Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans DUKW  (Read 2564 times)

Cornishman

Deans DUKW
« on: October 11, 2011, 05:49:01 pm »

Some time ago I bought a Deans DUKW kit, Robbe axles ( for 6 wheel Drive) and two MFA geared motors. I built the rear suspension as per Deans instructions and set it up to have a fore/aft driveshaft driven by a toothed belt arrangement from a 11:1 MFA motor. I have tried it with a 6V lead acid battery, but I can't get it to drive properly. It appears that the transmission requires a lot of torque, and it suffers from belt slip. Also I found that on full suspension travel, the rear drive shaft will drop out.
      I was wondering what arrangement other builders have made, what motors, batteries etc have been used.
      I am currently considering just putting the lot up for sale, but would like one more try to get it right.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deans DUKW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:03:36 pm »

you could try one of the 540 motors designed for rock crawlers and trucks

I have this one in my Tamiya King Hauler and its got some real  low down grunt :D
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Carson-Poison-Truck-Motor-p/c906023.htm

As for the drive shafts you could try sleeving them with a little bit of silicone tubing I have put sone over the driveshaft cups on my boys tamiya TC cars and it works well :)

Good luck with the build tho :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:13:52 am »

Hi John

Trying to post some pictures but its coming up errors on here, will try again later..

Thanks

Russ

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:17:38 am »

Pics

Cornishman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:38 am »

Thanks Russ,
                          I see you have not used the aircraft wheels that Deans suggest, what are yours. Did you use two MFA motors, one for the front wheels and one for the rear, and if so what ratio and what voltage do you run them at?  I am interested in what your drive shafts are, and do you drive through raebosch or similar universals to be able to offset your motors? Looks like you may have used model car shafts, am I correct

I tried to drive both front and rear wheels with a common front to rear shaft which was toothed belt driven from one 11:1 MFA at 6 volts, but it didn't drive very well, it didn't seem to be low enough gear.

Regards,
                   John

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:25 am »

Hi John

The motors used were MFA 970D with a ratio of 2.5:1, these worked well on 6 volts with one doing the front axle and one doing the rear two axles.  The wheels and tyres were sourced in Germany and these were exact scale..

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:08:08 am »

Dont give up John, after a lot of effort they turn out to be an excellent model...

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:14:19 pm »

I was planning on using Tamiya parts for the drivetrain including the 3 speed transmission from their range of trucks.... only gives you drive to the rear wheels but I was thinking that would be adequate.  Also 6WD upgrade kits are available online so I would have looked into going all wheel drive later.

Seeing those pics has got the brain churning again lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.