Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: France 19  (Read 9315 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: France 19
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 10:34:41 pm »

I would not accuse Alain Rolland of bias, (I don't believe any top class referee is biased), but I agree with Geoff that he is not a good referee. It seems to me that referees from different countries have different interpretations of the rules, which is extremely confusing for players and spectators alike. Scrums are a lottery, and many times referees seem to see what no one else does, mentally flip a coin and give a penalty, the reason for which is incomprehensible to everyone else.

Before the World Cup started, a journalist in one of our major national papers had a wish list for the competition. One of the items on his list was that all the referees' whistles be confiscated by customs officers at the airport :-) Unfortunately his wish did not come true <:(.

Peter.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 10:45:20 pm »

Before the World Cup started, a journalist in one of our major national papers had a wish list for the competition. One of the items on his list was that all the referees' whistles be confiscated by customs officers at the airport Unfortunately his wish did not come true .

Then we can this sport free fighting ?

Xtian

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 09:38:20 pm »

Well, the Rugby World Cup has been run and won, and the red hot favourite got home....just. I could not believe the difference in the French side compared to their earlier performances, they were magnificent O0 In previous matches France looked very ordinary, and were extremely lucky to beat Wales to get to the final. I honestly thought that the All Blacks would win by 20 or more points, but Thierry Dusautoir's men proved me wrong, and the Kiwis were lucky to get the prize. Having said that, however, New Zealand was consistently the best team throughout the tournament and are worthy winners.

Australia had to be content with Bronze, after beating a plucky Wales, although the score did not reflect the difference in the two teams. One of Wales' tries was from such a blatant forward pass that even the Welsh were surprised that it was allowed, then Australia was pulled up for a pass which was ruled forward even though it clearly went a metre backwards. These and other decisions reinforced what most Rugby fans already new, that referee Wayne Barnes is not competent to officiate at such a high level, something he has demonstrated on many occasions.

Congratulations New Zealand :-))

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:39 am »

Bring on the Quiddich World Cup.   %%

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:11 am »

Peter,

It's not just Wayne Barnes that needs to come under scrutiny; there are others of equally poor judgement. I believe that referees are allocated on a per country basis for IRB political reasons and competence comes second. How you get round that easily I don't know but the supporters deserve better after paying £75+ for an international game.

Barry M

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2011, 11:51:55 am »

Hello

I fully agree with you Peter
the Kiwis were lucky to get the prize. Having said that, however, New Zealand was consistently the best team throughout the tournament and are worthy winners.

Next time in England  :-)

Xtian

pugwash

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »

Well the French surprised me - they really made a game of it, as the commentator said "it isn't a classic but totally compelling"
and on another day they may have scooped the prize
Wonder which French team will turn up for the Six Nations

Geoff

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:36 pm »

Quote that I read today sums it up, "The Kiwis deserved to win but France made them work for it".

Barry M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »

It's not just Wayne Barnes that needs to come under scrutiny; there are others of equally poor judgement.

I agree wholeheartedly, Barry, the standard of refereeing throughout the tournament was quite low. One of the problems with refereeing, as I see it, is that refs from different regions use different interpretations of the rules, which causes confusion to players and spectators alike.

Peter.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:47 pm »

Which points to a problem with the wording of the rules. If a rule has more than one interpretation the it cannot be properly drafted in the first place.  Poor drafting = ambiguity.

Barry M
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.