Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Value of boats  (Read 4746 times)

fatcat123

Value of boats
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »

Hi all,

Im contemplating selling some of my models, if not all.

The issue is the price. I dont want to sell the item for less than its cost me to make but at the same time i want to sell them for a realistic amount without making a loss.

Now the models im talking about here are my tug, which is a modified wyeforce which has had a lot of money spent on it and its physical value is around the £650 mark, but whos gona pay that for a wyeforce?

Same story with my barge, thats plywood but has had a decent amount spent on it, the paints probably in the region of £50 alone.

My waveney, pretty much as standard.

All in all hundreds of pounds of electronics to power all this stuff.

What does one do? I appreciate my building skills are not worth anything but i still want to get my money back.

Dan  {:-{

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Value of boats
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:33 pm »

We are all in the same boat  (if you'll pardon the pun)

I have found that you rarely get back the costs of the boat and this does not even include the time spent building them.

Best of luck

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

fatcat123

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:27:27 pm »

Building them, i'll let that go because i enjoyed it.

I refuse to use ebay for anything and so it would mean using mayhem with a fixed price.

Would i be wrong for posting pics up of what i have and people giving their honest valuations? Obviously i don't wish it to turn into an auction, i just respect member's opinions as 90% of the time, they have considerably more experience than me.

Dan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »

You could post them for sale in the sales section with pictures and prices to suit.  The resultant replies would be an indication as to the interest. Auctions are not allowed but you might get offers to think about.

Hope this helps   :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

andyn

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:02 pm »

First question is why would you want to sell up all your models?

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »

you just have to hunt around for a buyer, dan, and when the right buyer comes along he/she will pay the price you want.

I have my Clyde up for sale at £2600.....I know many will scoff and say..no chance, but hey ho.......it only takes one person to truely realise that it is worth it to them, and they'll buy............

put them around on different sites, contact people you feel might be interested and do a bit of selling your self and your boat, and if you aren't in a hurry....that buyer will come along. just have patience, matey.

neil.

fatcat123

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:10 pm »

First question is why would you want to sell up all your models?

Well, i dont want to sell them but i hardly ever get them out or get chance to and im sick of the lack of space i have.

I was at the balne moor tug tow on sunday and that was the first or second time the tug and barge have been out this year.

The money would come in useful to put towards my flying or whatever else.

Dan

fatcat123

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:46:01 pm »

you just have to hunt around for a buyer, dan, and when the right buyer comes along he/she will pay the price you want.

I have my Clyde up for sale at £2600.....I know many will scoff and say..no chance, but hey ho.......it only takes one person to truely realise that it is worth it to them, and they'll buy............

put them around on different sites, contact people you feel might be interested and do a bit of selling your self and your boat, and if you aren't in a hurry....that buyer will come along. just have patience, matey.

neil.

To which i think your price is reasonable because i followed your build of it and saw the effort its taken, plus  1 of only a handful in existence..

As for the right buyer, yes you have a point, I just resent ebay.

I am tempted at a mobile marine models huge ft-x tug thing also!  ;D

Dan

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:12:48 pm »

Dan,
It is the same old adage the model is worth what someone is willing to buy it for.
As a rule of thumb if you saw your models for sale in a shop window how much would YOU pay for them.
In reality most kit models reach the kit price when finished unless it is a really special model then the sky is the limit IF YOU FIND THE RIGHT BUYER.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:10 am »

Have a look at this site:

http://www.preloved.co.uk/

It's not auctions, just free classified ads.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:43:18 am »

ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

I am tempted at a mobile marine models huge ft-x tug thing also!  ;D

Dan
[/quote]

what  --  something like this !

fatcat123

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:45:25 am »

Yeah thats pompy boy's of the tug forum. its a nice bit of kit.

I had a look at the mouldings at the balne moor tug tow at the weekend as a guy has a bare shell for sale there. its big, very big.

Dan

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:13 am »

Hi Dan I have looked at your builds & they are first class all the way. I wish I lived in the U/K I am sure I would be spending money with you very fast. Try sending all your information to ALL the CLUBS that you can think of in fact make up a little leaflet to send out & also send some to the model shops near you. As for price I would start high, you can always reduce the price with an interested buyer but I can tell you from experience you can't increase the price very easily. It is a sad fact that you can't get anywhere near what it cost you to build, & you will never get paid for your time & skill. I hope you are not quitting the hobby as you would be sadly missed by a lot of folks. Mick B.
Mick B.

fatcat123

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 03:31:19 pm »

Hi Mick,

i don't know about first class. Far from it infact.

No i'm not giving up modelling, Far from it, i just have no space to store things. When my speedline Trent is finished, that is going to have to live at the girlfriends. I tried to talk her into letting me keep a mobile marine models ft-x there aswell but she was having none of it.

Dan

nhp651

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 04:05:36 pm »

get a new girlfriend Dan........... O0 {-) {-) %% %% %%

fatcat123

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »

Ive thought about it and despite her downsides, i wouldnt swap her.

:}

ACTion

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 04:41:10 pm »

Dan
Good idea for persuading SWMBO -
If you plan the installation in the FT-X very carefully then you could remove all the electronics in one go and use the hull as a baby's bath........................ :o
........but then again.............. %)
Dave M

fatcat123

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:51 pm »

Good idea Dave,

However i don't have a child and i certainly wont be having one for a long long time, if ever..

Good thinking though.   :}

Hope your well anyway

Dan

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 04:52:18 pm »

Hi Dan, give what I suggested a try & ignore Dave his mind is always in the gutter. Mick B.
Mick B.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »

It's all very well saying you don't like Ebay, but not using it means denying yourself the largest market in the world. My wife packed seven parcels this morning, and only one of them was for a UK buyer. Don't ask me why people in New Zealand and Switzerland buy glue from a little shop in Yorkshire, nor an Australian flypapers but, thanks to Ebay, they do. The other destinations were Norway, Israel, and Italy. Lifebuoy soap that last one!

There are times when Ebay annoys me intensely, and it and Paypal are hardly cheap, but I can see which side my bread is buttered. From your point of view, there are serious collectors of model boats who watch all relevant auctions, including Ebay, and an auction establishes the true value of an item (at that time).
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.