Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Bluebird K7 plan  (Read 7250 times)

Dun1227

Model Boats Bluebird K7 plan
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »

Hi all,

I am thinking of making a 1/10 scale model of Bluebird K7 to go with my Crusader K6.

The plan was obtained years back and at the time I remember someone commented there was something wrong with it.

Can't remember what it was or whether it was true - does anyone know out there.

Thanks,

Alan C

ooyah/2

Re: Model Boats Bluebird K7 plan
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:07:44 pm »

Hi Alan,

There is a posting on this forum just below yours for TOUCHWOOD BLUEBIRD K7  but to 1/12 scale.
I can't help you regarding 1/10 th scale but you may get some ideas from this posting.

You can also access  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1383262&highlight=touchwood+bluebird+k7 where there are several you- tube videos of my K7 and Jeremybb's both of the models running on brushless motors using NimH and 3-s Lipo's.
I hope this is of some help to you.
George.

Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:28:05 pm »

Hi Alan

A guy who knows all there is to know about Bluebird K7 is Fred Blois, e-mail: f.blois@btinternet.com.  He may well be able to help you.  Was your Crusader a working or a static model?  I would be interested to learn more.  Good luck with your endeavours.

Jeremy

Dun1227

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:55:08 pm »

Hi Jeremy and George,

It is a bit of a long story but basically I had built a Wren 54 gas turbine and I decided to build a model of Bluebird K7 to put it in so I bought the plan. At the time my youngest son had been reading  the book by Richard Noble about Thrust SSC which has a mention of John Cobb and Crusader. After telling him the history I decided to build Crusader instead. With hindsight I should have built it bigger so there would have been more room around the engine but the real problem was the all up weight of the boat was about half the thrust of the engine. An unguided missile is not my idea of fun so the only time it has run was with an electric ducted fan never with the jet. So it was intended as a working model but has been a static display on my wall for the last nine years.

It was seeing the videos of Crusader and Bluebird running brushless motors and props that rekindled my interest.

Have been in touch with Fred and bought the CD from him with the K7 plans. Today I had the Model boats plan rescaled from 1 to 8.4 to 1 to 10. No immediate plans to start building because I have to finish my Mersey first.

Yours,

Alan C

ooyah/2

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:28 am »

Hi Alan,
Have you seen Ernie Lazenby's Touchwood K7 on you-tube,  K7 in F/Glass is still available from Touchwood. @ 1/6 scale.     
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNBRa3oKit8  his is to 1/6 th scale , Ernie  no longer builds due to ill health.
Do you feel that 1/10 th scale would be big enough to accommodate a gas turbine and it's electronics ?

I also built a gas turbine with the intention of building a 1/6 scale model , after building the engine it dawned on me that our club pond was too small and after some correspondence with Don Walkinshaw on the time taken on his runs  and the length of water required, I decided to sell the engine and built the 1/12 scale version with brushless motor and 3s Lipo's.

My engine was the KJ66 build from spare parts and other bits machined by myself, it never ran on gas but with 150 psi injected into the compressor it went supersonic and vibration free, sadly Loch Lomond was the only place that I could run it, but with all the necessary equipment and chase boats required, I abandoned the project, here are some pics of the engine.
George.

Dun1227

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:15:19 pm »

Hi George,

Never seen that video before - thanks.

I think a 1/10 K7 is probably too small to take a GT. From memory the K6 was a bit bigger than K7 and it was a real shoehorn job to get it all in. A Wren 54 is significantly smaller than a KJ66. Wren do or did a smaller GT which they said was too difficult for amateurs to get to work so they only sold complete engines - Wren 44? That might work but you still have to fit all the ancillaries.

The Model Boats plan was to an odd scale of 1" to 8.4" suspect this might have been chosen with a GT in mind.

Looks like you made a nice job of the KJ66.

Yours,

Alan C

ooyah/2

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:30:59 am »

Hi Alan,
Thank's for your comment on the KJ66, the other thing that put me off was the electronics required as well a s plenty of water to run it on.
I have the drawing of the K7 at 1/8.4 which I thought was an odd size.
Best of luck in the future and possibly the 1/6 scale would be better.
George.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 19 queries.