Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charging battery in the boat  (Read 2131 times)

Billyruffian

Charging battery in the boat
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:26 am »

I have a Steam Drifter just about ready to to sail.  Trouble is to get to the battery I have to de-rig a lot in order to remove the hatch so as to get to the battery which is a gell cell.

As all things electrical are really a black art to me can someone tell me how I can fit a simple way of charging the battery in situ so that I can leave the battery connected and ready to run and also charge without removing it?

Thanks for any help

ACTion

Re: Charging battery in the boat
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:50 am »

Billyruffian

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:51 am »

Thanks Dave.

Just to make sure this ageing brain understands correctly - the third leg of the switch in your diagram that goes to the P103 has no connection at all for my purpose?  And I guess I just use the dual spade connectors at the battery in order to connect both the ESC and the charging switch?

Thanks for your help

ACTion

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 12:09:52 pm »

Cyril
Imagine a line drawn right across the page, just underneath the top battery > Ignore everything underneath that line.
With the switch in the ON position the battery voltage appears across the thick Red and Black wires which go to the ESC, while with the switch OFF the charging socket becomes live and the red wire to the ESC is disconnected.
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

With a gentle charge, there is no problem.  With a higher rate of charge, the SLA might gas a bit, this needs ventilating, preferably opening the hatch will do the job if keeping the battery in place is important
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Billyruffian

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:31:16 pm »

Thanks Dave.

As I am using the Electronize ESC - sorry to balspheme - which is also connected to a switch which I guess is for the BEC?  Then the switch in your diagram is an additional switch?

ACTion

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:58:29 am »

(Replied via E-Mail yesterday.)
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.