Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multimeter Maplins (on offer)  (Read 2895 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Multimeter Maplins (on offer)
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »

Hi

I looked in Maplins for a voltmeter and page http://www.maplin.co.uk/manual-ranging-digital-multimeter-with-transistor-test-44679 has one on offer until 01/11/11 for £9.99 and that is saving a tenner on the usual price.

At the moment all I want to do is check battery voltage but I wondered if I will want to do more as I get further into RC? So is this one that you would want to have handy? Or can you point me elsewhere. A few pounds more won't matter if I am only paying out once (I bought some cheap chisels once and threw them away as useless).

Regards Norseman

petermun

Re: Multimeter Maplins (on offer)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:22:32 pm »

Unless you are into advanced electronics, it is unlikely that you will need the transistor testing facility, but for the price it is worth buying.  Pete M

ACTion

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:08 pm »

I use this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-multimeter-with-dc-current-measurement-4402 as I find the continuity tester buzzer invaluable for tracing shorts and open circuits. Like Peter says, however, you may never use some of the other facilities.
Suit yourself, as someone once said.
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:30:56 pm »

If I was shopping for one, thats about what I would go for.  Good spec, sensible price.  If you insist, you can spend a lot more and not have anything noticeably better.  The only downside, which is common to all digital meters, is that eventually you forget to turn it off, and the week after, the battery has gone flat.
Like Dave says, a continuity buzzer is a wonderful thing, but is usually a/ on pricier units b/ rarely loud enough except in a quiet environment.  Does save poking with the probes, then looking at the screen, though.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:49:51 am »

I just bought one from WWW. Component-shop-co-uk for the sum of 3 pound ninety nine. I have received it & tested it & it works perfectly. It even has the battery with it. You should check them out. I also got wire ties for 40p per 100. They also delivered fast, less than a week to Canada. Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:33:55 pm »

Cheers Irishcarguy

I was going to pick one up on monday from Maplins but I'll look at your suggestion first.

Regards Norseman

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:22:23 pm »

These are standard Chinese multi-meters, being sold under many different names. A good price for one would be between £3-£5. Here is an Amazon query - you will see that even with postage you can get them cheaper than £10: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=multimeter&x=17&y=18

Cheapest I can see on ebay, including postage, is £2 from China and £3.47p from the UK. Mine cost me £5.50 a few years ago, and it's worked fine... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.