Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Agh, I thought the holes were bad!!!  (Read 3531 times)

g4yvm

Agh, I thought the holes were bad!!!
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:54:42 pm »

I think I have laid what must be a thousand metres of deck planking and it's still no where near finished!!  Oh well, slowly slowly catchee monkey!!!

I was interested in what someone else termed "Darnell middle age spread" a while ago: mine certainly has it.  The top and bottom will need need pegging I reckon!!

Pics soon!!

David

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Agh, I thought the holes were bad!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:24 am »

It does ones heart good to someone enjoying themselves so much ........keep up the good work looking forward to seeing the pics
Andy
Right which one will I do next?;)

thegrimreaper

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:08:39 am »

good practice for when SWMBO insists on a kitchen floor in the same style

cant wait to see the pictures David

Regards Mark

g4yvm

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:14:56 pm »

Here we are, decking as a work in progress.  I cut big holes and lots of little ones to aid the flooding through the gaps in the deck planks. Deck planks are pretty much scale as are the gaps according to photos I have measured.

The grilles are from MMB and are not exact scale (well, the grilles might be, but the locations and numbers might be suspect.  YOU might notice, little Johnny at the pool wont!).  I think I am putting off the dreaded time to decide on the exact ballast system!

Note that the hatches are not yet fitted and the inside of the conning tower still needs its planking completed. Progress is slow but satisfying.

David

andyn

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:21:53 pm »

The grilles are from MMB and are not exact scale

The grilles were designed the same size as the Darnell scribed ones. Unfortunately the Darnell ones aren't very accurate.

Looks great though!

Andy :-)

g4yvm

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »

Andy, yes mate I clocked that. I am not knocking the MMB grilles though!!  They saved tonnes of work.  If I'd wanted true scale I would not have bought Darnell!  Stand-off scale is fine, in fact I thought SoS was a super class!

David

andyn

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:15:52 pm »

Know you're not mate, just wanted to clear that up ;)

The OTW kit is a lovely model, even bigger, better detailed and the price reflects it. The Darnell one builds into a nice looking model, accurate or not.

Andy :-)

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 05:20:42 pm »

If I may offer some advice the planks should be based on a skeletal joist base and not placed over a flat deck with some holes in it at various places as per the pics.

I ONLY mention this as this COULD lead to you having issues with trapped air under the deck as it will not be able to escape
and thus great problems with stability and diving issues.

Hopefully are a couple of pics as to what I mean.

Regards sub.

g4yvm

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:43:37 pm »

Sub.

Yes thanks for the info, I had considered that.  Im in two minds aboiut making the cross members appear to be present, even though they are not.

I have considered trapped air and trim and have thus taken a few liberties with extra holes to prevent this.  If I am right, all will be fine!

I do appreciate the input though!!

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.