Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ride in car electrics?  (Read 4114 times)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
Ride in car electrics?
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »

All the speed controls have broke in my nippers ride in car so i want to hard wire it up for just forwad and reverse using the pedal to start/stop as it were.

Pedal at the top, on/off switch in the middle and forward/reverse switch to the right.

Cheers
Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Ride in car electrics?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »

Jay,
What motor is in it?
Couldn't you modify a mechanical speed controller?
Bob
Officially a GOG.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:44:33 pm »

The car itself has 2x 550 type motors geared to the wheels only pull about 2 amps under load on 12v.
Speed control isnt important as its just a little faster then walking pace on 12v.

As long as i can get it to go forward and backwards i think that will do.
Already put ESC on each motor with a reciever so i could drive him around the car park but he wants to do it himself.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »

Control theESCs with one or two of ACTions servo testers?  The extra control would probably be better than just having it shoot off from under him.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »

Unless you want the kudos of fixing it I would think that cost effectiveness would be to buy a new one
I have the dubious accolade of 'Ned at No6 can mend it cheap' but most kids motor rides seem to be built to a
'last for a couple of months' mantra.
Some of the stuff I have been presented with does not deserve the CE logo

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 07:02:07 pm »

It was passed onto us by another family member whose kids are a little older now and dont use it.
Through the summer holidays we had it out and had various trips out in it as it even has a steady pace with me in it.

Not worth buying another one as it must of cost a good £300+ when new. Electrics aside its worth a rewire just so my kids can drive around the carpark and down to the park when the weather is decent.

Jay

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »

Jay

"All the speed controls" - From your picture, you give the impression that it's just the pedal mechanism that's suffered mechanical failure. As Ned points out, this type of toy usually has very flimsy components. In my experience, flimsy plasic levers that have been broken can often be repaired by sandwiching them between drilled metal plates and securing with pop rivets or self tappers. Possibly easier than replacing it with a foot operated switch. - Just a thought.

Mike

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 03:04:51 am »

A micro switch under the pedal will work for a foot switch, and as long as your Fwd/Rev switch is
a double pole double throw, then it will work as a crossover switch to reverse power to the motors.

:-))

nick_75au

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:11 am »

Modified power wheels is the site you want to look at.

http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/

Has every thing you want to know plus more :}

Cheers
Nick

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 02:34:30 pm »

Mike whats displayed in the picture is only what i wish to put back in. The speed controller i took out has lots of other functions on a pcb board for sound and lights etc which isnt required at all.

The pedal is the switch for the power delivery to the motors but i just dont know which wires go to which switch poles so i can get forward and reverse which still using the red switch to shut off all power.

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 04:41:31 pm »

Jay

Sorry - my mistake!

Mike

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 04:58:04 pm »

Devil is in the detail with these things. 
What is now wanted is a double pole, double throw switch with a centre off position.  This will give forward, off and reverse, but be unable to combine them.  This last is the really important part which is difficult to avoid when two switches are involved, but vital if the magic smoke is not to be let out of the battery. 
Getting a switch like that that can handle the current might be a problem.  Two single pole ones mechanically linked might do, but the simplest way is probably to have a single pole switch working two relays, one for forward, one for reverse.  Or find a scrap car with electric windows, and have it away with the controls for that (probably what I just described).
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 21 queries.