Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: RE EBAY LISTING BEWARE IS THIS RON BOAT OR NOT ??????  (Read 18674 times)

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RE EBAY LISTING BEWARE IS THIS RON BOAT OR NOT ??????
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:31 am »

As much as I dont like Paypal, the one thing I have noticed in my years of using them, is that they will always blame the "seller" irrespective of reasons involved if there is a dispute.

Particularly so where there are claims of Non delivery - the seller has to provide proof of delivery or they will lose everytime.

And in Paypals small print it states that they Paypal must have access to online proof of delivery - now obviously this can be contentious and of course NOT all courier firms have such a facility. In the past on a couple of occasions I took issue with them and pointed out that a certified receipt provided to me by a courier was sufficient proof and they backed down. In the early days of Royal Mail Special Delivery they did not have this online facility and Paypal tried refusing to accept their supplied printed proof - threatening them with County Court action soon turned that attitude around.

However if YOU pay by Paypal and you collect the goods, that throws up another case of worms potentially. As a buyer you could claim subsequently that you have not had the goods and the seller has to prove this somehow - I wonder how many times this has happened. And before anyone says it, addresses stored by Ebay are not necessarily accurate at all, all they are concerned with is taking as many fees as they can get, not security when opening accounts.

AND of course lets not forget Ebay INSISTS that Paypal is offered on all auctions, and it is outside their terms of trading to put in a listing Cash Only accepted as method of payment - if someone complains they pull the advert and do not reimburse your listing fee always.

Mind you of course there can be problems with transactions whereby you meet up with someone and hand over CASH - how do you know the police are not going to come knocking on your door in the future for buying stolen goods ?

What do we all do - lock ourselves in our houses and not come out in the future or do we take our chances in the big bad world full of scammers and thieves ?

nhp651

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:14 am »

I stuck the boot in last night and reported him and his escapades to Merseyside police giving the dealings on ebay, the Kawasaki forum and his modelling web site as fraudulent daliances......pity more of us don't take the same strong line....only takes a phone call or an email, and he'll be right in the S ***.

neil.

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 10:41:35 am »

Very true Neil - some Police Forces are more receptive to Internet Fraud these days.

Pity all of them are not - once went to report an issue a couple of years back, and as soon as they heard the word Ebay they were disinterested.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 11:02:24 am »

Not much use where you guys are but I know Essex Police has a very good Internet Fraud dept.

Someone tried to pull a fast one a few years ago claiming I didn't post something.
He was happy once he saw the Royal mail receipts and tickets.  Apparently its a common scam.  Wait a month or so and then go to the police as most people will chuck the tickets away once it shows a delivered

Something to bear in mind tho If you send something recorded, even once its been delivered keep the tickets.  You never know when they might be needed.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

thelegos

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 11:38:33 am »

A couple of years ago I sold an RC car to a chap in Belgium through another club site for Tamiya cars and he paid me through Paypal as 'goods'. Even though it wasn't an ebay sale it was a convenient way to move funds.

After a couple of months he complained to Paypal that it was never received without even consulting me and they stopped my account instantly!! I had not kept the receipts and the only way I could get my account reinstated was to refund £155  >>:-(

Almost a year later the car turned up in his club showroom which I'd been watching like a hawk  :police:  luckily I had kept pictures of it and all the mail exchanges with him and paypal and could instantly prove to the club moderators what had happened and they were good enough to take it up with him on my behalf. He claimed it had arrived six months late smashed to bits which didn't stack up with the pictures he posted and even if this had been true it's no excuse for theft or fraud  <*< luckily for me he paid up as I'm not sure how Paypal would have reacted or how long it would have taken to sort through them.

So, moral is that it's not just ebay transactions where you are at risk but any transaction where you've used Paypal to pay for goods and unfortunately, as someone said earlier as a seller you're considered guilty until proven innocent  >:-o

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2011, 11:43:28 am »

Anyone wanting horror stories on Paypal should read the forums on www.paypalsucks.com  -- they are a law unto themselves at times it would seem.

treeboa

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2011, 11:44:52 am »

unfortunatly as seen ebay is an ideal place for scammers - both ways  and flogging stolen goods, one reason i tend to either collect it myself or deal with people that have a good feedback, i have had a few blatent lies told too me recently, seen a few radio`s that i was interested in but as they did not say what band they were i have asked - ive had a few replies back now saying the likes of  ` hi, its 35 but all aircraft are now using 2.4 so its ok on water`

Stiggolas

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »

So pleased the OP got their money back, I've always been very wary of scammers buying from me and claiming non delivery, so I always make sure I keep postage receipts until I've received feedback. I have a few outstanding from a few months ago so I'm waiting for the fallout!! I have been known to stand some postage costs myself if I'm worried about the package. I recently sold an item and quoted Royal mail second class, but bottled out and sent it UPS!! Cost me another 6 quid!! Oh well.....

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »

Also get yourself a prepay mastercard to link to your paypal account and use for online dealings.  Only put on what you're going to spend, that way no one gets access to any of you bank details
This is the one I use
http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/

There is a small fee but its nothing compared with some of the alternatives
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

fatcat123

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2011, 01:35:32 pm »

on reason i don't use ebay anymore aswell as the countless other reasons... is because i once had an issue with paypal and rang them. I got a rubbish response and so i kicked off, next thing i know my account had been cancelled and would never be re-opened. the only way to open a new one is to change address and close all my bank accounts and then open a new one.

Don't think so some how...

Dan

thelegos

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 01:47:22 pm »

I like the sound of the prepaid Mastercard  O0

That has to be the way forward for on-line shopping and definitely worth a look.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 02:40:01 pm »

I still buy Ink cartridges for my printer off Ebay but only from a supplier that I've been using for the last 5 years ( 4 sets of colour and 8 black , 20 cartridges in total with free delivery for £8.50 from England , ok all refilled but I've never had one fail and considering official Epson inks are around a tenner each..... )

When I get round to having a clear out of the hulls I won't build I'll list them on here at least I know the guys on here so nowhere near the risks of problems that you get on Ebay
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 04:33:28 pm »

Hi

I've had over a hundred purchases on Ebay (many international) and have only been done once for £52 - and that was by a UK scooter guy I had bought from him before too - said the item was misplaced etc etc. I use Ebay a lot but if something looks even slightly odd to me I walk away, and there has to be a lot of 'selling' feedback too.

Oh yes and there was once a USA guy who had doubled the amount on the Paypal site when I went to pay - it would have been easy to miss seeing that one.

All in all though I couldn't have found parts for my 1950's german scooters without Ebay.

Regards Norseman

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:23 pm »

I know hindsight is a marvelous thing but if I was paying hundreds for somethin from ebay regardless of reputable feedback or not, I would want to pick up in person and see the goods before parting with the money.  An item for a tenner, 50 or even say 75 quid I would risk to paypal but hundreds no.  And any item that says pick up or delivery only after cleared funds just sets the alarm bells ringing.  I tried to buy a Lamby frame and bits last year for a bargain buy it now price but even though it was only 25 miles away and I could pick up in an hour the seller insisted I pay by paypal first then pick up.  I walked away.  I really do hope you have your money refunded and these robbing Bs are brought to book.

well I know this is off topic so apologies but, I always or nearly always stipulate cleared funds before the item is posted. Are you seriously saying you expect the seller to post before he has received money?

You wouldnt be able to pay for a car and drive it away immediately unless you paid cash. If you pay by cheque \ credit card or other method, the seller expects to have your money before you drive away.

The long Build

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:41 pm »

Yes but is,nt this stating cleared in my account.. Not paypal account but his / her bank account,ie buyer has paid and then seller has transfred the funds from paypal to their account.. ebay rules once paid on ebay/paypal goods must be delivered within the designated time frame.?

The way Ebay is at the moment a seller would not last long if items were not delivered within 2-3 days

mikearace

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31:07 pm »

well I know this is off topic so apologies but, I always or nearly always stipulate cleared funds before the item is posted. Are you seriously saying you expect the seller to post before he has received money?

No im not saying that, Im saying if I could pick something up and pay cash on collection why would I do what some people on ebay insist on which is making payment by paypal first then coming to collect it.  I certainly wouldn't expect someone to let me collect the goods take them away and then pay but in the example that I gave that happened to me, and perhaps I didnt make this quite clear, I wanted to buy something, drive through to them and give the seller cash and then take item away. THis seller insisted he had to have the payment made through paypal first then I could come an pick it up as he wouldnt accept cash on collection.   And I have seen quite a few ebay ads for high priced goods that say 'full amount to be paid within 24/48 hours etc before Item can be collected'.  If your collecting it why cant the seller accept cash?   May have a genuine reason but whats more simple than cash on collection?

The long Build

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »

I think that there is something about paying cash, and the buyers have said that they never collected it and have put in a claim or something and then the buyer gets there money back as Ebay will only accept Recorded/special delivery as proof of posting.. or something like that..

Just looking at the ebay board it is actually better for the seller to accept cash and not pp  so pass..!!  The boards seem to say even if they live next door have it delivered.. obviously not always possible but then thats ebay

garston1

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2011, 05:54:19 pm »

hello, if anyone's interested I'm selling the website name 'Model boat Mayhem' it's really mine and you can have it for £200 cash. Send pound notes to Mr Asif po box 33, flat one just above the sweetshop merseyside. I'll send you the name, honest!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2011, 06:14:10 pm »

Only £200-00,
If you give me your bank details you can recover the £20 Trillion pounds owed to me, take half of that for your trouble and take off the £200-00 for the Domain Name.

Anonymous
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2011, 06:33:41 pm »

hello, if anyone's interested I'm selling the website name 'Model boat Mayhem' it's really mine and you can have it for £200 cash. Send pound notes to Mr Asif po box 33, flat one just above the sweetshop merseyside. I'll send you the name, honest!

Deal!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2011, 08:27:32 pm »

No im not saying that, Im saying if I could pick something up and pay cash on collection why would I do what some people on ebay insist on which is making payment by paypal first then coming to collect it.  I certainly wouldn't expect someone to let me collect the goods take them away and then pay but in the example that I gave that happened to me, and perhaps I didnt make this quite clear, I wanted to buy something, drive through to them and give the seller cash and then take item away. THis seller insisted he had to have the payment made through paypal first then I could come an pick it up as he wouldnt accept cash on collection.   And I have seen quite a few ebay ads for high priced goods that say 'full amount to be paid within 24/48 hours etc before Item can be collected'.  If your collecting it why cant the seller accept cash?   May have a genuine reason but whats more simple than cash on collection?

Ebay see 'cash on collection' as a potential means of avoiding their (excessive!) charges. So they try and force you to use paypal to make sure they get their pound of flesh while at the same time, promoting buyer safety should anything go wrong.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2011, 10:11:42 pm »

Hi Alan,

Any response from Ebay or Paypal yet?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RyanB

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2011, 11:09:07 pm »

I very nearly bought the Oxford First Time Panniers of this guy but he wanted payment via goods and for me to pay his ebay fees, he was told to do one, which I am glad about now...

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »

I see your man is not a registered user now.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »

On E'bay at the moment.

This listing (270832318650) has been removed, or this item is not available.

Some sort of response I suppose.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.