Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 46" Gas F1 Tunnel 2011 build  (Read 51815 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: 46" Gas F1 Tunnel 2011 build
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 03:08:45 pm »

the small club pool is refilling nicely, water level is sufficient for the majority of boats, but need a few more inches for sail boats.

debris in the pool, you will get anywhere, its not contained to just ours daz.

We tend to find that our members who sail sensibly sized and powered boats can enjoy the size of the pool without problem.

ok, so someone catches a plastic bag or clogs a water pickup, but thats model boating.

if you want clear water, hire a swimming pool, but dont drink it ! as things still happen in that too ! [ha ha].
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

F1 madness

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2012, 03:15:20 pm »

I know youll get debris anywhere and at any pool,the pool iv been running theres not as its not used by any1else
But when people are feeding the ducks and swans and chucking the rubbish in the pool and boaters are getting bags wrapped round there props etc risking the burning up there electronics.
good to here the pool is refilling though.

F1 madness

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 11:43:42 am »

Bit more done on the false outboard cowl,resined in the mesh and installed a piece of brass tube,this will connect to the exhaust tip using silicon pipe,mounting bracket all done and reinforced the area aswell.
all sanded down now and prepped for paint.
The main hull is almost ready just finishing of a couple of bit inside centerpod and the canopy needs final bit of filling and sanding.
Should have it all ready for paint by end of tomorrow.

False outboard cowl

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »

Hi Daz looking forward to seeing her painted up m8,just one  thing i was thinking about looking at the outboard cowl is as its got no bottom i wonder if the roostertail will hit it and force it to break off ? might be an idea to put a bottom on it somehow to help deflect water.It might not hit it its hard to tell as your props not on there yet,if its far enough back it may not be an issue just wondered  ;).Its looking good so far.
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11:46 pm »

Cheers mart
Cant wait myself,been along time coming this build and alot of hardwork and thought gone into it.
As regards the rooster tail it should be ok i did mount the prop etc just didnt get a pic we'll find out on maiden run,though the 1st couple of tanks will be running in so nice and steady to start.
still undecided on colours etc so will have alook when i go to paint shop.im hopng next week to have it all in primer
The outboard cowl is now primed so getting there slowly,run out ofiller so will pick some up tomorrow to finish the last of the filling on canopy and sanding down,i can get that in primer aswell before the weekend,that will just leave the main hull :}

F1 madness

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »

Hi guys
These will be the final pics like this,cos the next time it will be covered in paint
all the prep work and construction is now completed.gotta say im real happy with how its turned out and looks so far,still undecided on colours though, but either way cant wait to get it painted and start the final part of the build ready for maiden voyage

Now in primer,wet flatted ready for paint

Craig Dickson

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »

Hi

I have been watching these threads with fascination.

A lot of excellent quality comes through here and it is a pleasure to see.

Do please promise us to upload a you tube clip of your F1 in action in due course!

Cheers
Craig :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 07:57:58 pm »

Hi

I have been watching these threads with fascination.

A lot of excellent quality comes through here and it is a pleasure to see.

Do please promise us to upload a you tube clip of your F1 in action in due course!

Cheers
Craig :-))

Thank Craig
I will post pics of final build & vids once it hits the water for you no probs :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 12:24:36 pm »

Heres the 1st pics of it now in primer
Got my new heater now so its baking LOL

Pics of it with marker coat

Once fully hardened will wet sand with 800g till all nice and smooth,any black areas/where the marker coat is left behind these will be imperfections will sort these ares out and then ready to start the top coats/colours

F1 madness

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »

Just finished the canopy.just gotta wait now till fully hardened ready for wet sanding

marker coat

cuppa

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:43 pm »

Really nice work and a very interesting and informative thread Sir!

F1 madness

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »

Thanks cuppa,its getting there now,couple of days wet sanding now
still cant decide on colours etc yet either %)

gwa84

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:45 pm »

orenge  :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:52 pm »

I did think about doing like my other 1,orange and white
but also considered:
red & White
Red & black
sliver and orange
Red & silver
Orange & silver
Black & orange
Yellow
Red on it owns
Or that blue on the focus ST and white
argh so many %%

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:14 pm »

Personally I would not wet flat it but dry flat it...............WHY well simple really water and primer doesnt mix as primer is porus and in this Weather it will take days for the water to FULLY dry out.Wet flatting isnt used in bodyshops no more due to later probems with Micro Blistering
But it's your boat your choice

Dave

F1 madness

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:39 pm »

hi dave appreciate your input
But this is the way iv always done i used to work in body for many yrs restoring classic cars and never had a problem with this way,as long as you dont completely soak it and let it dry through throughly its not an issue,especially now got the workshop heated other wise i wouldnt even of painted it either

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2012, 12:14:37 am »

Do we take it, you've been kicked outdoors now daz?  [looking at the photo's] After al that time in sheer luxury in the house [ha ha].

yep, stick to wet flatting daz, gives a far finer finish than dry flatting, plus  when wet flatting, the paper can be reused more often as it dont clog up, as with dry flatting, once the paper is clogged, its bin time.

incidentally, micro blistering is caused by trapped thinners in the primer and/or paint, if not left to fully dry between coats, its not water from flatting and the majority of bodyshiops still "wet flat" to keep the dust levels down in the shop. Not many shops can afford to put the car in the paint booth to just dry flat a panel, way too expensive.

How about the old "blue n orange"  Gulf team racing colours ?
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

F1 madness

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2012, 08:03:50 am »

Hey steve
Yep now iv got the workshop sorted im out there now LOL,but its great with the new heater and lighting i can be in there till all hours LOL
Iv always wet flatted,if it aint broke dont fix it,you yourself have seen the paint jobs and how they turn out iv always had really good finish on them
I did look at at the gulf colour iv got a pic of GT40 in them and wondered ok2

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »

I dare say if you talk to Nige "nicely|" he could be encouraged to make you a full set of " Gulf" decals to go with the paintwork.

you have to admit, the colour scheme is so tempting......................

if the top section of the main cabin was white, then orange stripe to level of the main deck, then light blue deck & sponsons, with further orange stripe along the sides of the sponsons.....................
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

F1 madness

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 07:35:15 pm »

LOl we'll see
gotta spend out on car tax 1st so gonna be a couple of weeks before i can get the paint + i gotta get it flatted :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:36 pm »

Hi guys just a quick update
Finally finished the wetsanding,next step is to sort the minor imperfections that have showed in the primer from the marker coat,then got to reprime and flat again,also picked up the basecoat colours and black for the outboard cowl
just need to get clearcoat but nowhere near ready for that yet so will pick that up next week.

F1 madness

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2012, 06:36:52 pm »

Painted the false outboard cowl,came out ok

F1 madness

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

Update
Reprimed the main yesterday and left to bake in workshop,got it all wetsanded today and just finished the big clean LOL,shes now ready for final colours hopefully tomorrow,just got to finish sorting out the canopy and get that reprimed and wetflatted.
Also decided on design so a trip down the grafix shop tomorrow with what i got etc and get that sorted while doing the basecoat colours.

F1 madness

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2012, 02:02:50 pm »

Well guys,its all wetsanded now and ready for final paint so not far to go now

Been to grafix shop this morning and sorted them out,they will be ready in the next few days

F1 madness

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:39 pm »

Painted hull bottom,been baking in workshop for a few hrs now.
Just need to let it fully harden and give it a light wetflatting with some 1000g,and paint the top deck and canopy then lacquer the whole thing in 1 go.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.