up of condensation and cold inside the balloons that got them wet.

nhp651

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 04:43:48 pm »

did you have any in line fuses to protect against such a voltage draw, as it would be in my thoughts that a massive surge/draw of amps from the motor, on a stall such as weed collecting round the prop has caused this.

a fuse would have possibly protected against some of this.had it happened in the middle of the lake and alowed the boat to drift tyo the bank edge. {:-{ {:-{

MikeA

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 05:00:48 pm »

well even of i had installed a fuse it would have cut out. but the problem was it drifted onto a centre island not the edge lol. anyway hopefully (touch wood) its a one off.

nhp651

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 05:04:48 pm »

well even of i had installed a fuse it would have cut out.

just trying to help........and it might have drifted in a differnt direction and not fried the reverse on the esc.....but hey ho, I'll shut up, what do I KNOW.

Just one thing...I' d use water proof glue next time...... %) %)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »

Murphy's law of model boating #1001

If your boat cuts out in the middle of the pond, no matter which way the wind is blowing it will always end up in the most inaccessible spot
  <:(
Don't Assume Check

MikeA

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 05:47:18 pm »

just trying to help........and it might have drifted in a differnt direction and not fried the reverse on the esc.....but hey ho, I'll shut up, what do I KNOW.

Just one thing...I' d use water proof glue next time...... %) %)

i didnt mean to snap if i came accross that way. im not sure why the reverse has stopped working it happended on the table here, i didnt install a fuse because i couldnt find one rated to 60 amp esc. my other boat has one in but it didnt seem necessary on this boat as it doesnt run that high anyway. 

i use a mix of ca glue and epoxy resin, then laminate with dope and tissue. it works allright not given me any trouble before but i didnt intend my boat to be water born for 48 hours, if i had bared that in mind i would used other building materials like fibreglass, but it doesnt seem necessary as the run time on my boat is 7 minutes

MikeA

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 06:09:14 pm »

after a bit more drying the reverse works aswell now. I think ive been rather lucky actually and recovered all my expensive stuff.

Nige52

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 06:36:47 pm »

Your opening post said your boat had burned out in the middle of the lake? I envisaged a fire, or at least the magic smoke escaping....so if all the components are up and working well, what exactly was on fire?

Craig Dickson

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »

Hi Mike

I must say well done in actually getting your boat back. I didn't think you actually would!

As we know that is by model boat standards a substantial expanse of water. It is nice to know that you have salvaged what you have and hopefully once everything has properly dried out the damage will be minimal.

Cheers
Craig :-))

MikeA

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 06:54:41 pm »

Your opening post said your boat had burned out in the middle of the lake? I envisaged a fire, or at least the magic smoke escaping....so if all the components are up and working well, what exactly was on fire?

well when i posted it i hadnt got my boat back i had no idea what happened i just completely lost power. thought it was due to burnt out esc but the esc is fine. i bought one of these well like this anyway:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-Male-4mm-Bullet-Works-w-Hyperion-Charger-/230553210410?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ae0ace2a

i thought the connectors would connect into the standard lipo connector but i hadnt noticed that 1 of the terminals on the lipo connector was male. so i cut both the terminals off the extension wire and lipo and made the lipo with a traxxas gold connector. all my boats use traxxas connectors and so are all my batteries so i didnt want to change anything because my batteries jump about in different boats. Anyway it seems the soldering inside the connector i bought had overheated and melted itself. The boucing off the boat on the lake jiggled the wire loose and cut off completely.

MikeA

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 07:05:06 pm »

Hi Mike

I must say well done in actually getting your boat back. I didn't think you actually would!

As we know that is by model boat standards a substantial expanse of water. It is nice to know that you have salvaged what you have and hopefully once everything has properly dried out the damage will be minimal.

Cheers
Craig :-))

i consider myself quite lucky in how much ive actually got back, after 2 days i thought any hope of salvage was out of the question. im still going back on the lake though, i know its a risky place to boat but its great when theres no wind the waters flat as a sheet. i looked at the pics youve posted and that near the ramp i go to the other end on the sandbanks keep away from the jet skis.

sentry

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2011, 07:18:15 pm »

Mike so glad you got most of it back ok  i,ll have to pop down and watch you one day  lol still perfer our little pond at Goole.
                  Regards Howard, (sentry).

MikeA

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »

well at leasts if get a boat stuck you can recover it. if i was driving id join your club but i catch the bus to the lake. you should risk it  %% n
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.