Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to this have a Anderson Sintra 700R EP  (Read 10011 times)

cliffords

New to this have a Anderson Sintra 700R EP
« on: March 17, 2007, 06:09:38 pm »

Hello to you all.
I have bought the above speedboat ( for my son you understand)
It has twin electric motors and the model shop sold me the electrics and batteries and charger.
It charges fine and goes like stink, but the batteries are getting so hot they are melting the boat.
It almost just now caught fire , smoke etc.

I am using Carson 3300mah 7.2V  NI MH batteries as supplied by the shop, a reputable shop in Worthing West Sussex.
I will return it all on Monday , but what do you feel could cause this?

Only run twice and both times batteries have charged fine but got hot to destruction.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: New to this have a Anderson Sintra 700R EP
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 06:28:05 pm »

Hi there is a posting on this forum about these batteries which might be helpful:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1247.msg10249#msg10249

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cliffords

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:59:05 pm »

Thank you for the help
Having read the other post I am not sure what battery I should be looking to get.
Can you plse help with a suggestion that does not get roasting hot ?

thank you

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 08:07:41 pm »

Hi there.

There's only one thing worse than buying a ready to run boat and having probelms and that's spending hours building one and then having problems. Excessively hot batteries can be caused by a few reasons, the first that comes to mind is that the drive system (prop and shaft) may be binding on something (tight fit) and therefore taking far more power to turn the prop thus 'dragging' amps out of the batteries faster than advised which will make them hot. Having said that, most fast discharge batteries will get hot during discharge but not enough to melt the hull! Just disconnect the propshaft from the motor and see if it is turning freely in the tube, if not apply a little light oil (something like sewing machine oil) to the bearings at both ends of the shaft, then 'work' it a little to see if it improves. You should still be able to turn the prop quite easily by hand with a 540  on the end of it. The batteries you were supplied with should be OK if they are the sub C type, which I assume they are and even more powerful ones will no doubt get hot too, but give you a longer run time.  Everything supplied with the boat should be OK, (I assume it is a 540 motor as supplied). Does the motor get very hot as well, by that I mean would you burn yourself if you picked it up after a run?
Cheers,
Ian.
 8)

cliffords

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »

Ian
Thanks for the reply,
The boat actually has two motors connected to one shaft, it says 540 on the box, I am not sure if this means each.
Are the motors hot , not really, warm but it would not burn you. They do have a basic water cooling system that is churning quite a bit of water say it may be effective /
I will try the shaft tomorrow and see what it feels like disconnected from the motors.
The battery , one of them only actually, was so hot it has melted it's self and part pf the boat, after about 4 mins fast running

Mayhem Moderation

• Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 08:45:58 pm »

Just a thought, does it say what voltage the boat should run on?
If it's 7.2 and your are using 8.4 or 9.6 volts, that could be the reason.... just a thought.

Martin.
But What Do I Know?!?!

cliffords

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 08:58:16 pm »

No it does say 7.2v and suggests 3000 mha batteries, I bought 3300mha batteries
It does specify a different type of battery , not the NIMH the shop provided.

I just had a quick turn of the shaft and it seems to run without much resistance.
The boat actually ran extremely fast, much quicker than I had expected.
 (So i don't think the shaft is rubbing or stiff.)
Just not for very long before it got too hot in the battery area.

cliffords

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 11:33:03 am »

Checked and lubricated the shaft and prop it all turns very freely and run again now,  motors are warm batteries just pour off heat .
Assuming I return and refund these batteries 3300mah 7.2V  NI MH .

Can you please suggest a cooler alternative and possibly a reputable supplier, on line would be great.
Thanks
Addictive this boating lark, but now frustrating

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 06:05:55 pm »

Hi,

What run time are you getting?

cliffords

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 06:09:43 pm »

Can't tell it all too hot after about 5 mins.
The batteries seem to have lots left in , but they are melting

pastit

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 11:59:37 pm »

AS EX car racer one area that cooks batteries is the "plug and socket " that is used to connect batteries to the motor most commercial supply a tamiya style connection these are ok for standard single 500 type can motors running on 1800 but when one up grades to 3300 twin motor set ups they create a resistance causing excessive currant draw from cells hence hot batteries Tam style plugs are only good for approx 15 amps  Twin540s pull about 30amps, so if staying with boat change plug socket for either a DEANS or CORALLY  style connectors these are good for 50 plus amps.
Also an other area which can cause this problem is the wire used  both in cell and boat if this is not man enough i.e. large in diameter, this will draw excess current usally shows up by melted sleeving on wires.
Your Battery pack(s ) could be the fault though, Most commercial pcks are spot weld together, this gives 5or 6 tiny spots about 30 thou in dia connection between cells as one takes more and more power they have been knowm to create heat. This is why most car racers build there own cell packs or buy those from a known source. I have usedTornado 3300 packs over the last 3 yrs racing using 19turn 500 type motors and 700 bb Graupners on 14.4 they get hot this is normal but not melted anything yet.
hope this helps
George

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 07:53:38 am »

Just a thought could you run 2x 7.2 battery packs ???

I found in my victory bat boat that flat out running 2x 380 race motors the battery got hotter then the motors, best thing to do i think is run the boat flat out then back off the throttle, let everything cool down then go for it again.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 08:40:25 am »

George makes some good points and they are worth checking. I always make my own packs up and use the gold 'banana' connectors available from many model shops with copper strips inbetween each cell unless I use the end to end method with a hammerhead iron. I would expect that a manufacturer would make sure that all the equiupment in the boat (as a RTR model) was good enough for the job in hand and haven't heard of anyone else having these problems but then.....what do I know?
Cheers,
Ian
 8)

cliffords

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 04:42:04 pm »

Well
I am on the second boat and fourth set of batteries, this one fitted out by the model shop and ... guess what they started to melt.
I have spoken to the model shop and it's back tommorrow for a full refund.

So with money in hand what should I buy.
We spent about £100 on the boat and have the charger, servo's and batteries as well at about £80.

Assuming we return all and take all the money back , what do you recommend. This boat is primarily for my son (11) who wants a fast boat that looks good and has the minimum amount of building ...by me !

Any recommendations would be great

Thank you

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 06:22:26 pm »

Hi cliffords,

It could be worth getting in touch with the South Western Association of Model Boat Clubs.
They run fast electric races which include a ready to run class max 140 pounds.

http://www.swambc.webeden.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 07:10:57 pm »

What a good question, I assume you want an ARTF...

Well what do we Mayhemers recommend for an ARTF fast electric?

Martin.

Assuming we return all and take all the money back , what do you recommend. This boat is primarily for my son (11) who wants a fast boat that looks good and has the minimum amount of building ...by me !

Any recommendations would be great
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 07:14:47 pm »

ASBO www.fastelectricsrfun.co.uk/renegaderacing/Renegaderacing.htm  
Looks very good to me and I'm sure you will get lots of help with it.
Andy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 07:16:50 pm »

Try Westbournes : http://www.westbourne-models.com/erol.html#1X0
Click on "Ready Built Models"

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 07:41:15 am »

Just a surgestion but i would go with Graupners mini sprint i think its called, Easy to build, Jet powered so no prop problems and they go like stink across the lake, plus they look like a race boat which should keep him happy.

Jay

1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

cliffords

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 07:05:55 pm »

Thank you all for your help, I thought I would post the outcome. The model shop in Worthing was very helpfull and refunded all the money we had spent. Then I spent it all back again and more !

They had a beautifully made up RC Hobby Tornado with a variable speed controll and a Graupner 600 motor. It runs on 2300 8.4v sanjo battery.
The Sintra boat I originally posted on was found to be drawing far too much current for those cheap carson batteries I originally purchased.

Had a quick go just now and what a superb boat fast and very responsive, feels much more impressive than the ready to run boat.

However a question, when the batterry finally discharged , about 10 mins on full chat, it really did discharge. All stop and not even enough to get me to the bank of the lake.  It was very very cold and muddy! but all home safe now.

Is it normal to just turn off when flat, would it not have a get you home spurt left ?

Also I have two batteries and space to carry them both on board, however only one plug for the motor. Is there a way of wiring them so they are both connected for longer duration, or does this spell disaster.

Thanks again for all the help.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 07:42:44 pm »

Quick reply,

If the batteries are new they take a few charges to get to full storage.
The better matched the cells are, the faster they will drop off at the end of the run.

Normally if you give it 30 to 60 seconds they will get a bit of life back to get you back to the bank.

I have never seen a battery that gave no warning of running out of power. The boat starts to slow bring it in.

Bob

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 06:55:14 pm »

Don't leave the cells in a flat condition either, recharge at least 20% full before you put them away.
Cheers,
Ian.
 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.