Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiences of Model Shops  (Read 5956 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Experiences of Model Shops
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 11:29:18 pm »

Hi

Well I'm pretty new to the hobby and I ask on the forum about a lot of stuff - and everyone is helpful. My experience with model shops is this - most of them don't seem overly interested in boats - and I have been really disappointed in probably eight of nine I have been to {:-{ However I hauled myself up to Skelmersdale to a tiny cramped shop called 'Scale Hobbies' and I had a great experience. The guy looked at my old boat, talked me through some choices, kitted me out with everything off the shelf, and gave advice on what to do etc etc. Now whilst my pennies might have gone a little further on the internet I would have missed out on his advice - and maybe bought the wrong item. I will definitely return there soon  :-))

Regards Norseman

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 06:22:01 am »

Nearest model shop is about 2 hours away.... more trains and RC cars tho.  Nearest decenet model shop is in Helsinki (4 hours away) and that is to expensive as I can normally buy from CMB or ebay and have it shipped for less
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 06:28:07 am »

Hi

Well I'm pretty new to the hobby and I ask on the forum about a lot of stuff - and everyone is helpful. My experience with model shops is this - most of them don't seem overly interested in boats - and I have been really disappointed in probably eight of nine I have been to {:-{ However I hauled myself up to Skelmersdale to a tiny cramped shop called 'Scale Hobbies' and I had a great experience. The guy looked at my old boat, talked me through some choices, kitted me out with everything off the shelf, and gave advice on what to do etc etc. Now whilst my pennies might have gone a little further on the internet I would have missed out on his advice - and maybe bought the wrong item. I will definitely return there soon  :-))

Regards Norseman

Yes I've popped into Scale Hobbies when I've been delivering up that way, well worth having a look at and very helpful. I think they're closed on Tuesday and Thursday though, at least that's what their website says, Dave.  :-))

http://www.scalehobbies.net/

hopeitfloats

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 07:48:54 am »

Went to my local model shop today  (10 miles)  for Humbrol Silk White and of all the tins they had there, Not one was white.   {:-{

What a disappointment. There was I, willing to spend on other items but needed the white the most, so I walked out. 

ken

that would have to be one strange model shop.  do they normally stock white. i would have thought that a base colour would be the most common to stock even if it wasnt exactly what you wanted.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 10:41:32 am »

That thought occurred to me as well. The carousel was reasonably stocked but the White silk column (code 130) was dry ??  he did mutter about 'we can order it' but I was not in the mood to continue.   Roll on Warwick where we can  'Touchy feely' and spend like there's no tomorrow.  :}

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.